Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 18:53   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,985
Pilot Charts

Hello all...
It has been reported that some of the Pilot Charts available on the OpenCPN web site are incomplete, or do not download correctly.
The charts are linked here:
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/pilotcharts.html


Specifically, the North Pacific charts are in question.


We have tested locally, and find no problems on our network connection.
Anyone else experiencing problems with these charts recently?


Thanks
Dave
__________________

bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 19:38   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
jefndeb's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Boat: Oday 28
Posts: 370
Images: 4
Re: Pilot Charts

Hello,

I downloaded one Pilot Chart of the South Atlantic in OpenCPN but Im not sure if I did it right. I do not see the windrose symbols...

Jeff
__________________

jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 19:59   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,985
Re: Pilot Charts

Jeff...
Did you unzip the downloaded file?
Do you see any chart in South Atlantic?


Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:07   #4
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,093
Pilot Charts

I used the chart downloader to get all 12pilot charts for NP. North Pacific looks normal to me. Wind roses are there. What sort of problem should we expect? Any particular OS related to the reported issue?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:32   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ensenada
Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Posts: 743
Re: Pilot Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello all...
It has been reported that some of the Pilot Charts available on the OpenCPN web site are incomplete, or do not download correctly.
I personally find the Pilot Charts in OpenCPN very difficult to read a I seem to end up with a ton of cross-talk from other charts (admittedly, most likely due to operator error and/or impatience).

Given these are static reference charts that do not update, I prefer to have them separate. No reason to need a charting program to open/read.

Free downloads at https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/APC
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:19   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 5,008
Re: Pilot Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I personally find the Pilot Charts in OpenCPN very difficult to read a I seem to end up with a ton of cross-talk from other charts (admittedly, most likely due to operator error and/or impatience).

Given these are static reference charts that do not update, I prefer to have them separate. No reason to need a charting program to open/read.

Free downloads at https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/APC
Doesn't have to be like that

And you're allowed to look at them on both OpenCPN and in a pDF viewer.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...art_groups_tab
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:02   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,710
Re: Pilot Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I personally find the Pilot Charts in OpenCPN very difficult to read a I seem to end up with a ton of cross-talk from other charts (admittedly, most likely due to operator error and/or impatience).

Given these are static reference charts that do not update, I prefer to have them separate. No reason to need a charting program to open/read.

Free downloads at https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/APC
Try the Pilot Charts in Single mode view. Don't quilt them.
Use the "Q" shortcut to change between the modes.

Similar, updated, info is also available through the "Climatology" plugin.

Regarding the original problem. Both the North Pacific and the South Atlantic files are near twice the size of the other areas. Perhaps a memory size problem.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:00   #8
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,093
Re: Pilot Charts

Better yet, use dual chart mode and create a chart group for just pilot charts. Show pilot charts on one side and regular charts on the other side. Then you can still use quilting on the regular charts. Each month is a piano key.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:02   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 5,008
Re: Pilot Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Better yet, use dual chart mode and create a chart group for just pilot charts. Show pilot charts on one side and regular charts on the other side. Then you can still use quilting on the regular charts. Each month is a piano key.
Used to be you could Ctrl left/right arrow or just mouse click between the charts and the zoom would stay the same but now it resets the zoom to some default every time, really annoying!! Is there a setting in the conf file to stop it doing that?

Sorry for thread drift..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 14:53   #10
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,093
Re: Pilot Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Used to be you could Ctrl left/right arrow or just mouse click between the charts and the zoom would stay the same but now it resets the zoom to some default every time, really annoying!! Is there a setting in the conf file to stop it doing that?



Sorry for thread drift..
Probably should start another thread. Just clicking on the chart surface does not change scale for me. Maybe your mouse is sending wheel events which will change the zoom level.
__________________

transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear, Sails, Anchors, Rodes, Charts, Charts, Charts over40pirate Classifieds Archive 45 23-07-2015 05:49
charts charts charts? jsquared Navigation 19 02-06-2015 12:19
Pilot Grib Files - Similar to Pilot Charts rgleason OpenCPN 22 05-05-2015 03:15
For Sale: Charts, charts and more charts ocean31 Classifieds Archive 1 02-07-2012 19:26
Pilot Charts Now Available as Digital Charts cagney OpenCPN 21 11-09-2010 13:29

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.