Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 21:46   #1

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin
PC Tablet OS Can Run Unbuntu and Others, OpenCpn ?

As a user I would like to ask for opinions and suggestions on a build package for installing OpenCpn on PC tablet.

Forum History:
In an older thread there were pages of discussion on cockpit viewable displays. To make a long story short some folks suggested that a tablet display intensity would work OK under the shade of a Bimini.

So why a PC tablet?
There are some interesting feature built into some of these tablets: built-in GPS, touch screen, 10" displays with 4:3 ratio, good speed, no moving parts, 12V power source, low cost to name a few.

I have found an application that is called Linux installer to install a Linux OS to run on top of the Android OS. I don't know if Linux Installer is a true application or just a procedure. But it will setup a Unbuntu or Debian or ArchLinux or Fedora or openSuse.

My question is assuming that any of the above Linux OS are possible which one/version should be selected to minimize lag in speed and the easy of integrating OpenCpn?

Thanks for your help,
steve
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 22:22   #2

Re: PC Tablet OS Can Run Unbuntu and Others, OpenCpn?

Hi,

Here is a tutorial to get it done. Not for the feint of heart.

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 22:35   #3

Boat: 19' Flying Scot

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Windows Tablet PC | Lenovo (US)

Wait till windows 8 comes out. There will be a flood of x86 based tablets that will arrive with windows 8 release. Right now the choices are very poor.

Make sure its not a window 8 RT tablet. Those are ARM based and will not run Ubuntu.
Ashura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 23:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura View Post
Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Windows Tablet PC | Lenovo (US)

Wait till windows 8 comes out. There will be a flood of x86 based tablets that will arrive with windows 8 release. Right now the choices are very poor.

Make sure its not a window 8 RT tablet. Those are ARM based and will not run Ubuntu.
Linux gets along fine on ARM processors. But you are correct, in order for the kernel and drivers to jive properly he should not get a tablet with an ARM processor that's running windows RT.

Personally, I'm a little wary of the new Atom line. I'm HOPE they turn out, but I'm a bit skeptical.
Old 15-08-2012, 06:27   #5

Question Re: PC Tablet OS Can Run Unbuntu and Others, OpenCpn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Personally, I'm a little wary of the new Atom line. I'm HOPE they turn out, but I'm a bit skeptical.
Not meaning to derail the thread, but what do you mean about being wary of the Atom line? I'm running Ubuntu 12 on a netbook with an ATOM 455 processor. Seems OK.

Thanks
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 08:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Not meaning to derail the thread, but what do you mean about being wary of the Atom line? I'm running Ubuntu 12 on a netbook with an ATOM 455 processor. Seems OK.

Thanks
Well that's pretty impressive. The Atom N455 is a single core 1.6 GHz chip. Are you positive you don't have a discrete video card helping it out? If not, the credit goes to Ubuntu 12 for running light enough for it.

If all is well technically with the 455 then he should be fine with any of the now Atom tablet coming about because they are all armed with the new Clover-Trail chips as far as I'm aware.

One of the reasons for my skepticism is that pretty much all of the manufacturers electing to produce an x86 windows 8 tablet have powered it with full on i5 or i7 ivy bridge unit. This literally halves the battery life and makes the whole unit 20% thicker and heavier (oh, and it needs fans ).

I just FEEL like if the new Clover Trail processor was really up to snuff we'd be seeing more of it.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:07   #7

Boat: Journeyman

OpenCPN runs very well on an Atom 450 with GMA graphics and nothing else, so no need for waryness...
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:35   #8

Re: PC Tablet OS Can Run Unbuntu and Others, OpenCpn ?

I thought there were Ubuntu releases too. I know there are lots of folk using a Linux kernel. I guess I am asking for a non Windows base build. Is there such a thing? If so it would sure be nice to see that choice.

Sorry to be so new at this but I would guess Windows 8 will raise the cost of the tablet PC.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
I thought there were Ubuntu releases too. I know there are lots of folk using a Linux kernel. I guess I am asking for a non Windows base build. Is there such a thing? If so it would sure be nice to see that choice.

Sorry to be so new at this but I would guess Windows 8 will raise the cost of the tablet PC.
Check out the link in my first post. It is a tutorial on how to do exactly what you asked. Load Linux over Android and install OpenCpn. I doubt you can fully replace Android unless you want to give up some tablet functionality (proprietary drivers).

You are correct. It will be cheaper to pick up an older gen android tablet than a brand new windows 8. Why I think people suggest the new Windows 8 devices on the x86 is because they run exactly like a desktop PC. You could just install OpenCpn like you would on a laptop. There would be absolutely ZERO drama.
Old 15-08-2012, 21:22   #10

Re: PC Tablet OS Can Run Ubuntu and Others, OpenCpn ?

I will give your tutorial a closer read, should be very interesting.

I do have Ubuntu 12 running on the tablet PC now, I would assume I could follow the compiling on Linux?
Old 15-08-2012, 21:43   #11

Boat: Journeyman

Event_Horizon, you may wish to update your excellent tutorial with the fact that the sourceforge Git repo is nowadays replaced with the "stable" branch of git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 01:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Event_Horizon, you may wish to update your excellent tutorial with the fact that the sourceforge Git repo is nowadays replaced with the "stable" branch of git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
Not my tutorial. Just something I found on the internet

Tags
opencpn