Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 19:29   #1

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
PiPilot build for single handed ops

Evening all,

I'm diving into my first build, planning on a Pi4 with a hat, NEMA sounder the boat already has, Calypso ultrasonic mast head, and the autopilot...

What would the hive recommend for a below deck autopilot for a single handed boat that will be doing lots of up and down the east coast sailing, as in taking 45min nap stuff?

Thanks

NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 19:58   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: PiPilot build for single handed ops

I got Rpi4 with 32G and the Motissie hat. I am having a hard time just understanding what to do with the Open PCN diles as they need to be downloaded into the SDcard. Is not clear if all the files inside the folders need to be transferred into the card outside the folders. So Iam stucked, as I downloaded the 3 separate downloads for open cpn, cpn headless, and Moitessier
All I get so far is the Rpi starting screen and that is it
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think he is asking about the ram or actuator.

My suggestion would be to look at the rams PELAGIC is using in their AP set up.

They are 12vdc units and should be available off the shelf in a wide variety of formats.

I don’t have mine handy but I did look them up online.

They should be pretty inexpensive and proven quality for the task.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B510E67-AE80-4165-B5E1-3A5F7C973AEB.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	209068  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 20:49   #4

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Well that answered my actuator question

Any recommends for the tiller arm,
I dont mind spending money but the edson one is $500 and frankly I just dont see $500 worth of time and materiel in it, any recommends on a better buy, or is it just a suck it up and pay the man?

Thanks
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 21:53   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Well that answered my actuator question

Any recommends for the tiller arm,
I dont mind spending money but the edson one is $500 and frankly I just dont see $500 worth of time and materiel in it, any recommends on a better buy, or is it just a suck it up and pay the man?

Thanks
Not too hard to make a tiller arm for a 30 foot boat. Start with a piece of aluminum, say about one inch thick and about three inches wider than your rudder post. On one end drill two deep holes the tapping size for a pair of bolts to hold the saddle to the tiller arm. Draw a square on one end of the bar and find the center. That is where you will drill the hole for your rudder post. For example if the bar is four inches wide mark for a hole two inches from the end on the center line of the bar. Drill the hole for the rudder post at the point you just marked. Now cut the saddle portion off of the tiller arm by cutting across the bar, bisecting the tiller hole. The thickness of the cutline should be enough to clamp the saddle tight around the rudder post to the tiller arm. Tap the holes for the bolts in the tiller arm and drill out the bolt holes in the saddle to the clearance size of the bolts. Trim the length of the tiller to the desired size and drill the hole for the autopilot drive pin. Optionally you could taper the tiller arm to reduce weight. You are done. Use a washer and a lock washer for the saddle bolts and don't scrimp on the antiseize compound. You don't want those bolts seizing up in the tiller arm holes. Take a good look at an illustration of the Edson tiller arm and you should be able to understand what I am saying.

You will need a few drill bits, a tap, a hacksaw and a drill press that can drill on the end of your full length tiller. A jig saw with a metal cutting blade would take a lot of drudgery out of the job if you want to taper the tiller arm. You will also need a file to smooth out the cuts. I recommend 6061 T6 aluminum. you can try to find it cheap at a metal scrap yard near you or buy new from someone like onlinemetals.com.

There are alternative methods of making this with less material costs such as making most of the tiller arm out of a second piece of aluminum and either bolting or welding it on the the first, now much shorter piece but I think a one piece assembly is more reliable and worth the extra material cost. If you do not have access to the tools maybe you can find someone who can do this for a reasonable cost. I hate to think what a machine shop would charge but your average backyard tinkerer could do this.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 01:53   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

i always thought an axe handle would make a good tiller, even an emergency one but we fitted a wheel before that idea took shape.

Does the Pelagic have a clutch to disengage the motor if its being mounted under deck?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, single