Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2010, 20:29   #1

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Send Route to Furuno GPS

Has anyone successfully used the Send Route to GPS to send to a Furuno GP-30, GP-31 or GP-32?

I've used this feature on Captain Voyager and Maxsea. I have my radar, autopilot and other GPS listeners wired to read from the GPS. This lets me turn off the computer and all of those devices still have route and active waypoint information from the GPS. On long passages I don't want to have the computer on watching the boat move across a blue screen. I also send the same route data to a Garmin handheld GPS that I store in the microwave in the event of a lighting strike or other failure so I'll always have my route saved on a GPS. It would be nice if the Send Route to GPS function allowed you to select the type of GPS you want to send to.

I have successfully used GPSutility to send saved GPX routes from OpenCPN, but that requires I shut down OpenCPN to make the COM port available. I could connect another COM port to the GPS so GPSutility could talk to it while CPN is running, but would much prefer to do it directly from CPN.

And BTW... This is a great program! I plan to make it my primary electronic navigation system!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:45   #2

Re: Send Route to Furuno GPS

I succesfully uploaded a route to Furuno GP31, but OpenCPN will only work if your route has 24 waypoints or less.
PhilipLyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18   #3

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

The upload issue was resolved many years ago. The Furuno GP3X series uses a proprietary format for uploads and has a fixed upper limit on the number of waypoints that can be uploaded in a single route. There are many other peculiar behaviors associated with the uploads. I believe i documented most of them in other parts of this post. One of the most annoying is that the waypoints must be number sequentially. If you insert a waypoint in the middle of a route and perform the upload, your waypoints will not be in the proper sequence when they are stored in the Furuno. They will be "sorted" according to name. To get around this, before uploading your route, reverse the route and tell OpenCPN to renumber the waypoints. Then reverse again to put them in the proper order and tell it to renumber again. The Furuno will also not accept more the 6 characters for a waypoint name and you cannot use any symbols in the name. I also seem to recall that the names must be uppercase letters, but you would have to name them sequentially so it just easier to us the stand numerical names assigned by OpenCPN 001, 002, 003.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 16:38   #4

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
Has anyone successfully used the Send Route to GPS to send to a Furuno GP-30, GP-31 or GP-32?

Yes. Sent to my GP-32.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote