Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59   #31

Boat: 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Like this one? (I did not bother to "expand" the PLY rectangle.)
Well... perhaps not totally white
Attachment 23442

Thomas
Cagney,
Oh,yes!that's it.You have a full border too!Nice!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18   #32

Boat: Islander Yachts Corp, Bahamas 30 shoal draft 4 ft
Send a message via MSN to casique8
Dominican Republic Electronic Charts?

Hello
Are there Dominican Republic north coast electronic charts any were?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
Excuse me but I do not understand your question
M'dJ.Well,as a blank.A template.I started out on the whim of creating a blank template kap and first tried a blank white tif but could not get a kap from tiff2kap unless I scribbled some colours on the tif as well....that was my question.
It is not a problem for me though.I will just start with black templates.

Do you see my idea per templates?as an easily editable graphic chart?but not so much a chart as a description with pictures,arrows,all available to SAIL on...
example:Imagine a photo of a harbour entrance taken from a known position.This can be placed into the template at the position
If you sail to the position,you now have a perfect view of what the harbour looks like from there.

But of course you could also place the harbour view picture onto a chart- as-tif and then make a kap from it but the blank template still has certain advantages in certain situations.

For instance,(as you know!)it's a feature of tiff2kap that it tells you when the tiff is not big enough.If you read my first post,you can see that this is a feature first confounding to a casual user like me but taken as a GOOD feature,it enables a template to be quickly made that covers ANY area.

I'm not exactly sure yet of all the ways this can be useful.

It's true I can do all this in other ways with OziExplorer sent to map2kap.But, using just OPenCPN,I cannot easily do it without your tool.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35   #34

Quote:
Like this one? (I did not bother to "expand" the PLY rectangle.)
Well... perhaps not totally white
Attachment 23442

Thomas
Hey,wait a minute,yer border is skewed!Click image for larger version

Name:	skewed.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	23445

Old 02-02-2011, 12:57   #35
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
Okay, thank you for your clarification

There is no problem in doing this, the difficulty is to calculate the height and width of the image along the postions of the desired map.

The number of pixels is essential because too many pixels gives a large file and memory problem, but few pixels can not write or draw correctly.

The simplest is to calculate the height and width using the values of an existing map, then make a blank image file of the correct size with Paint or Gimp ... then convert to tiff 2, 8 or 16 colors, (save this file for annotations to come) and then convert it with tiff2kap.

This answers he was your question?
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:13   #36

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Hey,wait a minute,yer border is skewed!Attachment 23445

That's easily fixed, beside the point, and a result of garbage in garbage out when using an existing jpg( made all white) and a map file with map2kap. The real secret is in the SE corner

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:35   #37
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Hey,wait a minute,yer border is skewed!Attachment 23445

That's OK. cagney is a little skewed, himself. So it all works out.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 14:06   #38

Boat: Dufour 35
There might just be a totally different approach to what Happy Seagull is looking for.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mark-test.png
Views:	197
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	23451
(just random pic on random pos for illustration)
This is not a Gimp trick. Its pure OpenCPN. Read this Routes and Marks | Official OpenCPN Homepage
When the possibility to use xpm pics as marks was introduced, Dave asked for feedback on how to use this capability, but there was no feedback...... Maybe it's a good time now.
I think that this could be taken a long way ....and be very useful.
Imagemagick - convert- has no problems, that I have found yet, to convert pictures to xpm files.
One big limitation for the moment is that OpenCPN only reads the user directory on startup, but that could change.

What do you guys think?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 16:01   #39

Quote:
Okay, thank you for your clarification

There is no problem in doing this, the difficulty is to calculate the height and width of the image along the postions of the desired map.

The number of pixels is essential because too many pixels gives a large file and memory problem, but few pixels can not write or draw correctly.

The simplest is to calculate the height and width using the values of an existing map, then make a blank image file of the correct size with Paint or Gimp ... then convert to tiff 2, 8 or 16 colors, (save this file for annotations to come) and then convert it with tiff2kap.

This answers he was your question?
Pardon,M'dJ-c'est "Google Translator!"
Non, pas exactement, à la blanche ou noire modèles, mais il a été simple curiosité...
Je dit tous les modèles blancs ne fonctionnent pas bien pour moi, mais les noirs do.But ce n'est pas un problème!
(Repetez en anglais:
All-white templates don't work well for me but black ones do.But it is not a problem!)

