Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 09:02   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Stability

Hi, searched but no find. To my satisfaction any way. I have an issue I would like to discuss and get some feedback on.

I have setup a network on my boat as some of you have done here. I have a laptop running OpenCPN. I have a wifi router. And I have a Tablet.

My problem is, amongst other things, with stability. I.e., keeping the sessions going when I need them. I cant seem to do this while going through a congested channel without having either the Laptop or the Tablet or both going blank screen. I would rather not have to investigate how to run keep alive programs.

I have other problems as well. Like keeping the router session active. Maybe just my setup. I am working on that one, but the blank screen one is really a nuiscance.

Right now I just yell down to whosever below and tell them to hit the enter key. Most of the time it works, but sometimes not. And you know Murphy , the "sometimes not" will happen at just the right moment.

I've played with the Display and battery options. Mine don't have a never time out option that I can find.

Laptop Samsung R540 with W7

Tablet testing with Blackberry Playbook, will probably end up with either Ipad, Nexus or Samsung.

I run aVNC on the Tablet and VNC Server on the Laptop

Router Linksys G standard.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 13:38   #2

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Stability

I found the Laptop. Used to have display, screen saver all in one place, they've separated things since last O/S I checked. But the tablet is still in question.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote