Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 05:46   #1

Race timer?

Hello, I'm very new to OpenCPN and have looked around a bit online to see if there was a race timer feature with the countdown sequence and stopwatch?
Many thanks
UserError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 07:13   #2

Re: Race timer?

Hi, DashT Race Start has one, small digits among other startline functions, though.
Canne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:36   #3

There is also the Race Start Display plugin if you would prefer a simple countdown timer.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 01:20   #4

In my opinion The Race Start Display is not useful at the current state of development. Dont get me wrong, what is there works but would not consider using it in a regatta.
Things missing
- sync of count down timer to last full minute
- resetting/correcting Port and Starboard location and showing them within Ocpn
- regatta clock: meaning show time and when start sequence has expired continue showing lapsed race time

Finally - this race start time pi would be most useful if run on a mobile device and connected to ocpn on the navi desk. Have tried VNC on mobile phone connected to ocpn on raspi without joy. Would vote for a dedicated app communicating with ocpn rather than a plugin.
My2cent
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 06:31   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Note: I have added pi - RaceTimer, pi - TwoCan and pi - DashT to tracker.
Are there any other requests?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 18:47   #6

skipperearly, thanks for the feedback. Features that could be considered for a future release (or incorporated into the Dashboard Tactics plugin)
Quote:
In my opinion The Race Start Display is not useful at the current state of development. Dont get me wrong, what is there works but would not consider using it in a regatta
The Race Start Display was initially designed for friends who were new to sailing & racing where I thought "simple" countdown timer would be of assistance to them. It was never intended for real racing where one would expect additional features such as determining the favoured end etc.
Quote:
sync of count down timer to last full minute
Do you want additional buttons for 4' and 1' guns ?
Quote:
resetting/correcting Port and Starboard location and showing them within Ocpn
OK, could implement, but on the other hand why not just close and reopen the dialog ? I personally have never encountered a situation where the start line is moved during the 5' start sequence. BTW the port & starboard ends are "dropped" onto the chart as temporary marks. not sure what you mean by "showing them within OpenCPN" ?
Quote:
regatta clock: meaning show time and when start sequence has expired continue showing lapsed race time
OK, easy to do. At present I think the countdown timer continues to run and probably displays a negative value for the elapsed time.
Quote:
Finally - this race start time pi would be most useful if run on a mobile device and connected to ocpn on the navi desk. Have tried VNC on mobile phone connected to ocpn on raspi without joy. Would vote for a dedicated app communicating with ocpn rather than a plugin.
As the code is open source, feel free to dissect it and port to your favourite mobile platform. It ain't rocket science. And as most mobile device incorporate a GPS and can obtain their own position fix, a standalone app need not have any dependencies or connections to OpenCPN.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Do you want additional buttons for 4' and 1' guns ?

No - please not more buttons - just on clicking on synch the time gets synchronized to the next full minute e,g, 4:53 to 5:00, 3:25 to 3:00 etc

OK, could implement, but on the other hand why not just close and reopen the dialog ? I personally have never encountered a situation where the start line is moved during the 5' start sequence.

Its not that the startline is moved but your recording gets improved while you circle in the start area! - During the start sequence clicking unneccessary buttons should be discouraged.

BTW the port & starboard ends are "dropped" onto the chart as temporary marks. not sure what you mean by "showing them within OpenCPN" ?

Got it, sorry did not see as Dialog was in front of map.
Why are they temporary and not just marks?

OK, easy to do. At present I think the countdown timer continues to run and probably displays a negative value for the elapsed time.
As the code is open source, feel free to dissect it and port to your favourite mobile platform. It ain't rocket science. And as most mobile device incorporate a GPS and can obtain their own position fix, a standalone app need not have any dependencies or connections to OpenCPN.
I bet you are correct but to lift your code and move it on a mobile platform this is beyond my skill level.
Have used extensively iRegatta on my iPad in the past and liked their interface very much as it was developed by experienced racers. Unfortunately the developer has gone very commercial in the meantime.
Calculations on favourable startline position are nice to haves but mostly essential for match races. For fleet starts the position battle is mostly obvious but the speed timing can get helped by technology. (This is just my personal opinion - others may disagree)

Last comment on integration mobile app with ocpn: Mob app is operated in the cockpit or even at the bow but ocpn on the nav station. So synchronisation of startline properties would be helpful - but I agree is not essential.

Sorry to be elaborate but try to be supportive
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race