Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 00:40   #616

Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

This is a quick test I use:

Quote:
nc 153.44.253.27 5631 | pv -r -b -t -i 10 | socat stdin UDP4-SENDTO:192.168.14.128:8500
That is Norwegian AIS data I believe, it is a public realtime source.
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:52   #617
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
This is the same AIS-stream I have tested with, plus some others.

I'll try to recreate this, just to confirm we have the same setup:

- OpenCPN running, no other plugins, just some basemap displayed

- OpenCPN listening on UDP for NMEA

We did run some oeSENC maps plus the background

Quote:
- Another machine listening the AIS-stream(s) with socat and generating one synthetic/fake AIVDM-sentence with python aislib per AIS-target

- Each AIVDM sent as separate UDP packet to machine running OpenCPN

For us the incoming stream works just as is. No processing required.
Just setting up an UDP input with the AIShub credentials at Options|Communications
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:22   #618

Boat: Najad 34

How does this AIS playing (flooding?) relate to the Radar plugin as such?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:09   #619

Hi there-
I was able to get everything working with my new Garmin xHD. Unfortunately, the setup required an IP binding to the eth0 interface and that has taken over the IP settings for other openplotter services (VNC, SignalK, etc.) They are no longer available through the wlan interface.. Any thoughts on how to correct this?
Thanks,
Mike
jmu92grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 23:32   #620

Mike..
I'm not a Linux expert but as far the two. eth0 and wifi, are not on the same subnet it would work. I found this discussion if of any help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=225433
Old 12-09-2021, 19:44   #621

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Hi Folks
I'm pretty happy so far with Radar Pi and my setup. I did notice something odd, but it's not a show stopper. When I enable my radar It knocks out my internet access. It's not starting Radar Pi, but actually turning on the radar. Anybody run into this.
My setup is:
RPI 3B+
HALO 20+ Radar
Moitessier Board
Gedad MCS Board
Edgerouter X
Digital Yacht AIS2500

The Edge Router is setup for WAN failover access for Etho0 and Etho1
The RPI is plugged into Etho2
The HALO 20+ is plugged into Etho2

It's useable, I just thought it was odd that when I enable the radar with the yellow power enable wire it looses internet access.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:22   #622

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@akopac, it sounds like your Edge router is reacting to the multicast group that the radar (and plugin) use?

Unfortunately, I don't have any EdgeRouter wisdom to share.

A workaround could be to connect the RPi as WiFi client?
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:23   #623

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmu92grad View Post
Hi there-
I was able to get everything working with my new Garmin xHD. Unfortunately, the setup required an IP binding to the eth0 interface and that has taken over the IP settings for other openplotter services (VNC, SignalK, etc.) They are no longer available through the wlan interface.. Any thoughts on how to correct this?
Thanks,
Mike

Remove any bridge (br0) between eth0 and wlan0 (or whatever the interfaces are called), and make the WLAN use a different IP range.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 20:02   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
This might take a while, our Garmin expert is not at his boat. And I am crossing back to Europe in May-July. Be prepared to run packet traces etc.

@merrimac
I am on the boot now. The radar is installed but I have problems to get it running and no idea what it may be. I also asked for help in the "Radar plugin 5.2.1 released" post, not knowing which is correct. It looks I have to talk to someone who knows Garmin and can help me. Can you direct me?
JoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:39   #625

Garmin Fantom 18 - Radar

Hi All,

I can confirm the Garmin Fantom 18 does indeed report returns to the Radar plugin and accurately (as best we can tell) displays data. And, all the typical controls seem to work as well. It connects and acts like an xHD, as long as we wake the unit with a chart plotter first. Network subnet needs to be the 255.255.240.0.

As we have seen mentioned earlier in this thread, standby mode is most definitely not the same, where grounding pin 5 on the network cable does not wake the unit.

We are researching this now and hope to come up with an alternative way to wake the unit. However, are there any other known issues related to the Fantom radars once the unit is awake and connected?

Chandler
LoopZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 23:11   #626

Chandler..
Thanks for the report.

If you, or anyone else, would find the wake up logic we would of course appreciate that info.
Old 19-10-2021, 11:36   #627

one thing to try
install wakeonlan package
and send wake on lan packet
don’t know if that is going to work but as an experiment…
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 11:35   #628

Re: Garmin Fantom 18 - Radar

Chandler,

Your post is very interesting. I'm trying to connect a Garmin xHD2 scanner to OCPN and I'm also having problems turning it on. Pin 5 to ground has no effect on me either. Looks to me like both scanners should be addressed similarly.

Could you get the IP address of the scanner and can you ping it when the plotter is not connected?

I am interested in anything that could help.
JoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 11:42   #629

Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released - Garmin Fantom 18 - Radar

Hey,

It is indeed a 'wake on LAN' type of thing. We actually removed pins 4,5,7,8 (the blue and browns) from the RJ45 and the radar still wakes up the instant we plug it into the chart plotter. So it is definitely an IP packet.

We are trying wake on LAN, and have sniffed the ports with wireshark to try to find the actual packet being sent to wake it up. Interesting enough, there is also a packet to shut it back down (normally sent when you power down the chart plotter).

Trouble is, we attempt to send a packet, but the multicast seems to strip it out. Not sure if it is a Windows firewall or dynamic multicast port thing, but we are working through it. We think we know the packet (if it isn't a simple wake on LAN), but can't see it arrive in the switch the radar is connect to.

Anyone know more about multicast and how to send this packet?

Good news is that if we figure this out, you could add this packet to the multicast discovery in the plugin and people won't need to do any hardware or cable mods to kick it into gear!

We will update as we learn more...

BTW - this is going on our unmanned surface vessel, fun project!

Chandler
iSENSYS.com
LoopZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 12:46   #630

Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released - Garmin Fantom 18 - Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopZilla View Post
Hey,

It is indeed a 'wake on LAN' type of thing. We actually removed pins 4,5,7,8 (the blue and browns) from the RJ45 and the radar still wakes up the instant we plug it into the chart plotter. So it is definitely an IP packet.

We are trying wake on LAN, and have sniffed the ports with wireshark to try to find the actual packet being sent to wake it up. Interesting enough, there is also a packet to shut it back down (normally sent when you power down the chart plotter).

Trouble is, we attempt to send a packet, but the multicast seems to strip it out. Not sure if it is a Windows firewall or dynamic multicast port thing, but we are working through it. We think we know the packet (if it isn't a simple wake on LAN), but can't see it arrive in the switch the radar is connect to.

Anyone know more about multicast and how to send this packet?

Good news is that if we figure this out, you could add this packet to the multicast discovery in the plugin and people won't need to do any hardware or cable mods to kick it into gear!

We will update as we learn more...

BTW - this is going on our unmanned surface vessel, fun project!

Chandler

iSENSYS.com

As far as I understand wake on lan is a feature of a network card. If you can find out make model chipset of the lan card in the radar, then it might be in the vendor documentation of the network card. multicast on a single lan is basically broadcast. If you have some Linux box on the same lan as radar you should be able to send wake on lan packet from that Linux box. There is wakeonlan package.

it just has to reach that network card.
I think it doesn’t even analyze tcp/ip layer. So it doesn’t care about port, etc.
it looks just at lower Ethernet layer headers.
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar

« OpenCPN General | - »