Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 15:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida
Quality of NOAA Raster Charts in Bahamas

I've been following and charting a fellow sailor from their departure from Kemah, Texas to their current location in the Bahamas. Throughout the gulf coast and into the Keys I was very pleased with the quality of the Raster Charts I downloaded for use with OpenCpn. However, as I chart them throughout the Bahamas I'm not getting very detailed charts. In their log they refer to Seaclear and how awesome the charts are. They travel often at night, throughout the Bahamas, relying on the charts. They even mention how well certain reefs and shoals are marked.

Please don't get me wrong as I am very appreciative and amazed at the work of the OpenCpn group. I also have assumed that Seaclear uses the same charts as OpenCpn.

Therefore, are there more detailed charts of the Bahamas that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Greg
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 17:40   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
Therefore, are there more detailed charts of the Bahamas that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Greg
Yes. NOAA is a US agency that provides charts for US coastal waters. Because the Bahamas are so close to Florida parts of the Bahamas are charted in some of NOAA's smaller scale charts. If you want more detailed carts of the Bahamas you need to turn to other sources. As far as I know there are no Bahamian charts that can be freely downloaded.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida
Fabbian,

I appreciate your input very much. If you or anyone can direct me towards such detailed charts that work with OpenCpn in the Bahamas it would be very appreciated.

Greg
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:34   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The charts for the Bahamas are made by "Explorer Charts" and are available in both paper format and electronic format that can be displayed and used on SeaClear (for sure) and most likely also on OpenCpn. You just need to find the older versions that are not locked. Likewise the Steve Pavlidis guidebook sketch charts have been digitized for nearly a decade and are usable on both systems.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 20:43   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
Please don't get me wrong as I am very appreciative and amazed at the work of the OpenCpn group. I also have assumed that Seaclear uses the same charts as OpenCpn.

Greg
SeaClear only handles raster charts. OpenCPN handles all the raster charts SeaClear handles but also handles vector charts. In other words, OpenCPN reads everything SeaClear can read but SeaClear doesn't read everything OpenCPN can read. NOAA explains the Differences Between RNCs and ENCs here.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 04:21   #6

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: Quality of NOAA Raster Charts in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The charts for the Bahamas are made by "Explorer Charts" and are available in both paper format and electronic format that can be displayed and used on SeaClear (for sure) and most likely also on OpenCpn. You just need to find the older versions that are not locked. Likewise the Steve Pavlidis guidebook sketch charts have been digitized for nearly a decade and are usable on both systems.
Can anyone point me to a source for the Explorer charts of the Bahamas? I wish to access them from OpenCPN. Thanks
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 05:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Can anyone point me to a source for the Explorer charts of the Bahamas? I wish to access them from OpenCPN. Thanks
Pete
The first digital versions of the Bahamas Explorer charts were done by Maptech/BSB about a decade ago. Those are available by chart swaps and trading.
- - I have not been able to find any reference to where they may be available today in digital format and what company is doing this. I get the feeling that Garmin bought the rights to the digital Explorer Charts but have no confirmation of that and cannot find anything on the web.
- - The paper versions, which come in 3 books, are up-to-date and are available from chart stores or directly from Explorer Charts:
Welcome to Explorer Chartbooks
- - You might communicate with them directly to find out who is licensed to produce digital versions of their charts.
Old 27-03-2011, 05:41   #8

Quote:
The first digital versions of the Bahamas Explorer charts were done by Maptech/BSB about a decade ago. Those are available by chart swaps and trading.
- - I have not been able to find any reference to where they may be available today in digital format and what company is doing this. I get the feeling that Garmin bought the rights to the digital Explorer Charts but have no confirmation of that and cannot find anything on the web.
- - The paper versions, which come in 3 books, are up-to-date and are available from chart stores or directly from Explorer Charts:
Welcome to Explorer Chartbooks
- - You might communicate with them directly to find out who is licensed to produce digital versions of their charts.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'll try contacting them directly. In the meantime, anyone willing to sell a copy of the original Maptech/BSB Explorer charts referenced above?
Pete
Old 27-03-2011, 06:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'll try contacting them directly. In the meantime, anyone willing to sell a copy of the original Maptech/BSB Explorer charts referenced above?
Pete
Be warned "selling" a copy of copyrighted material is illegal unless you have a license/permission from the holder of the copyright. Depending upon where you are in the world copyrights are good for up to 95 years. If money is going to be exchanged then the owner of the copyright has a legal right to their share of that money.
Old 27-03-2011, 07:58   #10

Quote:
Be warned "selling" a copy of copyrighted material is illegal unless you have a license/permission from the holder of the copyright. Depending upon where you are in the world copyrights are good for up to 95 years. If money is going to be exchanged then the owner of the copyright has a legal right to their share of that money.
We're happy to purchase from the rightful owner if we can find it for sale.
Prete

Tags
Bahamas, charts, bahamas