Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 16:34   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Reading Notes on a Chart

I was trying to read a note on a chart and every time I would get up to read it and try to zoom in it would suddenly switch to a different chart. Is there a way to lock it into the current chart so you can move around it without it trying to shift to another one?
Old 30-11-2009, 20:50   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Note the red line around the image part of the chart. That is the area of the usable chart. If you zoom in on an area outside that line, it will try to find another chart.

Zoom in on an area inside the line, but as close to the red line as possible to read notes outside the line. You can also single left-click on a point to center it on the screen. Same rules apply, but clicking can ensure you don't accidentally pan off the usable area.

And, no, there is no way to lock the chart.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00   #3

Boat: Dufour 35
huguley

You don't say which chart you are referring to, but as I have never seen this in a chart of commercial origin, I suppose you must refer to a privately converted chart.
If notes, as for example tidal information, behaves the way you describe, it is due to the way the person who converted the chart placed the so called PLY points. I'm surprised to see charts where essential information is excluded in this way, the cartographer put it there for a reason.
If you know libbsb this can, however, easily be corrected.
More about this in the chart thread.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
You did not indicate which charting program you're using but of the few that I've used, right clicking on the chart will open a window with a list of options regarding the chart one of which is commonly "Information" or words to that effect which usually includes all of the notes pertaining to the given chart.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 16:08   #5

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
The chart is 11428 there are lots of other charts that overlap it and there is quite a bit of white space on the edges so as soon as you get up to where the notes would be it jumps off to another chart before you can even start to zoom in to make the text legible.

I guess a simple solution is to take the other charts out for now so that I can get to the notes without it jumping off. I could go pick up a piloting guide as that would have more detail in it anyway.

So far I like opencpn. It gets me the info I need to get my gps programmed and plan a route. If I had some protection for the computer in the cockpit I would have it with me!
Old 01-12-2009, 16:52   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
The problem as you further describe it confirms what I said in post #2.

Getting rid of the other charts will not help in OpenCPN. It will just go to a blank screen when you cross the red line.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12   #7

Boat: Dufour 35
I was obviously wrong in my statement about this problem not appearing in commercial charts. Just goes to show how little time I spent wit US raster charts.

I adjusted the limits a bit on 11428_1.KAP, see picture. Unfortunately I can't attach the chart here as it is bigger than the allowed size for attachments. PM me if you want to test it.

Hey Dan, maybe there is a chart-converting-life after the kiwi lot.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddd7.png
Views:	189
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	11445  
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote