Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 08:50   #1

Outputting NMEA Data

Sorry if this is real basic but... Can OpenCPN output NMEA (0183 or N2K) data? Would like to display waypoint bearing and distance from an Android device via wifi multiplexer to a B&G NMEA 2000 instrument.

Thanks
jnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 09:09   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Outputting NMEA Data

Absolutely. 0183 natively, 2000 takes some additional software or hardware. I use OpenCPN to receive NMEA data from the instruments, plot my routes, and then output that information (including the instrument data) to the autopilot and cockpit displays.

Go into the Options|Connections configuration area (where you set up OpenCPN to receive data), create a connection (serial or network) and check the box down below for "Output data". There are a couple of boxes below that where you can filter the data that is output if you like (for us, we filter out all the AIS data as the AP and cockpit instruments can't use it).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Absolutely. 0183 natively, 2000 takes some additional software or hardware. I use OpenCPN to receive NMEA data from the instruments, plot my routes, and then output that information (including the instrument data) to the autopilot and cockpit displays.

Go into the Options|Connections configuration area (where you set up OpenCPN to receive data), create a connection (serial or network) and check the box down below for "Output data". There are a couple of boxes below that where you can filter the data that is output if you like (for us, we filter out all the AIS data as the AP and cockpit instruments can't use it).
Thanks much for the reply. Can that create a connection be via wifi? Assuming I have a suitable multiplexer? Say the Quark QK-A032-S NMEA 2000/0183 Bi-directional Gateway + WiFi?
Old 30-01-2021, 10:08   #4

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

If your openen computer is already on WiFi you don't need any other hardware, just use a TCP or UDP port. The standard port number to use is 10110. You can use the computers IP address with TCP, or the network broadcast address with UDP, but I recommend TCP when using WiFi.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 10:08   #5

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Openen = opencpn
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 10:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
If your opencpn computer is already on WiFi you don't need any other hardware, just use a TCP or UDP port. The standard port number to use is 10110. You can use the computers IP address with TCP, or the network broadcast address with UDP, but I recommend TCP when using WiFi.
No. This a new installation. If I go this route I'll need to create a wifi network. Thanks
Old 01-02-2021, 02:25   #7

This is not really an OpenCPN question.

As others have replied, when OpenCPN has an Active Route it can be configured to transmit the appropriate NMEA 0183 sentences, namely APB & XTE over serial, TCP or UDP connections.

The real questions you need to be asking should be directed to the the vendors of the WiFi enabled gateways that you are contemplating:
1. Do they convert the relevant NMEA 0183 sentences to and from their respective NMEA 2000 PGN's,
2. Does their WiFi operate in Access Point mode or Station mode
and
3. Most importantly, whether if their WiFi NMEA 0183 capabilities are bi-directional (transmit and receive) or unidirectional (transmit only),

Good luck.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
This is not really an OpenCPN question.

As others have replied, when OpenCPN has an Active Route it can be configured to transmit the appropriate NMEA 0183 sentences, namely APB & XTE over serial, TCP or UDP connections.

The real questions you need to be asking should be directed to the the vendors of the WiFi enabled gateways that you are contemplating:
1. Do they convert the relevant NMEA 0183 sentences to and from their respective NMEA 2000 PGN's,
2. Does their WiFi operate in Access Point mode or Station mode
and
3. Most importantly, whether if their WiFi NMEA 0183 capabilities are bi-directional (transmit and receive) or unidirectional (transmit only),

Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback. Can't vouch for the product so am continuing to research but the Quark A032 bills itself as bi-directional, "connects and converts NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 and vice versa" and does so over wifi. Looks like Actisense can do something similar.

Looking into your point #2.

Tags
nmea