Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 07:00   #16

Boat: Trismus 37'
More about fathoms
I remenber that fathoms are directly readable in $DBT sentence right ?
so it's possible to modify to read directly without conversion.
in "~/.osd_depth.conf"
modify
## parameters in meters
id=DBT pos_val=4 unit="m"

in
## parameters in fathoms
id=DBT pos_val=2 unit="f"

et voila (normally !)
Frank
marinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 11:18   #17

Boat: 7,5m ARIEL VI
Thumbs up

Dear Frank!

Thank you for your answer.
I live in Greece and i am fisherman but a computer freak too. But only in hardware things. I have no idea from programming. Yes Linux is probably good, but i must run programms on my Laptop at my boat, that it is not in Linux.
Yes, sentences are given from my LOWRANCE LMS 350A, but opencpn does not regognized them. With my sounder configured to Fathoms, dashbord dept shows 999, with meters shows only gerade numbers, like 1,2,3etc.meters without beetwen depths from 1 to 2 to 3 etc.(like 1.2m, 1.4m etc).
Any way you given me a "how to make that", so i must search vor a C programmier to make that.
And sorry to you and the forums members for my english. I speak gut german but english have learned for 30 years ago(I am 54 now) and than living for 20 years in brd. so...
many thanks
Yannis
ARIEL143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 14:48   #18

Boat: Amel Sharki
1 fathom = 1.8288 meter
or
1 meter = 0.546806649 fathom
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 06:38   #19

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Soft Multiplexer for Linux

Frank...
NMEA Instruments | Official OpenCPN Homepage is a normal wiki page, AFAIK you don't need special permissions to edit it, just make an account on opencpn.org and add your tools if you want.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:56   #20

Muplex & OSD_Depth V0.2

Bonjour à tous,
Muplex and OSD_Depth are more than one year old. Some hundreds of downloads and any feedback about bug or trouble, nice. Maybe one day theses softs will have the great honor to figure in NMEA Instruments | Official OpenCPN Homepage ?
So I have updated to v0.2 with some minor changes. (detailled in head of scripts). The futures versions of Xinutop will also include them.
Infos & downloads Muplex - OSD_Depth
Frank Marinux
Old 26-05-2012, 15:35   #21

RE:brilliant software and setup (answer to Joe)

"Dear marinux man, I am planning on installing your brilliant software for my budget navigation system,
however i am fairly new to linux and would really appreciate a step by step guide on how to go about installing and etting this up- my boat is already equipped with a raymarine type 100/300 course computer and st6000+ head unit and autopilot.

the compass has been removed by the previous owner which i will be adding back in but i wouldvery much like to use my atom based netbook to use as a dual boot or standalone system running xinutop integrtaed with what i have already, the osd depth software- and one of the recommended transducers!-
i already have opencpn installed on linux 12.04 and was planning on adding a bluenext 093 gps dongle to integrate it with- im sure i will figure it all out but a clearer "how to" or clearer installation instructions would be fantastic!
will i need dongles? to convert to nmea? also a little confused as regards the configuration of output ports.
opencpn will output on a serial port to control the autopilot but i thought it might rquire a serial to usb converter?
can you clarify how i might set up this system?
you are a genius!
joe"

Bonjour Joe,

Thanks for your cheers.
As I said in Xinutop thread, I concentrate all my efforts on Xinutop developpement and can help only on my owns scripts and features.
All generality on Linux, USB, serial, NMEA are profusely documented on the web.
To make simple, as described in Marinux page:
Your devices must have NMEA sentences output (software)
Muplex accept, serial (/dev/ttyS...), pseudo serial on USB (/dev/ttyUSB...) and bluetooth (/dev/rfcomm...) ports (hardware) with theses standard NMEA sentences
You don't need dongle if your NMEA input hardware is natively recognized trought any port.
You need a USB > serial dongle if you need and have not or not enought serial ports, or better, a multiple serial to one USB as I use Convertisseur USB - RS232 8 ports Industriel avec Nauticom
Next version of Xinutop will integrate Muplex and OSD_Depth. Next week I will upload some updated packages for testing.
Frank
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19   #22

Arrow Soft Multiplexer & OSD_Depth integrated in Xinutop

Bonjour à tous

As promised, Muplex & OSD_Depth are integrated in Xinutop.
There is a new directory in Xinutop download directory called "next" where you can find updated elements of the future Xinutop version.
http://marinux.pk973.org

Frank Marinux
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43   #23

Boat: On the Hard

This is maturing nicely. A heads up.

