Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 11:37   #1

Raymarine X5

Can opencpn on a pi control a raymarine x5?

I was thinking of using the X5 with a new raymarine type 1 linear drive.

Would this work?
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 12:26   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Raymarine X5

As to using a homemade control and display leave that to others.

The X-5 has no clutch control signal, but a toggle switch and 12V could solve this.

The X-5 has a advertised continuous rating of 5 or 6 amps. When I work through the schematic it looks like the overload sense threshold as about 10 amps (how long ??). The transistors driving the motor are capable of more, but the X-5 monitors the motor current. One could fudge this slightly with a few resistors and a soldering iron.

The actuator current draw is a function of rudder forces and system /configuration inertia. With the smart pilots including rate sensors often inertia is a bigger power issue for a lot of craft/ conditions.

The X-5 is a sophisticated piece of electronics (I ran one for years driving a Benmar rotary actuator), but it was on a light helm craft and configured for minimum rotational inertia.

Pays your money and take your chances.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 21:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
As to using a homemade control and display leave that to others.

The X-5 has no clutch control signal, but a toggle switch and 12V could solve this.

The X-5 has a advertised continuous rating of 5 or 6 amps. When I work through the schematic it looks like the overload sense threshold as about 10 amps (how long ??). The transistors driving the motor are capable of more, but the X-5 monitors the motor current. One could fudge this slightly with a few resistors and a soldering iron.

The actuator current draw is a function of rudder forces and system /configuration inertia. With the smart pilots including rate sensors often inertia is a bigger power issue for a lot of craft/ conditions.

The X-5 is a sophisticated piece of electronics (I ran one for years driving a Benmar rotary actuator), but it was on a light helm craft and configured for minimum rotational inertia.

Pays your money and take your chances.

Frankly
Thank you!

The boat is a pretty light handling 33’ mono hull

Any ideas on that clutch?
Maybe some sort of relay?

It would also be interesting to see if opencpn could talk to the X5, I see it does have NEMA183 in and out.

Or maybe nema into the controller head from the Pi?

Old 14-10-2020, 06:17   #4

My Benmar has a mechanical clutch (a superior arrangement IMO), so I never got too far into looking for a clutch signal that could be used to drive a relay. Suspect there is one in there somewhere, might just have to find it with a meter or scope.

If you do a search for RM X-5 Service Manual you can find the service manual complete with schematic diagrams. As I said it is a suprisingly complex and sophisticated piece of electronics. I say that having spent a 30 year career designing automatic control systems for the US Navy.

I am off down the Evo road now. Have used the RM 4000, 5000, S series (with and without the rate sensor), and X-5. Each one a improvement over the previous.

There is currently a Benmar drive listed on ebay. If you can work out a chain and sprocket drive arrangement (a marriage made in Heaven for the IP thru the legs rack and pinion steering). I have my original and three spares (good for at least another 500 years).

Frankly
Old 14-10-2020, 07:21   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Can opencpn on a pi control a raymarine x5?

Why not through the nmea0183 in connection with the X5 diagram showing this interface.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:28   #6

The X-5 has three digital comm interfaces (NMEA 0183, ST, and STNG). Just because it has these interfaces does not mean that the internal software would accept command and control through all three (although the ST and STNG are intended for such).

If you just want to fool around, get a used one off ebay and have at it. If you want a working AP suggest you invest in one of the compatible control and display units. The 0183 interface works fine for GPS chart plotter type input and does bridge most of this type of info to the ST bus, just suspect that controlling the X-5 through that interface is a stretch.

Frankly

From memory: I think the actual 0183 commands are listed in the back of the manual.
Old 14-10-2020, 08:37   #7

Opencpn connection out would have a filter for just the control sentences.
Opencpn connection in would have a filter for just the fluxgate sentences.
Old 15-10-2020, 08:21   #8

I believe the 0183-seatalk converter is already built into the controller, so additional converters are useless expense.
Old 15-10-2020, 11:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I believe the 0183-seatalk converter is already built into the controller, so additional converters are useless expense.

You don't seem to grasp the issue is not about the interface per se, it is are there 0183 sentences for +10 heading change, stbd tack, - 1heading change, stby, ect, ect, ect, ect..... that the X-5 will recognize coming in through the 0183 port. Most real time software is pretty picky about what it will accept and act on.

The normal link for these autopilot specific messages is one of the SEATALK ports. Seatalk info can be found on the net. If controlling the X-5 by computer might look under that rock.

Frankly
Old 15-10-2020, 12:16   #10

I wonder if this would work for the X5?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:developer_manuallugins:beta_ plugins:autopilot_rm_pi

Old 15-10-2020, 12:36   #11

Good question Sailing Sue, I compiled that for windows and set up the Wiki. It certainly would be worth a try. Additionally, we have another OpenCPN plugin that does work which was programmed and compiled by Douwe, which I believe does definitely work.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...trackraymarine

I am sure I don't understand the full complexity of the Raymarine interface, but I have used early TinySeaTalk Converters and the newer Raymarine Converter (which I will be removing shorthly) to replace it with one of OcenNav fine ATM105B Nmea 2000 Seatalk WiFi converter Ocenav ATM105 which allows control of the autopilot.

Also thankfully others have dealt with this complexity and at some point I will get into it further with my old ST4000 Autopilot, and I may have to get a new controller from Sean as it has been totally underwater and taken apart and dried out several times, but still works.

I and others are interested in the course of this thread and the opinions and the facts that can be are exposed.

Tags
marine, raymarine