Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 01:20   #1

Problem installation and running on Mac OS 10.9

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Problem with OpenCPN installation on a Mac (OS 10.9.4). It is listed in the Applications folder. I downloaded the file and opened it. Loaded charts and it seemed to be working. However, every time I shut down the computer and then start it again and try to open the program OpenCPN I get an error message “The alias “OpenCPN_4.0.0” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.”

I have to download the program again and then open it. The same problem keeps happening every time I shut down.

What is going on?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill5928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 03:33   #2

Re: Problem installation and running on Mac OS 10.9

Bill,

Did you rename the OpenCPN application?
You could get problems with plugins if you did that. Leave it called OpenCPN.app

Do you start it from the Applications directory or from an alias at the Desktop?
If from the Desktop, rightclick and select "Get Info" on the icon and look at the "Original" link and check if this point to the correct OpenCPN.app in the Application folder.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill5928 View Post
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Problem with OpenCPN installation on a Mac (OS 10.9.4). It is listed in the Applications folder. I downloaded the file and opened it. Loaded charts and it seemed to be working. However, every time I shut down the computer and then start it again and try to open the program OpenCPN I get an error message “The alias “OpenCPN_4.0.0” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.”

I have to download the program again and then open it. The same problem keeps happening every time I shut down.

What is going on?

Thanks,
Bill
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 09:39   #3

Hi Peter

I open OpenCPN directly from applications. There are no plugins added. I imported charts for New Zealand. It seems to work fine until I shut down the computer and then the program will not start and gets the error message that I mentioned in previous post.

I would then have to download it again and start it again. It would then pick up where I left off on the NZ charts.

This would happen every time I shut the computer down.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 22-01-2015, 09:59   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

What you are downloading is a dmg file. Often Mac software is distributed this way rather than as an installer. Once downloaded you open this dmg file in Finder and drag the contents called OpenCPN.app to the application folder and not the dmg file!!!
Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:21   #5

Hi Gerhard:

Thank you that seemed to work. I thought I had did that before, but what I had dragged into the applications folder was the dmg file. It does work now.

Thank you for your assistance.

Bill

Tags
installation