Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 19:08   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Paid vs Free Android OpenCPN

What is the different between the paid and free version beyond the support provided on the free version?
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 19:13   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Paid vs Free Android OpenCPN

Get Paid version. It is the current version!! Moreover, bdbcat updates it. If you are just hacking around get the other version, but it is definitely not worth it. No support at all, no access to the Android forum to ask questions, and it is a royal PITA because it does not really work correctly.

Get the Paid version. Ask your questions on the Android Forum, please. Not here. Thank you.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 20:50   #3

Boat: valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Get Paid version. It is the current version!! Moreover, bdbcat updates it. If you are just hacking around get the other version, but it is definitely not worth it. No support at all, no access to the Android forum to ask questions, and it is a royal PITA because it does not really work correctly.

Get the Paid version. Ask your questions on the Android Forum, please. Not here. Thank you.
Bit harsh, it was just a question.
Old 02-09-2017, 21:15   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Get Paid version. It is the current version...
I use Dave Register's paid version (the plug-ins alone are worth it), but please note that although it is the most up-to-date on the play store (version 1.0.14 was released on July 23. ,2017, whereas the "free" version dates from 2015), it has not yet incorporated the revisions included in OpenCPN 4.8.0, which was released on August 11, 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
Bit harsh, it was just a question.
I would go as far as to call the second part of rgleason's post out of line. This is the correct place to post this question. BTW, how about a link to the "Android Forum" here on cruisersforum.com, rgleason?
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:00   #5

You asked and got your answer. The same question has been asked many times in this forum.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:11   #6

Furthermore, all Android discussion and questions should be posted in the forum specially devoted to that OS. It has its own issues and sets of questions. Additionally andriod users will find better support there.
This has been posted a number of times and I can understand why users may have forgotten, but it is the way Android questions have been handled from the begining.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:12   #7

My opinion about the other version remains the same.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14   #8

Boat: Pearson 35

The "free" version is based on 4.1 and will not be updated. The paid version is based on v 4.6.x, and will be updated. Yes, the free version has a few bugs, but it is good for a starter to see if your android device will work well. Some Android devices don't - too slow, low resolution screen, etc. Stay away from the $99 pads, and make sure you have an internal GPS in it unless you are providing a feed from a wifi source like openplotter or a wifi equipped AIS.

Once you have tried it and find your device supports it well, I would heartily recommend upgrading to the paid version which is supported and will continue to be upgraded.

The url for more information on the paid (current) version can be found at: OpenCPN App for Android Once you have bought a copy, then you can register for support.

Again, there is NO support for the free version anywhere - you are on your own. Good Luck and enjoy.

Dave
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:43   #9

Dear David,

I don't have control over "stickies". I am just one of many volunteers who provides support, testing, wiki editing, etc. The question asked for opinions about the two versions. I gave my opinion about the choice. It was not snarky, just honest opinion.

If you wish to "hack around" with an Android O version the free version is fine.

I found that it was more difficult to configure charts, lacks features I find necessary, and quite frankly does not work in some areas. I did not work with it very long before I went back to the paid version. Quite frankly, if you value your time I don't think the free version is worthwhile downloading and installing. If you are testing to find out more about O on the Android I don't think the free version gives a fair representation of the paid version's capabilities. Those are just my "opinion".

Sorry, but that is my take on it. I was not trying to be "snarky", indeed I hardly know what that means, and I hardly think I need to apologize for anything. I am indeed sorry if the word "hacking around" offended anyone's sensitivity. Perhaps I should have said "testing".

Best Regards,
Rick
Old 03-09-2017, 14:29   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
...I was not trying to be "snarky", indeed I hardly know what that means, and I hardly think I need to apologize for anything...
The word "snarky" never entered my discourse. The core issue that I addressed was your comment,

Quote:
Ask your questions on the Android Forum, please. Not here. Thank you.
There are two issues with said comment:

1. You implied that the OpenCPN forum at cruisersforum.com was not the appropriate forum within cruisersforum.com for the OP's question; the "Thank you" could be construed as "snarky".
  2. You did not then, nor have you yet, provided a link to the forum you reference, OpenCPN Android Forum for the Purchased App.

Although I use the paid version, I have little interest in accessing the afore-linked forum, as it requires registration in order to view posts. This is a major turn-off to potential (and current) users, who might then justifiably post their inquiry here, in the appropriate forum at cruisersforum.com. The forum owner at OpenCPN Android Forum for the Purchased App should follow standard practices and allow guests to view, but not post to their forum.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 16:43   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Dave, hafa,

Thanks for the info on the differences. You have nicely answered my question - I'll quickly try the free version to confirm my basic expectations (I use OpenCPN on my windows machines so have some) and then move to the paid.

Geoff.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:33   #12

Dear Hafa,

Sorry to have not met your expectations.
  • CF really is not the right forum for answers to questions about the Android version, that is why it has it's own separate dedicated forum. Android users are asked to use that forum.
  • There is absolutely no reason I should provide such a link. I have already done that many times.
I hope you are capable of understanding "volunteer".

Thank you. (not sarky, whatever that is)

Quote:
You implied that the OpenCPN forum at cruisersforum.com was not the appropriate forum within cruisersforum.com for the OP's question; the "Thank you" could be construed as "snarky".

You did not then, nor have you yet, provided a link to the forum you reference, OpenCPN Android Forum for the Purchased App.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

I used the free version this summer on my tablet and it did what I needed just fine. Havent tried the paid version so I can't compare. One problem I found running it on my phone was it would not pull the charts from the sd card, I had to put them on internal memory and I just dont have the space. Wasn't a problem on the tablet. I'm not using any plug ins so also not an issue.
As said above it's ok for trying it out. Now that I know I like it, I'll probably upgrade next summer.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11   #14

Boat: Pearson 35

There are many people on here willing to give cheerful and helpful advice.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:17   #15

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Dear Hafa,

Sorry to have not met your expectations.
  • CF really is not the right forum for answers to questions about the Android version, that is why it has it's own separate dedicated forum. Android users are asked to use that forum.
  • There is absolutely no reason I should provide such a link. I have already done that many times.
I hope you are capable of understanding "volunteer".

Thank you. (not sarky, whatever that is)
I looked it up for you:

Quote:
Definition of snarky
1 : crotchety, snappish
2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

Tags
enc, opencpn