Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 15:22   #1

Boat: Gemini 3200
Send to GPS Broken in Linux Version

I am unable to send a route to my Garmin GPS 72 from my Linux computer (Ubuntu 14.04, OpenCPN 4.8.6). This used to work just fine. It still works with Windows 10 running OpenCPN 4.8.6, just as it should. I used the same cable, same USB adapter, same GPS. I know I had a good connection between the GPS and OpenCPN on both computers because both showed a good GPS position and both showed data flowing in the debugging window.

The transfer appears to complete on both computers. The dialog box appears, the progress bar moves across the screen. But the GPS never gets the route from the Linux machine. At the end of the transfer from the Windows machine the GPS reports "Transfer complete".

In both cases I used the NMEA interface at 4800 bps for position data. I switched the GPS to GARMIN mode before attempting to transfer the route.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51   #2

Re: Send to GPS Broken in Linux Version

I made a mistake in my previous post. The Linux computer is running 4.8.8, not 4.8.6. So the problem may have to do with the different operating systems or because something was touched between 4.8.6 and 4.8.8. I'm still running 4.8.6 on my Windows computer.

Fabbian
Old 15-01-2019, 11:05   #3

Re: Send to GPS Broken in Linux Version

More exploration has uncovered the cause of the problem. Somehow on the Linux version the "Use Garmin GRMN (Host) mode for uploads" box had become unchecked. It may have happened during an update, because I don't remember changing it. In any event, I can now upload routes to my GPS receiver on the Linux computer as well as on the Windows computer.

I uncovered some problems with the "Use Garmin (GRMN) mode for input" box. If I checked it and then clicked "OK" it was unchecked the next time I entered the Setup/Connections page. I was able to retain the setting only if I clicked "Apply" before leaving the page. Once that box was checked and the GPS interface was set to GRMN OpenCPN would get a GPS position. I thought sentences appeared in the debug window but when I checked it a second time there were no sentences.

I don't normally use my Garmin GPS to supply position data to OpenCPN so it's not much of an issue for me, but someone might want to take a closer look to be sure that function is working properly.

I like to use OpenCPN to plan the next day's route, then upload that route to the GPS. While I can enter waypoints directly into the GPS it is a lot more cumbersome than just pointing to them on the chart.

Fabbian

Tags
gps, linux