Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 21:27   #1

Boat: Westsail 43 - Cavalo
Please help recover routes and waypoints

I have been using OpenCPN for the last 5 years and 30,000 miles of cruising and have somehow made a booboo. I am using MacOS high sierra and OpenCPN version 4.6.1. When I open the program now I can see the outlines of previously loaded KAP files and the boat on a blank blue screen with ??? icons along the lat. lines. The tool bar is still there but all icons are black squares. I can enter the sub menus by clicking on the black boxes but all widgets, route/waypoint/track info are gone. The charts folders are still there though none of them appear on the main screen. I am wondering if i have fudged up good or can I possibly recover all route and waypoint info before uninstalling and rebooting? Please Help.
Cavalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 21:59   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Please help recover routes and waypoints

OpenCPN keeps backup of the 5 latest versions of your routes, tracks and waypoints. The files holding them are named ~/Library/Preferences/opencpn/navobj.xml.X, where X is 1-5 and the file called navobj.xml is the current version.
You should be able to see and copy them away in Finder by navigating to "Macintosh HD" - Users - <your username> - Library - Preferences - opencpn.
After that I would probably rename ~/Library/Preferences/opencpn to ~/Library/Preferences/opencpn.bak, upgaded to OpenCPN 4.8.8, did my configuration and imported back the backup of the navobj.xml file with the most information (likely = lowest number, biggest size)
If all is good you can remove the backup of the config folder, if not, we may try to troubleshoot it more.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 23:08   #3

Boat: Westsail 43 - Cavalo

AMAZING! Thank you so much for the help nohal, I have done just what you prescribed and all is well, back up and running.

I am still wondering though what might have caused the crash to start with so as not to repeat the offense as we often don't have internet, any ideas???
Cavalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 18:24   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pavel, was quick.... it is also available here in FAQ

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ackups_somehow

and here in the Manual
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._data_backup&s[]=navobjects#navigation_data_backup
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, route