Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 18:45   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
Stupid question about OpenCPN

I know this may be a stupid question but what exactly is OpenCPN?
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 19:09   #2

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: Stupid question about OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailuke View Post

From a quick google search.

"A Chartplotter and GPS Navigation Software.

OpenCPN is a free software (GPLv2) project to create a concise chart plotter and navigation software, for use underway or as a planning tool. OpenCPN is developed by a team of active sailors using real world conditions for program testing and refinement."
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 21:18   #3

Boat: wanting a cat

If you search youtube, there are online presentations on the design. capabilities and limitations...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 22:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailuke View Post
An open-source, free, community-driven chart plotter and nav program.

It as an extremely powerful system with a huge quantity of functions. It is a little clunky to use compared to more commercial chart plotter programs, requiring a bit more knowledge and skill, but the reward is the remarkable depth of functionality, very high degree of configurability, and extremely high quality of the implementation.

Just to name one tiny example of what I'm talking about -- the AIS display function of OpenCPN can be configured to display graphically how you will cross with a selected target vessel, showing graphically relative positions of your vessel and the target at TCPA (including bearing and range), making it instantly obvious whether you're passing ahead or behind, and how you need to maneuver to unwind the situation. I use it in preference to the primitive AIS display on my B&G Zeus plotters, in difficult crossing situations.

Part of the secret of this is the very large volume of community input into the development. But also the great talent of the development team.

It's what I use, and I've never seen anything remotely as good, for my way of working. Furthermore, you can actually talk to the developers, who hang out on here -- CF hosts the OpenCPN community.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

You can read about it at http://www.opencpn.org

It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac commuters. It works best on Windows in my opinion but it also works well on most Linux versions. It does not accept the new NMEA 2000 network data but there are converters that convert to NMEA 0183 which OpenCPN understands. It also has an Android version on Play Store, it cost a few dollars, but no iPad version.

It is especially useful in the US because all navigation charts for the US are free and fully compatible. OpenCPN even knows how to download the free charts. There are also free charts for a few other areas.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:31   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
. . . .It is especially useful in the US because all navigation charts for the US are free and fully compatible. OpenCPN even knows how to download the free charts. There are also free charts for a few other areas.
And there are reasonably priced paid charts for many areas as well. Complete Admiralty raster charts, of superb quality, for entire UK, Atlantic Europe coasts, and Iberia cost only 70 pounds from Visitmyharbour, with a year of free updates.

To boot officially marked "For Navigation", unlike the chips you put in your regular nav system.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn