Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 22:07   #1

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Routes Leave Permanent Waypoints on Chart

I'm running version 1.3.4.

I have a large collection of routes from previous (over 20) years using CMAP, MaxSea, and SeaClearII programs. OpenCPN looks like the answer to consolidating these routes into one program.

I have used GPSUtility to convert some of these routes to .gpx format for use in OpenCPN.

When converting the routes I have included the waypoints with the expectation that the route and waypoints could be uploaded to my GPS (Furuno GP31). So far I've not succeeded in uploading these but a more immediate problem has surfaced.

When I import a route to OpenCPS using the 'GPX IN' button the route and it's waypoint names are nicely displayed. However, when I delete such routes the waypoint names remain displayed on the charts.

The only way I've been able to get rid of these waypoint names is to delete the program, reload, and re-establish all of my settings. Not good

I have experimented with saving .gpx routes without the waypoints and this can be done and nothing remains when the route is deleted from the screen. However, the identification of waypoints is not possible doing this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 00:46   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
The only way I've been able to get rid of these waypoint names is to delete the program, reload, and re-establish all of my settings.
You are describing a bug in the program. This has been discussed before, but I'm not quite sure of the conclusion. The best would be to repost to the " Beta Test / Technical" thread that Dave, the lead developer is monitoring.

But you definitely don't need to reinstall the program to get rid of waypoints included in a route. I assume that you are using Windows! Navigate to "Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\opencpn". This is a hidden directory, and you may have to adjust your settings to find it. Open the file "opencpn ", that is a configuration and settings file , in notepad.
Find a line with the word
Quote:
[Marks]
towards the end of the file.
The following lines are description of your waypoints. Delete those you don't want. Each mark starts with a line similar to this.
Quote:
[Marks/MarkDfn2]
The marks should be gone if you restart OpenCPN.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 15:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

YachtValhalla...

Thanks for the feedback. This is an old problem that we thought we had licked. Guess not...

Could you send to me or post here a copy of a GPX route file that displays the problem you report? I am unable to reproduce it locally.

Cagney, do you have such a GPX file?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 16:25   #4

Sample routes

These routes leave the waypoints on the screen.

Thanks for your quick replies.
Attached Files
File Type: doc RoutesLeavingWP.doc (23.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 04-11-2009, 16:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

yachtvalhalla...

Sorry, cannot make sense of the .doc format attachment. Seems to be just a graphical file folder image??

How about a text or zip file?

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 13:24   #6

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Cagney, do you have such a GPX file?
Sorry Dave, can't help you in this area.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:27   #7

Hi Dave,

I've uploaded a zip file of two routes to my website.

Can download it here.

Would have thought this board would support zip files for uploading

Terry
Old 05-11-2009, 15:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Yachtvalhalla....

Terry:
Got the zipped GPX files. Thanks.

I find that these GPX files contain duplicate points. That is, they contain isolated waypoints, viz.

Code:
<wpt lat="14.417127" lon="120.493594"><name>MASU00</name><sym>103</sym></wpt>
And they contain "routepoints" as a part of a route, as in:

Code:
<rtept lat="14.417127" lon="120.493594"><name>MASU00</name><sym>103</sym></rtept>
So, opencpn obeys and imports a route as well as a set of isolated waypoints. When you delete the route, the isolated waypoints remain.

I've never seen a GPX file like this. I don't know how to interpret it.

Question: Where did the GPX files get created? Are there any options available to preclude duplicate points on the export/creation?

I suppose if we need to we can code opencpn such that a routepoint identically the same as a previously defined waypoint will take precedence over the waypoint, and the waypoint will be discarded. Seems a bit scary to me to discard waypoints, though.

Thoughts, anyone?
Dave
Old 06-11-2009, 00:42   #9

Hi Dave et al,

The routes I posted were created using GPSUtility from MaxSea routes (ver 10.3.2.1). I opened the MaxSea route in GPSU and exported it as a .gpx file (Save/Export options..).

I haven't tried some of the others I have (CMAP4, SeaClear II, etc.) but will in the next few days. In the process of hauling the boat and got delayed today ... Philippine time is like 'manana' but not with such urgency

BR, Terry
Old 06-11-2009, 01:05   #10

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Enjoyed your site on a number of occasions Terry
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01   #11

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Deleting waypoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I suppose if we need to we can code opencpn such that a routepoint identically the same as a previously defined waypoint will take precedence over the waypoint, and the waypoint will be discarded. Seems a bit scary to me to discard waypoints, though.

Thoughts, anyone?
Dave
I agree, seems scary to auto-discard. Instead I would vote for a way to multi-select waypoints; say, control-drag to create a box that selects several. Then you could delete them all. Or, in my dreams, you could edit the selected group: change all the icons or shift-drag to reposition them all.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:12   #12
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Maybe a warning when duplicate waypoints are imported, with an option to discard the duplicates that are not attached to a route.

Also, a text editor for waypoints and routes would be nice. Maybe a column for "Dup", "Standalone", be able to sort by any column, select range or multiples, and delete.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:27   #13

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Yes, a list-oriented text-oriented editor would be useful. I have been using Garmin's MapSource to plan trips, then download to GPS. It uses a Win32 ListView (wxListCtrl) to allow direct access to all waypoints. Columns include name, symbol, position, comment, date modified, and others. Click on any column to sort (first ascending, then descending). Waypoints themselves can be categorized and filtered by category (that is a bit kludgy). It's not fully textual, but enough to be useful and allow easy individual and limited group editing.

MapSource supports drag multi-selection too, but it is modal: rather than using a combo of keys to do multi-select, the Selection mode is set from a toolbar or menu. This approach has pros and cons...I've seen both, and an app can even support both. It's very powerful for planning - there are waypoint and route modes that make it fast & easy to build waypoints and routes.

I mention MapSource, but these UI approaches are pretty common - nothing wrong with adopting the best of the best.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 17:37   #14

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave, Terry,

There have been problems using GPSutility before:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=57

GPSutility seem to have a different idea of how a GPX file is formated then does OpenCPN.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 01:37   #15

Workaround for marks left on chart

I've discovered a workaround to get rid of the waypoints left on the chart when a route has been imported and then deleted.

1. Right-click on any waypoint in the route and select 'Delete All waypoints'.
2. Say 'Yes' to: 'Are you sure you want to delete <ALL> waypoints?'
3. Right-click on the route line and select either 'Delete route' or 'Delete all routes'. Answer in the affirmative.

This is easier than making corrections to the .ini file.