... je trouve facile de faire un modèle de toute taille-Je viens de lui faire faire deux fois! Tiff2kap me dit que la correction de la taille de la positions.It est plus facile que de penser!
(Repetez en Anglais:
...I find it easy to make a template of any size-I just run it through twice!Tiff2kap tells me the correction of size for the positions.It is easier than thinking!)
Old 02-02-2011, 16:46   #40

Quote:
There might just be a totally different approach to what Happy Seagull is looking for.
Attachment 23451
This is not a Gimp trick. Its pure OpenCPN. Read this Routes and Marks | Official OpenCPN Homepage
When the possibility to use xpm pics as marks was introduced, Dave asked for feedback on how to use this capability, but there was no feedback...... Maybe it's a good time now.
Imagemagick - convert- has no problems, that I have found yet, to convert pictures to xpm files.
One big limitation for the moment is that OpenCPN only reads the user directory on startup, but that could change.

What do you guys think?

Thomas
Hey,GREAT!As you have demonstrated so well,pix can be inserted already!And can be shared around too if you export the GPX file and include the xpm...I have no problem with using the present one:"C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\UserIcons " Cool,man!

It could just be mentioned Plainer in the help file with a separate louder subtitle:"Large Pictures as Marks" to grab attention.and even maybe tack a little shortcut straight to the UserIcon folder on the startmenu or Desktop .rename the Folder YourPixandIcons even.
I've already made some waypoint icons no problem but didn't think of this!...(I got distracted (=failed!)making an ownship icon that'd work-another subject but I like the Default anyways).Could it also be transparent text?ie:Chart corrections!though"Transparent" is not needed it's elegant.Very cool!

I'm still peevish about ImageMagick and the like but just a matter of taste.Any more Windozy apps that'll "do" xpm?
Weirdly,Irfanview sees xpm ok but can't save.Maybe there's a plugin just for me!or a workaround.
Old 02-02-2011, 20:05   #41

Quote:
I'm still peevish about ImageMagick and the like but just a matter of taste.Any more Windozy apps that'll "do" xpm?
Weirdly,Irfanview sees xpm ok but can't save.Maybe there's a plugin just for me!or a workaround.
XNVIEW works though...

bware.kap.doc

Anyways ,here's a difference from the Picture_as_waypoint vs chart with picture...zooming and placement.To get my marked up picture,I need only choose it or unchoose it from OpenCpn bottom bar and,I can Zoom in.or out.Can't do that with the waypoint Picture so it's going to be small to not clutter the screen or full screen to totally block the on-deck chart whichever it is...Sure,I can control the picture in Waypoint Properties but-well there might be a keyboard shortcut.
Full screen IS nice.If I think I wanted a full sized picture tiled into the charts,I could convert it to a chart and HAVE it full sized-again,from the "chartbar" or via keyboard...and I can zoom in and out AND all my charts are available!

There's not a lot of difference.may just be a preference.I will use em both!
Old 02-02-2011, 20:14   #42

Quote:
That's easily fixed, beside the point, and a result of garbage in garbage out when using an existing jpg( made all white) and a map file with map2kap. The real secret is in the SE corner

Thomas
A watermark!?What's next!
So in map2kap to make this,did you crank up Ozi or MapCal_2?Or can you bypass em completely somehow?That's what appeals to me,I guess.
Old 02-02-2011, 23:35   #43
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
Hello HappySeagull;

Can you send me a white kap file which does not work?
So that I look for the origin of the problem.

(Thank you for French, but Google is really very bad)
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14   #44

Quote:
Hello HappySeagull;

Can you send me a white kap file which does not work?
So that I look for the origin of the problem.

(Thank you for French, but Google is really very bad)

M'dJ
this is 16 colours

WHITE.tif.doc

Actually,Black ones don't work when I make em as New files.There is a palette for them in irfanview

heres a cmd line to paste if anyone out there would like to play by pasting or colouring and saving with this as 128colours or less...

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51   #45

A keyboard shortcut to turn Waypoint icons off?

Quote:
Attachment 23451

What do you guys think?

Thomas
How about a keyboard shortcut to turn off/on all the waypoint icons?This would mostly answer my objection as to "blocking all charts when the picture icon is active".