Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2010, 08:55   #1

Route Info Not Constantly Showing

Hello,

I'm facing an isue/problem that the route data (a route created in Opencpn) is not constantly shown on the Clipper gps repeater. The display is changing between SOG + COG and SOG + COG + DTW + Bearing. The wiring is setup as shown in the picture.

To me it looks as though the required information for the Clipper GPS repeater has some delay when sent out of Opencpn.

Anyone who has a suggestion how I can solve it?

Thanks!
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 02:50   #2

Ehhh, anybody who has an idea on how to solve it?
Old 23-10-2010, 05:09   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki
My only idea is to use a sniffer like portmon.exe for serial data or snoopypro.exe for USB data passing the ports. These are very low level tools and possibly hard to understand, but they shows all data transfering the ports when the laptop runs with Windows.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 05:33   #4

Thanks CarCode.
I'm probably not the one with enough experience on low level communication to understand the meaning of the information these tools are showing.

The clipper gps repeater is every now and than saying 'no gps signal' while the gps is switched on and showing the position data on it's screen. IMHO there is some timing issue. F.i., I don't know the data interval the clipper requires to show the correct information.

Kind of puzzling me....
Old 23-10-2010, 06:22   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki
This timing problem may result onto a heavy loaded NMEA bus perhaps? When you switch off some other units temporally from the bus do you get the same behavior also? Another thought coming in mind is any device on the bus which disturbs the communication? Third idea is any other cable nearby with transfering high amps to interfere the bus cables?
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 08:56   #6

The multiplexer has the ability to show if there is a buffer overflow. So far I did not see any indication of overflow. However, to be sure, I'll give your suggestion a go and switch some of the instruments. Maybe that will also tell me something on disturbance of the communication. Regarding your third thought, the cables follow the same route as they did before installing the multiplexer. If that causes the problem probably requires in depth measurement.

NMEA, two wires and sometimes so complex...