Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 02:16   #1

Boat: ETAP 30i
Other sentences in nmea

Hi,

During offshore testing of arduino-based connections, opencpn closed several times.
Nothing serious since I was in test.

On the other hand, what was annoying was that I had to add to each restart the nmea sentences that are not originally planned in O, such as MDA, DBT, RPM, etc.

Would it be possible to add *once and for all* these sentences nmea in opencpn, so that even if it closes accidentally, these sentences nmea remain in memory.
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Other sentences in nmea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
Hi,

During offshore testing of arduino-based connections, opencpn closed several times.
Nothing serious since I was in test.

On the other hand, what was annoying was that I had to add to each restart the nmea sentences that are not originally planned in O, such as MDA, DBT, RPM, etc.

Would it be possible to add *once and for all* these sentences nmea in opencpn, so that even if it closes accidentally, these sentences nmea remain in memory.
Add where? What you are trying to say that you setting changes were not saved when the application crashed?
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:24   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Does Ocpn only write the .ini file on shut-down? If so, maybe it could write it when OKing the tools tab as well, for instance? Thus solving the OP's problem.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:25   #4

Why did it crash?

Could you get a stack backtrace?
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
Does Ocpn only write the .ini file on shut-down?
No.
Quote:
If so, maybe it could write it when OKing the tools tab as well, for instance? Thus solving the OP's problem.
This is what it currently does.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:49   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
No.

This is what it currently does.
Thanks Pavel! Certainly makes sense.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:51   #7

Boat: ETAP 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Add where? What you are trying to say that you setting changes were not saved when the application crashed?

Sorry if my explanations are not clear.
I was navigating and testing arduino-based sensors that send specific NMEA sentences. In the same way, my Furuno sounder sends a nmea phrase in DBT and not in DPT.
When I set the connection COM port for the first time, I have to add to the sentences recognized by O, the additional sentences that I intend to send to him. (see picture)

This WE, during this navigation, the computer (win10) has closed several times (blue screen). This is not related to O, but to a power supply problem in 12 / 19V, I think.
However, after 3 or 4 sudden closures of the PC, O has not returned to its usual configuration: I had the greeting that we have the first time at the installation, no card was enforced and I had to add again the main settings and all specific sentences nmea.

To avoid this in future tests, if I save apart a copy of the config.ini (with all data well reported) and I have again after several crashes, a blank opencpn, by sticking this copy of the config.ini, can I get an opencpn with the data well declared as before the crash ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11_filtering.png
Views:	57
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	171163   Click image for larger version

Name:	13_sentence-filters1.png
Views:	54
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	171164  

Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
Sorry if my explanations are not clear.
I was navigating and testing arduino-based sensors that send specific NMEA sentences. In the same way, my Furuno sounder sends a nmea phrase in DBT and not in DPT.
When I set the connection COM port for the first time, I have to add to the sentences recognized by O, the additional sentences that I intend to send to him. (see picture)

This WE, during this navigation, the computer (win10) has closed several times (blue screen). This is not related to O, but to a power supply problem in 12 / 19V, I think.
However, after 3 or 4 sudden closures of the PC, O has not returned to its usual configuration: I had the greeting that we have the first time at the installation, no card was enforced and I had to add again the main settings and all specific sentences nmea.

To avoid this in future tests, if I save apart a copy of the config.ini (with all data well reported) and I have again after several crashes, a blank opencpn, by sticking this copy of the config.ini, can I get an opencpn with the data well declared as before the crash ?
Sounds like filesystem corruption to me (The ini file seems completely missing after your machine crashes) and yes, if you keep a copy of opencpn.ini and put it in place before you start the application, it will be used without any problem.

Tags
enc, nmea