Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 20:08   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
SAIL Mag - June Issue

SAIL had two articles in June that touched on e-navigation. One listed a few of the pricey nav suites. I sent in comments for the "Feedback" section saying they would be doing their readers a disservice if they didn't mention that there are free options out there. Being as brief as possible I lauded the OpenCPN project and the benefits to Open Source software.

Any bets as to whether it makes it in? I don't see the bigs advertising with SAIL and they actually replied to the email thanking me for the info.

Probably a long shot but worth a try to get more attention to a fine product.
Old 05-07-2011, 20:36   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: SAIL mag June issue

You're like the detective asking the witnesses "did you see the Invisible Man?"

It's not going to happen. I see references to it in Practical Sailor, but they don't take ads.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 00:51   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

It will certainly never be covered in Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog, even though its been mentioned in the comments dozens of times.. Freebies are against their advertising-driven agenda..

Some German sailor tells tale of how he wrote an article for Yacht Magazin or whatever they call themselves in the 70s with a description of Moitessier's telegraph poles for masts - that bit was promptly censored!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:33   #4
rdd

Boat: Bianca 28

OpenCPN was portrayed in the German Segeln Magazin (Segeln) a few months ago. They had a feature on marine electronics and NMEA and did a real one page portrait of OpenCPN.

Nice article and quite positive too. It is such a shame that people never seem to grasp the free as in beer/as in speech difference and consistently advertise the program as 'kostenlos' ("cost-free") which in my opinion misses the point.

Still, I was very happy to see OpenCPN in a very mainstream publication.
rdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:38   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd View Post
OpenCPN was portrayed in the German Segeln Magazin (Segeln) a few months ago. They had a feature on marine electronics and NMEA and did a real one page portrait of OpenCPN.
Bother - my german doesn't stretch that far, and my Google translator failed! Never mind!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59   #6

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Saucy, quick google shows that rdd is referring to the print edition of said magazine..
Old 06-07-2011, 03:26   #7
rdd

Boat: Bianca 28
Re: SAIL Mag - June Issue

Sorry, yes, print magazine indeed. There's nothing on their website.

It's a fairly high profile monthly magazine dedicated to cruising.

Cheers

Tom
rdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

This a common problem not limited to OpenCPN. I published a book last year devoted to the other free nav program. SeaClear. The final version was submitted to all the sailing mags in the UK and the US. Not one even bothered to acknowlege the sumission. I also wrote an article of a comparison test over 1000nm of OpenCPN SeaClear and Polar Navy. Again the emphasis on free or low cost nav programs Again not one reply. The mags write frequently on high cost nav programs but not at all on the free or low cost ones. Surely this type of review would be of interest to their audience. I have never seen a review of Polar Navy a low cost but excellent program that leads others in front end design and chart display.
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59   #9

Perhaps its time to start a website webzine type of our own. Thats how things are done in the open source world. You ignore the commerical brands, start your own product, make it available to everyone and then broadcast to the ends of the earth via a simple website. There sure would be a lot of folks who both would be willing to submitt articles on a monthly basis and the readership is anyone with a boat, who wants to buy a boat, or has net access. Its really a no brainer to setup, and costs range from free to a few dollars a month. All that is needed is a dedicated group of editors who proof content and hit the release but on the website. Articles are submitted on line. If folks are willing to play the no cost, no pay game, then it could be a smashing success as the content would be driven by experienced sailors/cruisers rather then marketing droids. Content like accessible code remains king.

Best regards

/ch
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

hmmmm.... I would be willing to webmaster and use web space on the server for one of my business's for such a website... Think I should start a new thread on the subject?
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 22:21   #11

Boat: On the Hard

Count me in as a contributor and editor if needed. Wrote that up under my other account by mistake.

/ch
Canada
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27   #12

Some further thoughts on this topic. An OpenContent zine is not market driven so the need to be revenue positive is eliminated, ie: timelines are generic rather then determined. Secondly, many write content for other mags or their own sites, they may consider this outlet as free marketing. Content generators/creators area many, many who have not even considered writing before. You may or may not want to consider click through revenue generator but the revenue is so small its not really worth it and then their is the issue of product sponsor bias.

All in all it a very simple task, needed only a CMS, some website talent to make it both visually appealing and easily readable. various predetermined sections so content can be plugged in and a few editors to manage the release cycle.

5 bucks says it would be a hit.......the main thing that needs to be decided is the focus. Lat & Att sells attitude. Lat 38 sells the CAL scene, Panbo sells the technical angle...Sail Mag sells the high end cruising dreams, Practical Sailoer sells gear and boat stuff,....wooden boat..sells woodies.....question is "what is it that you we us want to sell." That really the only tough question. Focus is important but only to a degree as the opposite approach could be used: a generic sailing site that covers many topics. The readership will then determine what sections get more read then others. Lots of ways to go to determine a focus....quality of content is and remains most important.

Best regards

/ch
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28   #13

Apologies for the typos. Actually a tad to early for me.....where are the glasses...

A comment about licensing.

About The Licenses - Creative Commons

thats about it from me on this issue.....for now.

/ch
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

You do not need adds in (SAIL) magazine. If the software is good, cruisers/sailors will spread the word in no time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail