Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2023, 08:07   #586

Boat: Contest 38s
Re: Plugin: DashBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Speed through water and Speed over ground are different values with different meanings. By definition, log is distance through the water. While a GPS can display or calculate the speed over ground or distance over ground traveled, but it cannot generate a log or sum log.

Of course speed/distance over ground and over water are two different things. I mean GPS distance = over ground, from the beginning. The same as GPS-speed is over ground. In newer yachts you don't even have the traditional, mechanical log (the device) that counts speed/distance over water...
Alicja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 08:11   #587
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

That's exactly what the odometer plug-in does.

The other option is Nohal's one: enable "track" and with mouse over you will have the the accumumated distance at this point. Plus the hour when you passed there.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 09:26   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
That's exactly what the odometer plug-in does.

I've installed it, but see no options to be configured. This means it simply starts working when I start moving and needs no configuration?
Old 27-02-2023, 13:10   #589

Boat: Najad 34

Info:
https://www.opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plug...sodometer.html

and manual:
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ter/index.html
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 14:59   #590

Quote:
You mean that openCPN cannot work separately on the boat, as the only chartplotter (without another chartplotter)?
I didn't say nor infer that. OpenCPN functions perfectly well as the only chartplotter on board.

Quote:
It translates GPS data and put them to the Dashboard, or is a separate plugin in a separate window?[
GPS Odometer is a separate plugin with its own UI and options for resetting the trip log. Others and myself have provided links to the GPS Odometer manual.

Quote:
I don't imagine any chartplotter generates the log and sum log data, either 2000 or 0183. By definition, the data is through water, and AFAIK all speed though water knot meters will generate it as part of their function.
Incorrect. Most speed logs have no mechanism to measure time so they are incapable of calculating the distance travelled. For example if you refer to the manual for the speed log that is installed on my vessel, a Garmin GST 43, you will note that it does not generate PGN 128275.

As I stated before, some chartplotters and instrument displays do calculate sum and trip logs and others do not. Those that do may be configured to use distance travelled through water (obtained from a speed log) or distance travelled over ground (from GPS position data).

OpenCPN, on its own does not calculate sum and trip logs. The Dashboard only displays sum and trip log data for distances travelled through the water from data generated by other devices.

On the other hand the GPS Odometer plugin does calculate and display sum and trip logs derived from GPS Poosition data.

Note for Lennart (developer for GPS Odometer), perhaps add a "PushNMEASentence" API call with a generated VLW sentence, so that the Dashboard plugin may consume trip and um log data from your plugin ?
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 15:47   #591

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
I didn't say nor infer that. OpenCPN functions perfectly well as the only chartplotter on board.

GPS Odometer is a separate plugin with its own UI and options for resetting the trip log. Others and myself have provided links to the GPS Odometer manual.

Incorrect. Most speed logs have no mechanism to measure time so they are incapable of calculating the distance travelled. For example if you refer to the manual for the speed log that is installed on my vessel, a Garmin GST 43, you will note that it does not generate PGN 128275.

As I stated before, some chartplotters and instrument displays do calculate sum and trip logs and others do not. Those that do may be configured to use distance travelled through water (obtained from a speed log) or distance travelled over ground (from GPS position data).

OpenCPN, on its own does not calculate sum and trip logs. The Dashboard only displays sum and trip log data for distances travelled through the water from data generated by other devices.

On the other hand the GPS Odometer plugin does calculate and display sum and trip logs derived from GPS Poosition data.

