Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2010, 18:27   #1

Running Two Instances of OpenCPN

on the same computer, is this possible? The idea being to have 2 sets of charts open without having to scroll back and forth through the display, either split screen or 2 monitors.
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 01:09   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	193
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	21513
This on Linux, using gpsd.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 13:33   #3

Yeah except I'm on windows
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

2 instances

on windows xp yes + seaclear+ polarview+ google earth

richard fairman JP BA Author SeaClear Unleashed
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 10:20   #5

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Hello,

I do not undestand ...

1° It is possible to run OpenCPN twice simultaneously (on the same screen). For example, you can create a "Route" on the fist and create an other "Route" on the second.

If you close the first, the ini file is updated. When you close the second turn, the ini file is again updated.

If you run OpenCPN, new, only the second route is displayed. But the two routes are present on the route manager.

2° But, it is possible to display the same chart with OpenCPN and Polarwiew on the same screen.

Best regards,

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 13:11   #6

Re: Running Two Instances of OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
If you close the first, the ini file is updated. When you close the second turn, the ini file is again updated.
Actually, quite often a situation pops up, when I wish OpenCPN could run two independent instances simultaneously. Neither warrants a feature request, as usually the regular solution would be different, but it does happen.

Examples:

1. When drawing some lines as Tracks, I need to "Move Boat Here", what would disturb recording the actual track. (regular solution - make a markup plugin)

2. Two instances could make up for lack of NMEA multiplexer, e.g. for people who wish to plot DSC and AIS targets. (regular solution - get a MUX)

3. During development, it would be easier to compare behaviour of two versions. (regular solution - get second PC)

4. When playing with Route modifications and planning for the route which happens to be Active underway and Autopilot is the boss (regular solution - make a copy of the route... not always easy)

etc.

Even an "OpenCPN Viewer" might be useful, that just does not write anything into .ini and .xml (not sure about .log).

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 13:36   #7
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

A command line option (maybe -l or --local) telling OpenCPN to look for/create its .ini file (and plugins and other files) in a directory the binary program is located in (or simply in a directory which happens to be 'current') would be great IMHO. Lots of uses besides testing of new releases, for example carrying a complete install on a USB stick.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 13:46   #8

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Actually, quite often a situation pops up, when I wish OpenCPN could run two independent instances simultaneously. Neither warrants a feature request, as usually the regular solution would be different, but it does happen.

Examples:

1. When drawing some lines as Tracks, I need to "Move Boat Here", what would disturb recording the actual track. (regular solution - make a markup plugin)

2. Two instances could make up for lack of NMEA multiplexer, e.g. for people who wish to plot DSC and AIS targets. (regular solution - get a MUX)

3. During development, it would be easier to compare behaviour of two versions. (regular solution - get second PC)

4. When playing with Route modifications and planning for the route which happens to be Active underway and Autopilot is the boss (regular solution - make a copy of the route... not always easy)

etc.

Even an "OpenCPN Viewer" might be useful, that just does not write anything into .ini and .xml (not sure about .log).

Piotr
Testers!
try editing the ini file of the second OpenCPN so it doesn't point to all the same paths...So far,my only test has been to run 1.3 simultaneously with newer versions doing this....but I can't swear they don't interfere with each other...1.3 is in my Portable Apps folder on a different partition but anywhere except C:\Program Files\Opencpn should work as well...
Open CPN seems to be very nearly a "PortableApp" already...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote