Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2023, 01:14   #1

Starlink hexagon layer

There will be a lot of OpenCPN users on Starlink now, and all share a problem—knowing whether they’re on Starlink ‘land’ (sometimes it’s land, sometimes it's ocean) or Starlink ‘ocean’ (sometimes it’s ocean, sometimes it’s land). Billing and terms of service are very different for each, and getting it wrong means you get emails from Starlink threatening to disconnect you.

It occurred to me that the Starlink hexagons would make a great layer for OpenCPN so users know which is which. I’ve seen third-party websites with the hexagons, so maybe it’s a public file already.

Here's the offical map; https://www.starlink.com/map
And a third-party one; https://satellitemap.space/

Ideas?
jamesfrankham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 05:42   #2

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Starlink hexagon layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfrankham View Post
There will be a lot of OpenCPN users on Starlink now, and all share a problem—knowing whether they’re on Starlink ‘land’ (sometimes it’s land, sometimes it's ocean) or Starlink ‘ocean’ (sometimes it’s ocean, sometimes it’s land). Billing and terms of service are very different for each, and getting it wrong means you get emails from Starlink threatening to disconnect you.

It occurred to me that the Starlink hexagons would make a great layer for OpenCPN so users know which is which. I’ve seen third-party websites with the hexagons, so maybe it’s a public file already.

Ideas?

I don't think it relates to the satellite, rather your location. Just turn it off whilst at sea, or pay the extra.

What an amazing array. Ominous though, when I think of the film Gravity.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 05:47   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:

Ideas?
On overlay would be useful but
1) you are going to get emails regardless. They are threatening sales emails. People have gotten for vessels on the hard. RVers have gotten them.

2) Creating the grid would be relatively easy (it isn't SpaceX specific) but there is no way to get which cells are "land" vs "ocean" in any machine managable method as SpaceX provides no api for getting that data.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 05:49   #4

For any developer interested the "Starlink Hexagon Grid" is actually an open source system created by Uber called H3.

https://h3geo.org/
Old 15-05-2023, 06:28   #5

I think this will be sorted out in short order. SpaceX isn’t a govt bureaucracy with endless amounts of red tape. Elon launched another rocket yesterday with 56 more SL satellites. I also heard from a friend that T-Mobile is already testing the Cell to satellite service as the FCC has given them the licensing necessary to move forward. Elon has done in the last 2yrs what no satellite provider has done in the last 20yrs.
BG305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 06:35   #6

More details on SL using Uber's H3 grid system.

(H3 grid size 5 cells on left , Starlink availability map on right)

https://github.com/uber/h3/issues/717

Quote:
Starlink does now use H3, size 5, replacing their proprietary hexagonal cell system, which I wasn't able to reverse-engineer. My assumption is they need increasing granularity, as the cells are actually used for satellite resource scheduling, not only as a UI for customers to see coverage.
Even having an H3 overlay in OpenCPN as a first step without land vs ocean designation would be useful.
Old 15-05-2023, 08:26   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Starlink allows access to your account to make changes even when otherwise turned off on the ocean. Just use it until it quits, then turn on priority.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 08:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Starlink allows access to your account to make changes even when otherwise turned off on the ocean. Just use it until it quits, then turn on priority.
While the OP fears are overblown I still think something like this would be useful for planning purposes.
Old 17-05-2023, 16:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
While the OP fears are overblown I still think something like this would be useful for planning purposes.
I don't think it's overblown—Starlink are already selectively switching off service to those not on Mobile Priority data. So understanding when you need it on and when you don't is fairly relevant.

Right now I'm moving from one side of a lagoon to the other side of a lagoon on the same island in Tonga—one side I have access as per my account, on the other side (still with land and villages) it's Starlink 'ocean' and I need Mobile Priority on. Not to hard in this case as I have the land as a location reference, but at other sites it's very hard to know where we are located with reference to H3 hexagons.

Even without available/unavailable tags, the hexagon layer would be extremely helpful to eyeball location.

Does anyone know how to get H3 onto an OpenCPN layer?
Old 17-05-2023, 16:17   #10

Quote:
I don't think it's overblown—Starlink are already selectively switching off service to those not on Mobile Priority data. So understanding when you need it on and when you don't is fairly relevant.

Right now I'm moving from one side of a lagoon to the other side of a lagoon on the same island in Tonga—one side I have access as per my account, on the other side (still with land and villages) it's Starlink 'ocean' and I need Mobile Priority on. Not to hard in this case as I have the land as a location reference, but at other sites it's very hard to know where we are located with reference to H3 hexagons.

Even without available/unavailable tags, the hexagon layer would be extremely helpful to eyeball location.

Does anyone know how to get H3 onto an OpenCPN layer?
To be clear SpaceX hasn't cut anyone off. There are people right now in the Pacific using standard dish on non-priority plan without paying $2/GB and it still works.

Even if they did cut you off in a particular location it isn't like they would ban your dish for life. If it stops working enable the $2/GB to restore connectivity.

That being said I do agree this would be useful for planning purposes but there is no way to just "get it" in OpenCPN someone is going to have to develop a plugin to support this.
Old 17-05-2023, 16:26   #11

Boat: Phantom 19

We of course do, generating H3 grid and exporting the result to any format or displaying directly in OpenCPN is trivial.
What we don't know is what cells are considered by Starlink to be eligible for what type of service.
For example the attached is the H3 size 5 grid (That is the cell size Starlink supposedly uses) overlaid over my location. What is it able to tell me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	275465  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 22:18   #12

Perhaps it depends on your context. For those of us cruising small islands in the south Pacific where the hexagons can define where we can work and homeschool with unlimited data, the difference is rather more stark.

See attached map of Vava'u. If you're at Nuapapu, Hunga or any of the southern islands you're constantly toggling Mobile Priority on and off.

Would it need to be a plugin, or just a layer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 6.14.08 PM.png Views: 101 Size: 104.5 KB ID: 275480" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 18-05-2023, 02:38   #13

In this very special case the solution has been at hand for a long time, simply use the attached GPX file either as a layer or simply import it.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Starlink VavaU.gpx (1.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 18-05-2023, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
In this very special case the solution has been at hand for a long time, simply use the attached GPX file either as a layer or simply import it.
Amazing, thank you nohal. Is it possible to document how you did this so I can produce Starlink H3 layers for other locations? Or have a downloadable H3 layer uploaded to https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...layers_library ?
Old 18-05-2023, 13:27   #15

I did it in QGIS with the H3 Toolkit plugin

The workflow is quite simple, once you know how to use QGIS...

- Generate the H3 size 5 grid over your area of interest
- Delete the cells you don't want
- Dissolve the cell polygons to get one shape covering the area
- Convert it to lines to get just the outline
- Create a GPX layer and copy the outline to it

To see what I'm doing I usually work on top of the OSM land polygons from https://osmdata.openstreetmap.de/dat...-polygons.html - makes it much more apparent than just guessing whether the coordinates are correct

It took about a minute for this file. And indeterminable amount of time over many years to get familiar with QGIS...