Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 16:31   #1

Target list issue

I see lots of ais targets. But, if I open one and click Target List, I see much too few targets. Any ideas why? FYI, that problem was in 4.8.4, for the fun of it, I just upgraded to .6. Please see attachment. I get ais data from a Comar slr350ni. I send data to MarineTraffic and a UDP connection to this win10 pc. Thanks
CaptNorm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 17:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Target list issue

I can not confirm that one - seems to be correct here - currently target count 110 targets - seems to be realistic compared to what I se on my screen.
can it be that you have a low value for " Limit range :NM " setting in the target info window ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNorm42 View Post
I see lots of ais targets. But, if I open one and click Target List, I see much too few targets. Any ideas why? FYI, that problem was in 4.8.4, for the fun of it, I just upgraded to .6. Please see attachment. I get ais data from a Comar slr350ni. I send data to MarineTraffic and a UDP connection to this win10 pc. Thanks
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 17:40   #3

My screen shot shows I'm using the default of 1000 NM limit range. Thanks for the attempt.

I counted about 135 targets, Target list says 29. Program has been running roughly 1 hour, LOTS of targets nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I can not confirm that one - seems to be correct here - currently target count 110 targets - seems to be realistic compared to what I se on my screen.
can it be that you have a low value for " Limit range :NM " setting in the target info window ??
Old 07-08-2018, 19:57   #4

Learned something interesting. Noticed no range and bearing, see attachment. For the fun of it. upped limit range from 1000 NM to 10000. Now I see, probably the right number, 173 targets. My guess is my Comar receiver is not outputting GPS data, which is causing this issue.

How can I manually tell OpenCPN my GPS coordinates? I tried MOB function, it puts MOB on east coast, roughly 2000 NM away.

Quote:
My screen shot shows I'm using the default of 1000 NM limit range. Thanks for the attempt.

I counted about 135 targets, Target list says 29. Program has been running roughly 1 hour, LOTS of targets nearby.
Old 07-08-2018, 20:54   #5

Made some progress. Connected my HX870 radio (that has built in GPS), made another OpenCPN Connection of that com port, Range & Bearing now show up. If I shut down & bring OpenCPN back up, need to re-connect HX radio, guess that makes sense.

I still would like to see if there is any way to manually enter GPS data to OpenCPN.

Thanks

Quote:
Learned something interesting. Noticed no range and bearing, see attachment. For the fun of it. upped limit range from 1000 NM to 10000. Now I see, probably the right number, 173 targets. My guess is my Comar receiver is not outputting GPS data, which is causing this issue.

How can I manually tell OpenCPN my GPS coordinates? I tried MOB function, it puts MOB on east coast, roughly 2000 NM away.
Old 09-08-2018, 13:58   #6

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
I still would like to see if there is any way to manually enter GPS data to OpenCPN.
My suggest is you either move the ship symbol to desired position by the right mouse menu and click "Move boat here" or buy yourself a cheep GPS-puck.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28   #7

Looks like "move boat here" should solve problem, solves just part of problem. That puts the icon of my location at the right place and fills in lots of targets (lot more than default of boat position on east coast). But, notice Range & Bearing are not calculated, see attachment. Notice, "boat" is due west of blue highlighted vessel in list".

Then I connected the GPS (vhf radio) and range data immediately filled it, see attachment.

Almost looks to me like a bug in the program. I feel "move boat here" should put the boat in the same location as when connected to GPS. One gives me range & bearing, other does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
My suggest is you either move the ship symbol to desired position by the right mouse menu and click "Move boat here" or buy yourself a cheep GPS-puck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn-no gps, no range data.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	175187   Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn-with gps, have range data.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	175188  

Old 10-08-2018, 12:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

CapNorm42....

Not a bug.

OpenCPN wants a valid ownship GPS location to calculate range and bearing to AIS targets. It was not designed for stationary operation monitoring live AIS traffic without GPS input.

If you insist, you may like to use VDR plugin, with a single GPRMC message describing your homebase location, repeated over and over....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:24   #9

Thanks, Dave.

Guess I can see a use for 2 location coordinates, but wish range/bearing used right-click Move Boat Here. I have an old Delorme Earthmate LT-20 (which Win 10 sees) but OpenCpn Connections doesn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
CapNorm42....

Not a bug.

OpenCPN wants a valid ownship GPS location to calculate range and bearing to AIS targets. It was not designed for stationary operation monitoring live AIS traffic without GPS input.

If you insist, you may like to use VDR plugin, with a single GPRMC message describing your homebase location, repeated over and over....

Dave
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24   #10

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
..........Delorme Earthmate LT-20 (which Win 10 sees) but OpenCpn Connections doesn't see it.
CaptNorm...
If you can "see" it Win10 also OCPN would find it if you:
- Disconnect it from any program using the assigned Com port.
- Connect OCPN to the same Com port using the correct baud rate.
See OCPN wiki how to find what Com port to use:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rted:gps_setup

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 14:18   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

FAQ

AIS range and target does not work in a stationary operation
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote