Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 22:37   #106

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Radar plugin 5.2.1 released

I've been struggling to get this installed on an older Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 -- which maybe is a little out of date.

I've tried installing it by downloading the .pkg files, as well as with the Plugin Manager catalog. However, with the latter, I can only get it to show up if I switch the flavor of OS to filter to darwin:10.13.6.

I can then "install" it, and it tells me it was successfully installed, but I'm unable to access the plugin, and the "preferences" button is greyed out, whether it's enabled or not. Moreover, when I restart OpenCPN, the plugin is missing. If I try to install it again, it will install it from cache, and I'm back at step one, unable to do anything with the plugin.

Is this a lost cause on my device?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.23.19 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	253007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.26.13 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	253008  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.25.35 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	253009  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 02:21   #107
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

What does the OpenCPN log file say?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 07:00   #108

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I've been struggling to get this installed on an older Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 -- which maybe is a little out of date.

I've tried installing it by downloading the .pkg files, as well as with the Plugin Manager catalog. However, with the latter, I can only get it to show up if I switch the flavor of OS to filter to darwin:10.13.6.

I can then "install" it, and it tells me it was successfully installed, but I'm unable to access the plugin, and the "preferences" button is greyed out, whether it's enabled or not. Moreover, when I restart OpenCPN, the plugin is missing. If I try to install it again, it will install it from cache, and I'm back at step one, unable to do anything with the plugin.

Is this a lost cause on my device?

Have you activated OpenGL in OpenCPN?
Goto Options->Display->Advanced and tick "Use accelerated graphics"
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 09:28   #109

Yup, I have OpenGL enabled.

I found this in the log file though:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.25.30 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	253020  
Old 17-02-2022, 13:42   #110

Boat: Najad 34

Franziska..
An answer to this post:

A low budget, low power radar scanner would be a used Navico (Simrad/Lowrance/B&G) 3G or 4G. (Halo may be better but costs). A Garmin HD/xHD will also work but I've no experiences of these.
Sometimes can a 3G or 4G now be on sale. (For long distant squalls a 4G may be preferable)
If you look for a new try to convince the dealer you need a spare part scanner/antenna only. They don't understand why you should buy one without a MFD/plotter. And normally no idea to talk about OpenCPN.

If you want to have the radar picture as chart overlay an electronic compass is a must. An old fashion NMEA0183 to OCPN is good enough. Without a heading the only reliable alternative is the PPI Window i.e. the radar window showing only the radar picture head up.

You may want to learn more here: https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/main/radar/0.1/index.html
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 14:38   #111

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Oh man [emoji849] this time the web got me [emoji846]

But maybe it helps some others as well. Thank you!

I'll look into your thorough reply tomorrow.
Thanks so much!!
Old 18-02-2022, 04:59   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Franziska..
An answer to this post:

A low budget, low power radar scanner would be a used Navico (Simrad/Lowrance/B&G) 3G or 4G. (Halo may be better but costs). A Garmin HD/xHD will also work but I've no experiences of these.
Sometimes can a 3G or 4G now be on sale. (For long distant squalls a 4G may be preferable)
If you look for a new try to convince the dealer you need a spare part scanner/antenna only. They don't understand why you should buy one without a MFD/plotter. And normally no idea to talk about OpenCPN.

If you want to have the radar picture as chart overlay an electronic compass is a must. An old fashion NMEA0183 to OCPN is good enough. Without a heading the only reliable alternative is the PPI Window i.e. the radar window showing only the radar picture head up.

You may want to learn more here: https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/main/radar/0.1/index.html
Good luck
Håkan
Hi Hakan,

unfortunately I'm still confused as what to get.

I understand that Garmin & Raymarine are not yet quite as well supported by the plugin, so I give those a miss even though they seem to be better priced. https://www.garmin.com/de-DE/p/55688...01719-00#specs

So far I understand that B&G, Lowrance & Simrad all belong to Navico and as such use the same technology.
Does it matter which of the brands I choose? We have no equipment so far of either of those brands.
Are there quality differences? The prices seem to be almost identical.
So do I choose by the looks of the Radome ;-) ??

The cheapest I have seen was a Lowrance Halo 20 for 2199€, is that a good price?
24nm range should be enough for us to track squalls early enough to avoid them or reef well ahead.

The other question how to connect the radome to the PC.
Do I use a standard Ethernet cable or do I need to use proprietary cables?

Regarding the NMEA 0183 compass sensor can recommend a specific low cost model I could try to find?
We have some older Raymarine instruments, so classic Seatalk compatability is probably a plus.

Thanks again, Franziska
Old 18-02-2022, 06:55   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I understand that Garmin & Raymarine are not yet quite as well supported by the plugin,
Garmin HD and xHD are well supported. Raymarine still somewhat experimental.
Quote:
So far I understand that B&G, Lowrance & Simrad all belong to Navico and as such use the same technology.
Does it matter which of the brands I choose? We have no equipment so far of either of those brands.
All three are Navico but with different labels on the shelf. Nothing else. Some also share the same manuals.
Quote:
The cheapest I have seen was a Lowrance Halo 20 for 2199€, is that a good price?
I'm sorry haven't followed prizes so that I don't know. But Halo 20 is a very good choice
Quote:
The other question how to connect the radome to the PC.
Do I use a standard Ethernet cable or do I need to use proprietary cables?
Standard Ethernet and power is fine. See the radar manual for details.
Quote:
Regarding the NMEA 0183 compass sensor can recommend a specific low cost model I could try to find?
We have some older Raymarine instruments, so classic Seatalk compatability is probably a plus.
No specific model in my mind. Whatever you can find that's NMEA0183 will be easy. N2K may fit in the connection box often delivered with radar scanner. Again, read the radar manual.
Old 18-02-2022, 07:24   #114

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Franziska
As an example, we are using our very very old Raytheon ST3000 Wheel Pilot + Nmea0183 Fluxgate Compass to overlay and the overlay is jerky as you turn, but it works fine. We have a B&G 4G which goes a little bit further. They are excellent and sip power compared to our previous radar, but they do not show weather fronts quite as well. We much prefer it to our previous radar.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 08:48   #115

Boat: Amel Sharki

@Franziska
The Navico 4G is not offered anymore. You can find one perhaps at a reseller or offered by sites like ebay. Here is one in France:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_...2104842887.htm
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 12:49   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Garmin HD and xHD are well supported. Raymarine still somewhat experimental.
All three are Navico but with different labels on the shelf. Nothing else. Some also share the same manuals. I'm sorry haven't followed prizes so that I don't know. But Halo 20 is a very good choice Standard Ethernet and power is fine. See the radar manual for details.
No specific model in my mind. Whatever you can find that's NMEA0183 will be easy. N2K may fit in the connection box often delivered with radar scanner. Again, read the radar manual.
Thanks to you and the others! Appreciate it.

Regarding the Garmin xHD and HD, would that be suitable as well? I'm a bit irritated by the GMR comment on the plugin website.

https://www.svb.de/de/garmin-radaran...rice=1000-2000

Costs considerably less, has a much higher range than the Halo 20, but says no Doppler function in the description.
That means no Doppler function when used with the plugin too, correct?

Regarding squall tracking, this Garmin xHD or the Halo 20?
Do you think we will regret not spending the 500€ more for the Halo?
Budget has me lean towards the Garmin.
Old 18-02-2022, 13:42   #117

Franziska..

Since I've used only Navico I can't judge.
The Doppler function is dependent of the radar scanner, so Halo only. The (M)Arpa function is though not scanner dependent. It's created by the radar plugin.
Personally I can't say I'm troubled by the lack of Doppler.

For a Garmin there are somewhat more connection details than for a Navico. See the manual for the special cable connections of pin 5 in the RJ45 plug. Not to scare you, just to be mentioned.
Others here can possible forward Garmin experiences.
Old 18-02-2022, 13:57   #118

Thank you once more. Have a nice evening.

Appreciate if someone shares their Garmin experience.

As mentioned I am hesitant due to the GMR comment on the plug in site. But at the same time it it says xHD supported...

Splicing a cable should be possible for us, if given the right instructions and if it's only involving a bit of soldering or crimping.

What do the others think is more important, Doppler or longer range when in a pinch?
Old 18-02-2022, 22:25   #119

I recently purchased a Garmin GMR xHD and it does indeed work with OpenCPN.

I don't know if all the features work or not though, as I haven't played with it too much. One thing I did notice is that it seems to only recognize the radar when I select "HD" in the radar selection menu, rather than "xHD". But maybe that's unrelated.

The grounding of the pin 5 (or hooking a switch up to it to ground) on the ethernet cable is no big deal.
Old 19-02-2022, 00:17   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I recently purchased a Garmin GMR xHD and it does indeed work with OpenCPN.

I don't know if all the features work or not though, as I haven't played with it too much. One thing I did notice is that it seems to only recognize the radar when I select "HD" in the radar selection menu, rather than "xHD". But maybe that's unrelated.

The grounding of the pin 5 (or hooking a switch up to it to ground) on the ethernet cable is no big deal.
Thank Ryban.

Let's hope that the developers will manage to fix xHD mode eventually, so that the GMR note might possibly come down eventually?

Why is there this GMR note on the plug in note?

I'm grateful we have so knowledgeable people around us who can create these plug-ins and even OpenCPN from scratch. Very impressive.

Btw. does Doppler make it easier to see if a storm is approaching/getting closer by night?
Still trying to decide if to better get the Doppler Halo 20 (24NM)or the longer range (48NM) non Doppler and cheaper Garmin GMR xHD.

Tags
lease, plug, plugin, radar