Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Raymarine AIS Integration with OpenCPN

I have a Raymarine C70 that I have been able to integrate with OpenCPN using a "PC/Seatalk/NMEA Interface Box". I originally purchased the interface box to enable repeating alarms below deck, but found that it had RS232 output as well as an alarm output. I connected this to my PC and Open CPN is seeing the GPS and other SeaTalk data with no problems. I would like to include the AIS data from my Raymarine AIS250 (receive only) which is a NMEA stream.

The AIS NMEA out and in currently connect directly to the C70 chart plotter. This data either does not become a part of the SeaTalk data stream, or if it does the interface box doesn't include that information as part of the RS232 output.

I know this question is Raymarine specific, but any help is appreciated.

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: Raymarine AIS Integration with OpenCPN

Robert,

Have you tried to connect the the AIS NMEA output to the NMEA input on the interface box? This might allow the AIS info to appear on both the RS232 and SEATALK data streams.

Paul

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51   #3

Boat: Victoire 1122

That will not fly. The reason for this is that the AIS receiver works at a higher NMEA speed (38200 Baud)) compared to the 'normal' NMEA bus (4800 Baud). The conversion box is not able to cope with that kind of speed nor is the standard Seatalk protocol.
So the only way you can do that is by connecting a second serial port from your PC to the AIS output (parallel to the plotter) and telling OpenCPN to use a second port for AIS.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26   #4

Boat: Boatless

We fitted an AIS to out Raymarine E80 and Raymarine technical staff were very helpful and the key was changing the baud rate in the E80

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
We fitted an AIS to out Raymarine E80 and Raymarine technical staff were very helpful and the key was changing the baud rate in the E80
That's indeed a solution, but not to the OP's problem. The question was how to connect the AIS receiver to a computer. The connection to the plotter was already functional
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36   #6

Aluijten's answer makes sense to me and I'm going to try that when I can.

I had been looking at the data stream from the interface box on Open CPN and had thought that the AIS must produce a lot more data than this flow handle. Connecting the higher baud rate in parallel was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't sure that was an ok solution. Try it I will, and report back when I do.

Thanks to all.
Robert
Old 16-05-2011, 10:51   #7

Alujten's answer was right on . . . two wires paralleled off the NMEA output on the AIS and OpenCPN was happily keeping track of vessels on SF Bay.
Old 17-05-2011, 01:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf-robert View Post
Alujten's answer was right on . . . two wires paralleled off the NMEA output on the AIS and OpenCPN was happily keeping track of vessels on SF Bay.
Happy to hear you're successful!

Happy Sailing!

Arno
Old 20-05-2011, 12:20   #9

For those that monitored this thread, or will read it in the future, I want to give you some additional information I received from Raymarine tech support:
"The AIS250's 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output port is not designed to support supplying AIS data to more than one NMEA 0183 listener (i.e. the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the AIS250 should not interfaced in a parallel manner."

Since the paralleled configuration was working as far as I could determine, I did ask more about this issue and received the following:
Data corruption may occur and has been observed during development of the AIS250 and AIS500. As such this is considered an unsupported system configuration. Use of a multiplexor as I had suggested within my previous response may be a way for you to work around this limitation.

Robert
Old 20-05-2011, 16:39   #10

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Actually, the real fix would be to take all AIS sentences received on the E80/E120's NMEA-0183 port and convert them to NMEA-2000 over the NMEA-200/SeaTalkng port, but Raymarine is ceasing all development on the "Classic" E-series. Right now, they tell you that to get it, you have to upgrade to the E-Series Widescreen...

Quote:
For those that monitored this thread, or will read it in the future, I want to give you some additional information I received from Raymarine tech support:
"The AIS250's 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output port is not designed to support supplying AIS data to more than one NMEA 0183 listener (i.e. the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the AIS250 should not interfaced in a parallel manner."

