Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 22:51   #1

Boat: Friendship 28
Raspberry Pi 2 some points to know

Hi,

Iīm using oc with a headless pi2.
With an android tablet I can interact via remote with the pi.

In the moment I use the latest jessie (not stretch yet) and OC 4.8.0 with plugins from the ubuntu ppa.

What to know:

For the remote connection itīs possible to use xrdp or vnc.
Xrdp works great but itīs inpossible to use the hw grafic acceleration cause xrdp uses virtual desctops not the console desctop.
Since a few month jessie Comes with a build in vnc server (realvnc). This works also great and it will use the console desktop. Cause of this itīs possible to use hw grafic acceleration. In the piīs config itīs possible to use two settings, with "full kms" and with "fake kms". When using the "full kms" option the resolution is very bad and not changeble. When using the "fake kms" option the resulution ist very much better (can set in the raspi config).

With hw acceleration on itīs possible to switch OpenGL in oc to on.
With the latest jessie and oc 4.8 there are no problems using raster or vector charts. Since yet I didnīt get a problem when zooming or panning the (big) charts.

There are different ways to get charts. A longer time I use "self-made" raster charts (made from my paper charts). This works well but making the charts needs time.

Now I use the oesenc Vektor charts. Itīs very easy to get and install theese charts in oc and there are really good and very cheap. The piīs grafic can manage theese charts and in daily use itīs ok for such a low cost (and low e-consumption!) system.
Thereīs one Point to know when using Vektor charts: The chart information strongly depends from the zoom step. So it can be that e.g. informations for vhf channels are only visible in one special zoom step. This is also the same when trying to get the informations about the doubble clic or right clic and object Information menue.

The last point is that after updating jessie and oc to the latest version I canīt reactivate the tidal or current Informations. When clicking on the Tide or current point oc stops and shut down (normally a window with the tide graph will open). I tried to use it with or without the hw acceleration or trying the original harmonic file. I reinstalled oc. Since yet I didnīt find a way to reactivate this. The currents or the Tide bar will be shown but right click->bang - out. The log file didnīt show anything, just stops.

Regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:02   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 some points to know

Andreas29
I found this report very interesting. Thank you. Would you support software opengl that Did_g suggests?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:20   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quick note for anyone who fancies giving a Raspberry Pi a go -
Fast enough even without the experimental hardware video acceleration enabled.

The openplotter image has everything you need plus much more, ready to go-

OpenPlotter RPI | Sailoog

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...on/content/en/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:43   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Quick note for anyone who fancies giving a Raspberry Pi a go -
Fast enough even without the experimental hardware video acceleration enabled.

The openplotter image has everything you need plus much more, ready to go-

OpenPlotter RPI | Sailoog

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...on/content/en/
I'am using Linux Stretch and OpenPlotter and the latest kernel version. Works great.

Screen movements are fast if you don't switch OpenGL to on ! Switching OpenGL to on then the screen movement slows down.

Linux stretch is certainly an improvement and very stable.

Only the update function on OpenPlotter does not work.

But you do the update in Jessie and then switch to Stretch.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:40   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Screen movements are fast if you don't switch OpenGL to on ! Switching OpenGL to on then the screen movement slows down.

Bram
Did you actually enable the vc4 driver??
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 01:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Using the latest kernel 4.9.57 and switching the VC4 driver and OpenGL in OpenCPN to on. Then O is not working well and stalls.

Switching off the VC4 and OpenGL in OpenCpn 4.8. Then I get fast screen movements.

Linux version is Stretch with OpenPlotter.

You have to use the OpenPlotter updates with the Jessy version and then switch to Stretch (Debian 9.1). Quite a long update process.

Because updating OpenPlotter still does not work. Other updates for Stretch etc work.

The Linux Stretch version is also very stable. Recommended !

Egalax Touchscreen worked in Jessy "out of the box". But in Stretch you have to install the driver from EETI and have to make adjustments in de config file. Then this also works.

Bram
Old 22-10-2017, 01:54   #7

Hi,

there where some questions, try to answer them

I use the latest up to date Jessie. I found a description for an update procedure to Stretch but this doesenīt work for me. For setting up the pi with a new out-of-the-box Stretch I didnīt found the time.

The kernelversion in Jessie is 4.9.35-v7+
The grafic-driver ist vc4-fkms-v3d
No overclocking
Graficmemory is set to 128 mb.

OC is 4.8.0 as ready build packages from the ubuntu-ppa. Also the plugins.

Using osenc vector charts (but also tried rastercharts 50mb each)

With this I can switch OpenGL to on and then itīs a little bit faster then without OpenGL. No crashes when zooming or panning.

With the fine world chart fps are 50 to 90, with the vector charts 5 to 12. Without hw accl. and OpenGL the vector charts will run with 1 to 5 fps.

After the latest update of Jessie the problem with the tidal grafic is solved.

The only Problem left is the grafic overlay Problem with the grib plugin. But maybe I try to compile oc with the changes for the pi or I swith back to OC 4.6 wich I can restore from a backup file.

I want OpenGL on cause the radarplugin needs this option and I whant to change my radarinstallation to a 3g radar.
When doing this I want to install a 13" Monitor at the chart table as the main chartplotter and using the Tablet as remote chart plotter.

@rgleason: I only have experience with jessie and OC and the plugins. On the raspberrys web site there are more exambles for OpenGL Software.
After seraching in the web for hours and hours and a lot try and error I found out that the hw grafic acceleration on the pi with jessie will not work with the xrdp remote desktop solution, but with vnc it will. This is my personal conclusion.
Here https://www.segeln-forum.de/board1-r...pi-und-opengl/ is a discussion (in german) about this. Maybe when running ubuntu on the pi you can use xrdp with the hw acceleration and OpenGL but I donīt really know cause I didnīt try this.

Regards

Andreas
Old 22-10-2017, 04:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Dear B-A,

just did a new try. Now kernel 4.9.57. Linux Stretch. Switched the VC4 driver to on and OpenCPN OpenGL also to on. And it seems to work. The problem was caused by the texture caching that was switched to on. And now with this switch to off, OpenGL works with a low processor load. Not higher then 30 %.

Regards,

Bram
Old 22-10-2017, 17:50   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Andreas29, thank you for looking into that. I do hope Did_g will see your post.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:59   #10

Hi,

@rgleason: I tested software OpenGL now. Itīs much slower than hardwareaccelerated OpenGL. So I will not support software OpenGL.

When I found the time Iīll try to built oc from source and than Iīll look what the fps will say.

Regards

Andreas
Old 31-10-2017, 02:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Dear B-A,

just did a new try. Now kernel 4.9.57. Linux Stretch. Switched the VC4 driver to on and OpenCPN OpenGL also to on. And it seems to work. The problem was caused by the texture caching that was switched to on. And now with this switch to off, OpenGL works with a low processor load. Not higher then 30 %.

Regards,

Bram
Linux stretch with switching on the VC4 driver, works very well with kernel 4.9.59.

Screen movements in OpenCPN works best without switching OpenGL in OpenCPN to on ?!