Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 18:05   #16

Re: Radar NMEA messages

Well, 2 years later and I now have a radar and some marpa sentences to test with. Unfortunately these sentences crashes OCPN 4.0.0 on windows XP (tested 2 different machines):

$RATLL,01,5812.6870,N,01131.9502,E,1 (Broadband 4G - 2782 B),134601,T,*5F
$RATTM,01,0.48,263.6,T,0.0,2.9,T,0.48,,N,1 (Broadband 4G - 2782 B),T,,134601,M*51

The full log file can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqgbkv04u0...alog1.txt?dl=0
(up to 4 marpa targets at the same time)

And a screenshot from the Simrad NSE that produces the sentences:

Would be great to get this working in OCPN...

BR /MArcus
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:13   #17

And btw, Pavel, can we please, please change the symbol to a more S52-compliant (blue-green, no black lines, no fill). The current symbols (also AIS) cover up everything under them, including the radar echoes...

BR /Marcus
Old 27-07-2015, 18:41   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

Marcus...
It took time, but better late than never Thanks for the data, really helpful. Does it crash when you play it using VDR or just when they come live?
FWIW I can't make O crash (using the very latest, yet unreleased, master code, playing your file with VDR at the maximum possible speed), but certainly there is room for improvement in a way we handle these targets, especially avoid the tracking jump when you select another object to be tracked and improve the track smoothing.
The visual representation was chosen to be consistent with our AIS implementation - sure can be changed, but I'm a bit afraid that too many people prefer the current obvious color coding, although completely non-Ecdis... Anyway, I have some idea here.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Marcus...
It took time, but better late than never Thanks for the data, really helpful. Does it crash when you play it using VDR or just when they come live?
Both. Crashes when connected by TCP to the NSE. Crashes when I play the main file. Crashes if I just put any of the 2 sentences I copied in a single-line file and play it with VDR.

Quote:
FWIW I can't make O crash (using the very latest, yet unreleased, master code, playing your file with VDR at the maximum possible speed), but certainly there is room for improvement in a way we handle these targets, especially avoid the tracking jump when you select another object to be tracked and improve the track smoothing.
Well, that's good news. So you get the targets on the chart similar to the NSE screenshot I posted? I'm feeling left out here because I can't see anything....

Quote:
The visual representation was chosen to be consistent with our AIS implementation - sure can be changed, but I'm a bit afraid that too many people prefer the current obvious color coding, although completely non-Ecdis... Anyway, I have some idea here.
Well, they aren't given the choice.... Not many people have seen and experienced a S52-compliant display including AIS and ownship, since very few systems geared towards non-commercial use has implemented it, instead all using their own different proprietary symbols. But after having used compliant systems for almost 10 years now I just can't go back, I'm fully convinced S52 is superior. This is probably food for another thread but I will start re-coding AIS targets to compliant presentation for my own use and maybe in the future there could be a selection between "compliant" and "proprietary"... I also would like to implement sleeping AIS target symbols for de-cluttering but thats also another can of worms...

BR /Marcus
Old 27-07-2015, 19:22   #20

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipraiser View Post
Both. Crashes when connected by TCP to the NSE. Crashes when I play the main file. Crashes if I just put any of the 2 sentences I copied in a single-line file and play it with VDR.

Well, that's good news. So you get the targets on the chart similar to the NSE screenshot I posted? I'm feeling left out here because I can't see anything....
Yes, see the screenshot attached. I will keep trying to kill it next time I'm doing something on windows though. As from bellow it seems like you are able to build from source, you may try the latest code as well and if it still crashes for you, to catch the exact spot where it does so with the debugger...
Quote:
Well, they aren't given the choice.... Not many people have seen and experienced a S52-compliant display including AIS and ownship, since very few systems geared towards non-commercial use has implemented it, instead all using their own different proprietary symbols. But after having used compliant systems for almost 10 years now I just can't go back, I'm fully convinced S52 is superior. This is probably food for another thread but I will start re-coding AIS targets to compliant presentation for my own use and maybe in the future there could be a selection between "compliant" and "proprietary"... I also would like to implement sleeping AIS target symbols for de-cluttering but thats also another can of worms...
Giving the user a choice certainly is the way I would like to do it, can't run that fast anymore

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-07-27 21-14-38.png
Views:	244
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	106209  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, radar