Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 10:45   #1

Boat: Trintella 1 & 28ft
running opencpn on a ereader?

There are quite a few android 4 based ereaders available:
Best Android E Ink eBook Readers – Android eReaders List | The eBook Reader Blog

Has anyone tried running the opencpn app on an ereader? It would make a perfectly sunlight readable screen and would have an extremely low power consumption. Altough I don't know if the computing power is sufficient.

I have a friend that runs custom flying software on an ereader in his glider. That's how I got the idea.

Furthermore does anyone know if the vector charts are more CPU intensive then raster charts?
I have both Opencpn with cm93 and S57 maps on my galax tab 3 tablet and the NV verlag app (raster chart)
And the NV verlag app runs much smoother than opencpn. But lacks a lot of the opencpn customization.
ccgarnaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:12   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I
Re: running opencpn on a ereader?

Like this?

In fact, it works acceptably with CM93s. Even representing AIS targets. The problem was the low clarity when reading the cartography due to the absence of color and the only 16 levels of gray. I prefer my rugerized phone.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I think the main issue is many e-readers don't have GPS. I had an old e-reader that I rooted ages ago and installed full android on it. It worked ok, processor was slow too, but some things were hard to read in grey scale. While you can get 16 shades of grey, I suspect that a color tablet (what I use now) works better as it's overall clearer to see which is a green can or red nun.

Plus a cheap color tablet can be had for $125 ish or about the same cost as a cheap mono ereader.

If you have solar, then the cost to charge the tablet is minimal. I actually just got a Lonovo tab4 8 plus which at $200ish is a mid range tablet. I use it for everything. I purchased it as it had a very little bloatwere that was easily deleted, good battery life (8.5-10 hours+) sharp screen for my old eyes and very nice sound and good camera's. I made this dicission after looking at ALL the tablet specs for all brands.

For my alas mature eyes having a bright full color display works far better when reading a chart on the screen.

The big draw of an e reader is low power consumption, but grey scale charts can be a bit harder to read, at least too me.

BTW rooting a ereader is getting harder to do now a days, that and the lack of GPS is the main issue I went color.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 13:38   #4

I installed (sideloaded) a vnc viewer on a e-ink android kindle and remoted into windows installation of opencpn on it (running c-maps - not rasters).

It worked, resolution was less than amazing, grey scale complicates detail, and refresh rate was a little slow (meaning course-up didn't work terribly well). Ultimately I felt that it wasn't worth the effort when the laptop was running anyways.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 00:23   #5

maybe to just show the instrument panel on the e-reader is a viable option.
Had played around with openplotter and node-red dashboard on my tolino and was nicely readable in sunlight. - that was until the latest sw update on the tolino, dont know why but its not working any more and have not bothered so far.
VNC was always too slow and refresh rate on ebookreader is not helping either.

just my 2cent
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 03:09   #6

I have a galaxy tab 3.0 10" tablet in a rugged waterproof case and an em trak AIS tranceiver which gives the AIS and GPS data to the tablet via wifi.
I'ts just that in low light conditions I can throw a glance from across the cockpit at the screen and see how far of course I am. What the CPA is with the next AIS target etc.
In the sun I need to put my face close to the tablet to see that. setup: https://i.imgur.com/PAhGcLB.jpg

I'm considering adding an ereader as an extra not a preplacement. For good weather/ bright sunlight conditions.

Just wondering if these ereaders could run opencpn or recommended ereaders for this.

maybe one of these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...odkw=kobo+aura
Old 29-05-2018, 03:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

I think you will find a topic in this forum how to run opencpn on a Kindle Fire.

You will need the opencpn android APK file.
https://www.technipages.com/kindle-f...tall-apk-files

Use openplotter or another source for wifi access point with nmea date to be used for the kindele and VIOLA - the kindle is running opencpn smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgarnaal View Post
I have a galaxy tab 3.0 10" tablet in a rugged waterproof case and an em trak AIS tranceiver which gives the AIS and GPS data to the tablet via wifi.
I'ts just that in low light conditions I can throw a glance from across the cockpit at the screen and see how far of course I am. What the CPA is with the next AIS target etc.
In the sun I need to put my face close to the tablet to see that. setup: https://i.imgur.com/PAhGcLB.jpg

I'm considering adding an ereader as an extra not a preplacement. For good weather/ bright sunlight conditions.

Just wondering if these ereaders could run opencpn or recommended ereaders for this.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 04:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Like this?

In fact, it works acceptably with CM93s. Even representing AIS targets. The problem was the low clarity when reading the cartography due to the absence of color and the only 16 levels of gray. I prefer my rugerized phone.
Could you link the photo on another platform? I can't acces it. What ereader are you using?
Old 29-05-2018, 06:18   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@ccgarnaal

What kind of case is that? Do you have a manufacturer/brand and model number by any chance?

Thanks,

Franziska
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 06:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
@ccgarnaal

What kind of case is that? Do you have a manufacturer/brand and model number by any chance?

Thanks,

Franziska
It is a gumdrop case: https://www.gumdropcases.com/collections/samsung
Which I waterproofed myself. I took some red hypalon fabric and glued it over the speaker and camera openings. And I put a large patch on the back that houses a high amperage 12V - USB charger. So I have a 12V charge cable going directly to any 12V plug.

Use plenty of vaseline on all ports, USB etc. And I have a 5cm USB cable siliconed in too the tablet.

I wouldn't submerge it but I regulary hose it down to get the salt spray off And I haven't seen a drop inside yet. It now has 3 years of use in all weather.

Only problem is less cooling the tablet overheats easier in very hot weather.
Old 29-05-2018, 08:41   #11

Using RNC GRY colors table may help, most charts have it but O isn't doing anything with it.

For CPU load it'd say lighter RNC then CM93 last S57.

But in a lot of places CM93 aren't safe for navigation anymore.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:12   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgarnaal View Post
Could you link the photo on another platform? I can't acces it. What ereader are you using?
Try this link, may you can see it.
https://s15.postimg.cc/rx3wcfid7/ebook_opcpn.jpg
The ebook was a branded Tagus that is found here in Spain in "El Corte Ingles" but I don't know how it is known outside of Spain or if it is sold elsewhere. The key is that it is an Android book in which you can install the OCpn APK directly.

Any Android ebook should be able to install and run OCpn. Of course as they usually come without the Google Store you will not be able to install the paid version as it is not offered elsewhere. That's why those of us who don't have a google account can't buy it and it's up to us to stick with the free one, but it also works pretty well and can be useful.

It ran a little slow but quite well, but the lack of color complicates the reading of the charts and the constant refreshing of the e-ink screen reduced the battery life because unlike the books, where the screen is refreshed every few seconds, in OCpn was refreshed two or three times per second and that naturally reduces autonomy.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 13:50   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hey, thanks for that ccgarnaal.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn