Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 06:42   #1

Boat: Ovni 385
Radar plugin 5.3.0-beta released

The betacatalog now contains a new beta release for the radar plugin, version 5.3.0-beta.

To test this release: if you are using the production version, go to Options / Plugins, switch back to the beta catalog, update it, and then upgrade the plugin.

Functional changes since 5.2.1, the previous production release:
  • Add support for Raymarine Quantum and Quantum 2 radars
  • Corrections on True Trails for all radars
  • Stability improvements
The Raymarine Quantum radars can be selected from the Radar Selection window. The Quantum radar may be connected directly to the OpenCPN system through WiFi or through a Raymarine MFD on Raynet.
Test the Quantum (2) Radar if you have one. Our testing has been limited due to the fact we had only access to a few radars. Please report your findings. The Doppler functionality of the Quantum 2 is not yet implemented. To implement these Doppler functions we need a Wireshark recording (.pcapng file) of a session with a Doppler target visible, together with a picture of a Raymarine MFD showing this Doppler target. With this data we hope to identify the target and decode the last secrets.

Special thanks for this release to our testers Al Grant in New Zealand and John Cavanagh in the UK, satisfying all my requests may have been pretty boring now and then.
Also thanks to Andrei Bankovs for his indispensable help in solving and coding the remaining mysteries of this radar.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:17   #2

Re: Radar plugin 5.3.0-beta released

An example image of the Quantum radar in OpenCPN is attached.
You will notice that the radar targets do have rather sharp corners. On Raymarine displays the corners are nicely rounded off. Cause of these rugged targets is the low image resolution of these Quantum radars. Where most radars that we implemented have 2048 spokes per revolution and 1024 pixels per spoke, the Raymarine Quantum builds the image with 250 spokes of maximum 252 pixels. But be aware that this does not automatically mean that the radar has a lower resolution, though the image resolution may limit the radar resolution.

For comparison also attached the (upper part of) same radar image from the Axiom MFD.

Douwe Fokkema
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar_pi image.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	249574   Click image for larger version

Name:	axiom image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	249575  

Old 20-12-2021, 07:19   #3

Boat: Moody 47

Excellent work and trying to get this to work as for some reason I can not get my computer to connect to the Quantum 2 radar via WIFI (keeps saying authentication error).

Running OPEN CPN latest release and radar 5.3

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 08:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Excellent work and trying to get this to work as for some reason I can not get my computer to connect to the Quantum 2 radar via WIFI (keeps saying authentication error).

Running OPEN CPN latest release and radar 5.3

DTD
Are you using the right WiFi password, the radar has its own WiFi with password, different from the WiFi of the MFD. May be the radar installation documentation has a clue.
Douwe
Old 20-12-2021, 09:09   #5

Boat: Moody 47

Yes tried that but will keep playing with it to see
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 23:54   #6

Boat: Marztcraft 46

Hi, l am trying to get a Raymarine Quantum2 (Q24D) Radar to display on OPEN CPN, l have had previously a Navico 3G working, but now lam on a different boat.
The RMradar is new and has not been powered up before and l currently don't have a MFD.
I have tried CPN v 5.2.4 +6b314e6 with radar pi 5.3 beta, as well as CPN 5.6.0. with both boxes ticked to enable plugin and "Raymarine Quantum" selected as Radar type.
I tried WIFI "Quantum_W3_0500730 very poor signal strength and "Quantum_0500730" full strength WIFI, but it wouldn't connect after putting in the radar password, error, "cant connect to this network".
My Ethernet IPV4 (connected by a diy cable between the Raynet via cat5 and a rj45) is showing No Internet (so it has seen a network) and l have windows 10 firewalls (Domain, Private, Public) turned off.
The radar is trying to initializing, without any luck.
Connection 10 pin RayNet pin - rj45 pin
1 - 3
2 - 6
5 - 1
6 - 2
I have tried 172.16.1.1 mask 255.255.0.0. (and 255.0.0.0) packets sent, but nothing returned.
So any help greatly appreciated, IP address l should be using?.
Regards
MCY46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 01:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCY46 View Post
Hi, l am trying to get a Raymarine Quantum2 (Q24D) Radar to display on OPEN CPN,
My Ethernet IPV4 (connected by a diy cable between the Raynet via cat5 and a rj45) is showing No Internet (so it has seen a network) and l have windows 10 firewalls (Domain, Private, Public) turned off.
The radar is trying to initializing, without any luck.
Connection 10 pin RayNet pin - rj45 pin
1 - 3
2 - 6
5 - 1
6 - 2
I have tried 172.16.1.1 mask 255.255.0.0. (and 255.0.0.0) packets sent, but nothing returned.
So any help greatly appreciated, IP address l should be using?.
Regards
Best would be if you install Wireshark (network logger) on your Windows machine. Select the interface, log for a while and get me the log file, a .pcapng. From this logging one can see if there is a radar connected, find the IP address of the radar, if the radar sends any data. Also have OpenCPN active while logging.