Since the paralleled configuration was working as far as I could determine, I did ask more about this issue and received the following:
Data corruption may occur and has been observed during development of the AIS250 and AIS500. As such this is considered an unsupported system configuration. Use of a multiplexor as I had suggested within my previous response may be a way for you to work around this limitation.

Robert
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 01:01   #11

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

As far as I remember you can't use the Raymarine Seatalk to NMEA interface for AIS. The interface is not designed to handle AIS NMEA strings.

NMEA output:

NMEA is also output in response to NMEA input.

Data Transmitted NMEA, Header

Apparent Wind Angle MWV, VWR
Apparent Wind Speed MWV, VWR
Bearing to Waypoint BWC, APB
Course Over Ground (M) VTG
Cross Track Error APB, XTE
Date ZDA
Depth DBT
Distance (Log) VLW
Distance (Trip) VLW
GPS Fix/No Fix GGA, GLL
GPS HDOP GSA, GGA
GPS PDOP GSA
GPS Satellite Azimuth GSV
GPS Satellite Elevation GSV
GPS Satellite PR Number GSV
GPS Satellite SNR GSV
GPS Differential Station ID GGA
GPS Differential AGE GGA
GPS Number of Satellites GGA
GPS Antenna Height GGA

Look in the manual and you will see that this interface cannot be used with AIS.

You would need a interface that supports VDM and VDO sentences.

PS! You can connect up to 3 listeners on the AIS output, but I would recomend using a NMEA buffer to take the load of the AIS. With the buffer in place it's easy to connect the Raymarine plotter and your OCPN plotter without any hassle.

I would recommend using Actisense NBF-2 wich is opto isolated on all ports and between all ports.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 07:46   #12

There are a couple of ways you can do this but you will have to buy a black box of some sort. I have done it two ways.

1. Use a Shipmodule miniplex2 in whichever flavour you prefer. I am using the USB variant. This takes Seatalk, NMEA (at 4800 Baud) and AIS (38400 Baud) and produces output in various formats.

2. I also have a USB output available from my AIS receiver, a comar systems AIS-MULTI which will perform basic multiplexing of a standard NMEA input into the AIS stream.

I think that the Shipmodul solution is the way to go for you as you already have AIS and your plotters NMEA is set up for AIS.

What OS are you running OpenCPN on?

I have the following setup. Raymarine E80, ST60+ wind and depth, and ST70 pilot, Shipmodul miniplex. The output usually feeds a Mac Mini with touch screen in the nav station on which I run a variety of nav, and comms, software. But also have a netbook with Ubuntu Linux running OpenCPN as a backup.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific queries I'll try to help.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 14:04   #13

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
As far as I remember you can't use the Raymarine Seatalk to NMEA interface for AIS. The interface is not designed to handle AIS NMEA strings.
HotRod,

When you say "Raymarine Seatalk to NMEA interface for AIS", do you mean the stand-alone multiplexer? If so, then yes - that is correct. It will not support 38400 bps.

The Raymarine E-series' physical NMEA-0183 port can be put in true NMEA 0183 mode at 4800 bps, Navtex mode at 4800 or 9600 bps, or AIS mode at 38400 bps. When the port is in AIS mode, it will send any and all valid NMEA sentences as well as AIS.

What I was complaining about was that in order to have AIS data received on the E-series NMEA port be repeated out the NMEA-2000 port, you need a newer E-series widescreen model - the Classic version will not do it. It will only repeat AIS info over its Ethernet interface. Not over SeaTalk (only 9600 bps). Not over NMEA-2000. Ethernet only - which is "proprietary" and only works with other Raymarine devices at this point...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57   #14

Probably my last comment on this. I subsequently spoke with an independent electronics installer who said that NMEA standards allow up to three parallel connections. I've decided to go ahead with my install as is.

Robert

Quote:

Robert
Old 05-07-2011, 09:00   #15

Boat: Beneteau 361

Littlechay,
Can you comment on my post as of today. Look in this section. Because you use a mux, I'm interested in several 183 data strings overloading the buffers!!!!

Phil
nilespf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, raymarine