Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 04:08   #106

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Missing SGLock Dongle Support Library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
I am doing a clean build of systems from scratch on a new (to me) computer. It is a dual boot Win 10/ Linux Mint 20 machine.

Linux Mint 20 was installed from scratch; OpenCPN installed from the standard opencpn/opencpn PPA; oesenc-pi installed using the plugin manager.

On running, oesenc-pi failed to recognise my dongle. After digging around it appeared that I was missing the package "opencpn-sglock-amd64". Installed the package and all is well.

Something for the team to note?

Lee
For all versions of Linux, except for Debian and *buntu, it is recommended to install the OpenCPN Flatpak version.

https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 19:28   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
For all versions of Linux, except for Debian and *buntu, it is recommended to install the OpenCPN Flatpak version.

https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html

My post was about a possible missing package in the PPA. With regard to Flatpak, some extracts from the OpenCPN manual:
ď
The opencpn flatpak build is targeting Linux users on non-debian distros includiing (but not limited to) Fedora, Arch and SuSE.

Status
OpenCPN Flatpak is in initial Beta testing stage. All testing feedback will be greatly appreciated. Especially useful will be descriptions of installation difficulties of any sort. Also, reports of successful installations or failures on truly odd-ball linux distributions are encouraged.

FAQs.
1. Q: I am running Ubuntu linux. Tell me again why I should run, or even try, OpenCPN Flatpak? A: You probably would not want to run OpenCPN Flatpak, since OpenCPN is natively supported for Ubuntu. Downloads and updates are available for Ubuntu as normal from the OpenCPN PPA repository. But just to be clear: yes, you may run OpenCPN Flatpak on Ubuntu, if you would just like to try it out.

4. Q: Can I use a oesenc license purchased for a native installation when using flatpak? A: No, the flatpak sandbox is seen as a another computer and requires a separate license.
ď

Perhaps Flatpak is the way of the future, but not quite yet? I note further that the manual has a separate section under Flatpak on troubleshooting recognition of the dongle, which suggests troubles.

I am an intermittent user of Linux and readily admit to not being on top of this stuff.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 07:27   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
On running, oesenc-pi failed to recognise my dongle. After digging around it appeared that I was missing the package "opencpn-sglock-amd64". Installed the package and all is well.
The opencpn-sglock-amd64 package is not needed with OpenCPN 5.2.4!

For Debian/*buntu the pluginmanager installs the sglock-library and the plugin.
Here an extra libusb-0.1-4 package is needed and a udev-rule to initialize the dongle. The udev rule is handled when installing OpenCPN.

For Flatpak the pluginmanager also installs the sglock-library and the plugin. Basically the same problems as above apply. You need libusb-0.1-4 and you need an udev-rule. Since Flatpak is almost a virtual machine you can't install packages on the host OS from the OpenCPN installer.

You can greatly magnify the "problem", but basically you have 2 documented extra steps during installation. If you can find the steps in the documentation I think the problem is manageable.

Flatpak does what it should do fairly well. It saves you a one-way ticket to a dependency hell. If you think the manual should be improved, do tell.
hreuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 18:37   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreuver View Post
The opencpn-sglock-amd64 package is not needed with OpenCPN 5.2.4!

For Debian/*buntu the pluginmanager installs the sglock-library and the plugin.
Here an extra libusb-0.1-4 package is needed and a udev-rule to initialize the dongle. The udev rule is handled when installing OpenCPN.

For Flatpak the pluginmanager also installs the sglock-library and the plugin. Basically the same problems as above apply. You need libusb-0.1-4 and you need an udev-rule. Since Flatpak is almost a virtual machine you can't install packages on the host OS from the OpenCPN installer.

You can greatly magnify the "problem", but basically you have 2 documented extra steps during installation. If you can find the steps in the documentation I think the problem is manageable.

Flatpak does what it should do fairly well. It saves you a one-way ticket to a dependency hell. If you think the manual should be improved, do tell.

Thanks for the explanation. When I installed opencpn-sglock-amd64, I also installed libusb-0.1-4 as a dependency, thereby solving my problem.

On re-reading, there is a note tucked away in the documentation to install libusb-0.1-4. My fault for not doing a proper RTFM.

At least I now know what is going on.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 17:55   #110

Debian 10 install issues

Greetings,

I have several issues I hope someone can help with.

I am unable to update the repository because the Public GPG key seems to be missing from the PPA? I tried to update with settings for --allow-insecure and --allow-unauthenticated, but it never did work.

EDIT:

I solved the issue by adding the GPG key from the Raspi documentation:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C865EB40

That solve all issues, and the program installed. I'm sure I will have several
issues related to discussion in this thread. Hopefully this may help someone?

This is on actual Debian, and not Ubuntu.
JohnRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 01:51   #111

Boat: Archambault Grand Surprise, 10m
Re: OS Linux specific

Hi,
I'm stuck trying to workout how I'm meant to install plugins in opencpn 5.2.4 running on ubuntu impish. I gather from the doco that there has been some changes, but I can't find the magic combination needed.

Even though opencpn was included in the ubuntu distro, I also installed the ppa (deb Index of /opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu impish main), but it gives me no more packages to install. I can't find any plugin modules and the detailed info for opencpn deb says that it breaks/replaces opencpn-plugins. So I guess that means debian packages are no longer used.

So read NEW plugin doco at: https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...0.1/index.html and it says: "Download the plugin for your operating system the official OpenCPN download page"

Which I assume is https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html, but it just says: "For Ubuntu Linux and it's derivatives (Linux Mint) and Debian Jessie based distributions, OpenCPN is distributed from a PPA", and I've been down that path and there are no plugins available from that PPA.

So I click around a bit more and find https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadplugins.html, which suggests that plugins are available from a plugin manager from v5.2+, which is my version.

So I try one of the plugins listed there: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/ocharts.html and it has a button labelled "How to Install and Enable Plugins", which I click to get to https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...all_and_enable

I now learn there is a Plugin Manager (PIM) and Plugin Installer (PI), which PIM being the more modern approach!!

So I open Options>Plugins. I see a list of the 4 included plugins, but I see no "+" button? (you can see a screen shot here https://photos.app.goo.gl/g5DnnoiWgTEbKHkE7

I've tried updating the plugin catalog(s), which is says it does OK, but nothing changes on the screen?

I tried the import plugin, but that wants a local file and I can't find anywhere to download plugins... I just end back in the documentation loops above???

Help!!!!
sfigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 02:03   #112

Some additional information for my previous post.
I can see the .opencpn/plugins/cache/metadata/ocpn-plugins.xml file and it contains lots of plugins, with many being available for <target>ubuntu-x86_64</target>

My machine is running ubuntu and is an x86_64. The output of uname -a is:

Linux pellet 5.13.0-44-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 18 13:28:06 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and lsb_release -a says:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 21.10
Release: 21.10
Codename: impish

Ahhhh There are target versions!!! It only supports 21.04 or 22.04!!!!! OK let's try an upgrade.
Old 30-05-2022, 04:29   #113

I upgraded to 22.04 and no difference
Old 30-05-2022, 04:54   #114

Hello,

You must click on the "Settings..." button in the Plugins page which tells you that you need to add an entry in the config file.
Note this entry, close OCPN, add the entry in the conf and save it, then reopen OCPN and click again on the "Settings...".
This time you can select "ubuntu-gtk3-x86_64:20.04" as the flavour in the "Compatibility" section. Click "Done" then update the plugin catalog.
ozolli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux