Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 06:45   #16

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Reliable Methods for Desktop Testing of Autopilot Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
A second try using ShipdriverTracker_pi and AutoTrackRaymarine, and I notice that

1. XTE in AutoTrackRaymarine is larger than the XTE in the Active Route, which seems to be always in the 0.1 to 0.9 range.
2. 2nd Leg: AutoTrackRaymarine (ATR) seems to be following something other than the Active Route, but towards the end of the second leg seems to be changing course to meet the waypoint, and then suddenly the next leg is activated so the boat never gets there.
3. 3rd Leg: ATR tracks closer to the active route but still off by a little. At the end of the leg ATR alters course to come closer to the WPT.
4. Completion: The active route is completed and the active route console disappears and the route changes color. We hit ShipDriverTracker "Stop" to stop the boat and change its color from red to black.

Comment: I am still puzzled by the difference in XTE and why the ship is not following the active route more closely. I am probably doing something wrong and Douwe probably has an answer.
Rick,
I tried your example by manually reproducing your route. It is runnning quite well. But the main difference is that I am using my version of shipdriver (with currents), you are using your ShipDriverTracker. In your srceen images the boat speed is 1 knot, too slow for me, I can't wait that long. But your current speed slider is around 3 Kts, while the current display shows 0 Kts, something wrong here. I suspect the current is non zero. And with a boat speed of 1 Kts you can not handle a current of 3 Kts.

1. In ATR the XTE is displayed in meters, O is using nautical miles.
2. Premature activation of the next leg is done by O, depending on the arrival radius.
3. Leg 3, direction of the current is more favorable now, getting closer to the route.
4.Fine.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 15:28   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Douwe, I believe the two versions are essentially identical. I will retry.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 08:34   #18

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Douwe, I believe the two versions are essentially identical. I will retry.
Check your ShipdriverTracker_p. Why is it showing 0 kts current with the slider non-zero? Does the value change with the slider?

I would suggest to do the first trials with a reasonable boat speed, not 1 knot but 5 - 7 and current slider on 0.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, desktop, plug, plugin