Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 12:27   #16

Re: Rpi 3/2 hardware opengl and Vector charts

Hi,
I recently bought an RPI 3. It took some time to get the GPS (NEO 6M) running via UART (mainly because the port designation is no longer ttyAMA0 but ttyS0. Making magnet/gyro/pressure/humidity/temp sensors the the i2c pins was easy (just follow open plotter instruction and the specifics for debian Jessie which you can google easily). Also I needed to install besides the cgps module also the pynmea2 module to make open plotter accept the feed. But now all runs stable and well.
Open CPN works fine. I also attached a 7" touchscreen and can now work either remotely via tablet or direct on screen without mouse and keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseng View Post
Hi All.
I just ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 which I hope will be here in a couple of days. I can't quite work out whether hardware opengl and Opencpn is working, how to get it it working and whether it will make much difference in speed for vector charts. I have seen that some people say zooming is faster with raster but I don't know how much effort I should put into trying to gather the info to try to get my Pi 2/3 working with HW opengl acceleration. Could someone offer me an opinion?
I am trying yo work out what computer I should install on my new boat and I feel the Pi doesn't quite cut the mustard for Opencpn. It will be interesting to see what the Pi3 can do
Thanks
nasimwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 18:10   #17

Boat: 33' Nonsuch
Re: Rpi 3/2 hardware opengl and Vector charts

Nasim, what are you using for the touch screen? The official rpi one? Is whatever you're using sunlight readable?
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, hardware