The next release of fldigi has extended features for weatherfax and Navtext. Its really sweet. Its in the beta release that you can build and will be incorporated into the release version when it comes out. Not sure of the date of course. Something to consider as its the best weather fax system I have found for linux "and" for my use case, a portale Eton G5 radio. Tested them all and this one works well.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 06:37   #24

fLdigi + Navtex

Bonjour Sailias,

Thanks for your feedback and your good news. Until this day, for Navtex, there is jNavtex, but in Java. Java is an exceptionnal and interesting way for programmers, only one script for all platforms, but the cost in MB (about 100 !) is far from Xinutop philosophy - small is beautiful - I have tried a Java compiler for linux (to make directly ELF executable from Java scripts), but the solution is not enough complete and it miss some graphic translations. The Wefax with fLdigi gave me good results, so, with Navtex, fLdigi will be a nice and very complete solution for navigation.
Amicalement
Frank
Old 26-10-2013, 05:48   #25

Hi Frank,
I am using xinutop a while and I`m really happy with it. I am a novice in Linux so i`m not realy familiar with all the commands and stuff. What gives me a hard thimes is muplex. I managed to configure it ones and id worked well but after restarting it doesn`t want to do anything. I tryed everything I could thing of. If I try with -n it says that the devise /dev/ttyUSB0 is busy and nothing happens. Do you have any idea how can I solve this problem. It drives me crazy.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Greatings Rumen
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:26   #26

Bonsoir Rumen,
Thanks for your apreciation about Xinutop.
It's difficult to analyse the trouble with so few details.
If your muplex works well except after restart, you may know that in case of many USB devices connected, the attribution of x in ttyUSBx is inconsistent. So, verify that and take a look in udev doc how to fix a link to a device.
Amicalement Frank Marinux
Old 31-10-2013, 13:05   #27

Hi Frank,
First of all, thank you very much for Xinutop. It is a great idea and I really enjoy it!
I have a couple of questions:
1. How can I upgrade OpenCPN to the latest version?
3. How can I make other plugins work? I am thinking of one of the radar plugins.

Cheers, ....Erik.
MV B.C. Girl.

Bonsoir Erik
Thank for your encouragements

1) classic way: open terminal
# update software database
sudo apt-get update
# install the new version
sudo apt-get install opencpn
# thats all
# Note: the previous version stay always in the main squashfs system and the new version in the user layer, but it's transparent for user. So if you reset the system, you return at the previous version.

2) normal: install any plugin as described in OpenCPN doc

About update: my prevision is to offer an update and advanced version of Xinutop twice by year, so, the next before the end of year.

Frank Marinux
Old 31-10-2013, 14:47   #28

Hi Frank ,
Thank you for your replay. I think that I get the problem. Muplex starts but it takes so long before any data comes, that I restart it and it and everything starts from the beginning. I'll go forward with trying to find why it is so slow, but for the moment I have no clue.

Greetings Rumen.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 17:42   #29

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had the impression that it was not possible to make changes after Xinutop has been installed. I'll try again after I connect the computer to the net.

Cheers, ....Erik.
MV B.C. Girl.
Vancouver, BC.
ve7mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 05:31   #30

Muplex + GUI updated

Bonjour à tous,

A new version of Muplex, soft NMEA multiplexer for Linux on x86 and ARM is alvailable for download.

Changes:
- rewrite script: cancel zenity, separate GUI Yad based for full control: Muplex-GUI
- better detection errors and supervision of childs process
- ajustable speed for each input
- default network port 10110
- many others improvements > V1.0

Enjoy, Franck

Marinux Website

Tags
linux