Note for Lennart (developer for GPS Odometer), perhaps add a "PushNMEASentence" API call with a generated VLW sentence, so that the Dashboard plugin may consume trip and um log data from your plugin ?
This is quite interesting that a garmin speed log doesn't generate a PGN for distance log. My raymarine i50 does. It did it and displayed it when it was the only instrument on the boat. Distance traveled doesn't need to know the time. The log measures it directly (IE, every tick from the paddle wheel = a small distance. Just add them up)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:32   #592

Thank you everybody! The Odometer plugin is OK and it does exactly what I wanted!
Old 06-04-2023, 00:34   #593

Hello everybody
I tried to find my problem or an answer with the search function. i failed So here is my question:
I have the wind history in the dashboard, installed exactly as in the manual. And works perfectly.
But why is the wind history a vertical product?
I would like to dock the wind history, top or bottom. This only works if I change it to "horizontal" with a right click. Then I can dock it at the top or bottom. The docking window spans the entire width, but inside the wind information remains very narrow.
I am enclosing a couple of print screens so you can see what I mean.`

Additional question: And it really wouldn't be possible to dock only on the width of the split screen?

Thanks for every help.
f.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splitscreen docked windhistory vertikal.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	273772   Click image for larger version

Name:	splitscreen with undocked windhistory.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	273773  

Name:	splitscreen docked windhistory horizontal.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	273774  
fbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 23:25   #594

fbaud..
I think any answer would be your observations are correct.
The history graph seems meant for vertical view only and is not prepared for a time axis up/down instead. The docking logic is also not prepared to handle that graph in a good way.
Sorry, hope you can live with it as is until someone possible gets inspired and try to program it in another way.
Old 15-05-2023, 04:35   #595

Boat: Young 88 9m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
This is quite interesting that a garmin speed log doesn't generate a PGN for distance log. My raymarine i50 does. It did it and displayed it when it was the only instrument on the boat. Distance traveled doesn't need to know the time. The log measures it directly (IE, every tick from the paddle wheel = a small distance. Just add them up)
mmm I read this and had to reply. So if you're speedo readout sayes 1 knot it means that little paddle wheel is rotating but what if you're boat is not moving forward? Obviously it's tide or current keeping you stationary, the paddle wheel doesn't measure distance. I assume your Raymarine is using GPS to determine position and distance.
Jeremy
Jeremy 5426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 08:03   #596

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

I had not clear how to anchor it, but RTFM I found how to do it.

now I have another question that you should think that is stupid either, Oh! just drag the edges and you could resize it.

well, it doesn't work for me.

I've done two dashboard, one with analogy displays, no problem with it.
and another one separate with digital data display.
But this last I cannot resize in height.
I have it as vertical and exchanged to horizontal and got more or less the desired height after restarting O it comes to "standard" height and no way to adjust by mouse dragging.

#4 is as I want to have
#3 is how every time I restarted O it becomes with no possibility of resize in height by dragging mouse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sshot-4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	276693   Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	276694  

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 03:40   #597

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

Following mine above, regarding the size of the Dashboard found something really strange regarding one situation with Dashboard and Engine Dashboard.

in both of them you can select to display "Rudder angle", well in Dashboard the display is continuous without any issue when available.

same display with Engine Dashboard, response to helm movement correctly at the moment and the indicator comes to 0 continuously, so making nearly imposible the reading of the angle because it's going to its position and resetting to 0 when in the Dashboard presentation the presentation is steady in its true value.

I've seen this behaviour in previous versions and also latest stable one 5.8.4,
Windows 11 (ARM64)

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 04:39   #598

Corsair..
About Dashboard and size of digital displays. The size of these instrument depends on the font size If I remember correct. Try to edit fonts in "Preferences - Appearance".

Engine Dashboard is an external plugin with it's own development. It's not listed in Rick's great "Plugin List" thread so I'm not sure who is working on it.
Old 17-06-2023, 06:00   #599

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Little comment, it would be nice if the dashboard top dimms with color schemes. Either with OpenCPN color schemes, or, at least with the windows color scheme.
It is the only bright white item on the screen staying when color schemes are adjusted to night settings.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-06-2023, 07:06   #600

Franziska..
This is nothing OCPN can control. You've to set the inactive title bar color in Win settings. I've made them light gray to not shine to much on night mode.

One example how to do it on This page