Douwe.
Old 15-03-2022, 13:09   #8

Hi Douwe, please find attached wireshark log, l don't think much is going on, also the screen shot showing CPN. Looking forward to any help.
Not sure how to send a .pcapng so its in PDF form.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quantum2 screen shot.pdf (153.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf quantum2 wireshark log.pdf (175.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 17-03-2022, 12:59   #9

NOW WORKING.
Douwe was able to see in the log that it looked like the radar was on the network, but was looking for a DHCP connection. This is commonly incorporated with a router, which the Raymarine MFD has internally and he suggested l get a router with DHCP to connect to the radar and my PC.
I then found some software that enables DHCP on the PC networks.
Not sure why, but l needed to start the software twice before l saw the "network status" show packets returning, not just being sent.
l now have Raymarine Quantum 2 radar, directly connected via a DIY cable connected to the radar hard wire cable to my laptop, NO MFD required.
So far the only minor issue l have found is the NM/meter range option isn't working, the radar range is only displayed in nautical miles.

I haven't been able to connect radar to PC via WiFi, but currently l don't need it.
Also looks like the software is a service but doesn't seem to work without manually starting it. Maybe the later software which l will get after giving a donation works better.

Software available in below link, l am using the free version V2.5.2 and another link which is for a pictorial on using the software.

https://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/history-of-release-notes/

htthttps://support.atlona.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001288894-KB01257-How-to-turn-your-computer-Windows-into-a-DHCP-server-to-give-your-Atlona-unit-an-IP-addressp://www.dhcpserver.de/

Thanks to Douwe for his assistance.
Old 17-03-2022, 22:54   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

This isn't new to the 5.3 beta release, but I just upgraded, and am still having this problem.

I had my Garmin XHD working with OpenCPN installed on a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian, but when I switched over to OpenPlotter, it seems like the transmit function doesn't have any effect. I don't hear the radar spin up, and the screen just shows "standby". Powering off and on the radar will get me the 60-second warm up screen, but again, can't transmit.

The log doesn't appear to elucidate anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radarpi_issue.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	254576  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 23:31   #11

Boat: Westsail 32

Ah I figured it out.

I think it was the netmask. I had it as /20 (255.255.240.0) originally, but when the GUI said it was search for the radar, it said it was searching on 172.16/12 (255.240.0.0) so I switched the ethernet configuration to 172.16.1.1./12.

Switching back to 172.16.1.1/20 allowed me to transmit and interface once again.

Maybe the GUI needs to be updated to display searching for 172.16/20?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 11:34   #12

Boat: Moody 44

Thanks for this.

We have just bought a boat with Raymarine electronics including a Quantum RADAR.

The RADAR was installed wirelessly together with a Hybrid touch plotter.

The plotter creates a hot spot and I have connected my Windows OpenCPN to this hot spot.

The RADAR seems to function correctly using this plug-in. I'm new to RADAR and we haven't yet left the dock so this isn't a full test.

When RADAR settings are made in OC, the HybridTouch plotter mirrors them (including) chart scaling when the range is changed. I like this.

When changes are made on the HybridTouch, OC overrides them. Which is fine with me.

John
JohnGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 18:02   #13

Hi John, could you please give more info regarding the Hybrid touch screen you are using, as l wouldn't mind something in the cockpit and would rather not pay for a Raymarine Axiom.
Cheers kevin
Old 23-03-2022, 23:23   #14

Boat: Moody 44

Hi Kevin,

I won't be visiting the boat for a couple of weeks.

If I find some paper work from the previous owner before then, I'll let you know which model it is.

John
JohnGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 13:36   #15

cheers John

Tags
lease, plug, plugin, radar