Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 03:07   #91

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

Hello Sean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Sean,

How about a key assignment page that allows a selected key to be assigned to an item in a list of shortcuts. Similar to a color/font selection operation.

I am thinking of a process something like:

Open the shortcut key assignment page.
1) Select "Learn", ...
9) Selected "Done", Save current assignments, exit shortcut key assignment page.

(*) It would be nice if the list showed which shortcuts were already assigned and which were not yet assigned. Maybe font or color.

To handle different language ..., the translators could also provide ... included keyboard assignments ...the selected local language.

Allow me to support the idea of ​​Viling Sailor, developed in the post @ 85.

Obviously, I am completely in agreement with Viking Sailor when he says that this idea should not make the developer's life hell.

B.R. Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 03:37   #92

Boat: Najad 34

Hi.
Quote:
Gille...Personally, I do not know compiled (I'm on Windows 7). So I can only wait a sailor as Hakan has the good idea to put in a new version ....
I've built Sean version 3 from Today's Git.
I've checked it's working but not much testing yet.
But I still get no AIS alarm.
Meanwhile someone makes an installer package you may downloaded my win-exe file from this link. (Right-click and "save link". Save to Opencpn running dir and delete everything after ".exe". )
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ean_3.3.1303.3
The file version is now 3.3.1303.3 although the version path "1303.3" is interpreted by Windows to read: 3.3.858993459???

(A tip: To not interfere with my standard 3.3.1303 dir and its ini file I've made copy of the whole c:\program files\opencpn to c:\program files\opencpn_sean and pasted the Sean opencpn version there. From there I start the program using the "-p" switch for portable. (You can as well use your old ini file if you like. Copy your normal opencpn.ini to ...\opencpn_sean)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:16   #93

Hello Sean, hello Hakan,

Testing your 3.3.1303.3 that you put in line in post #xx, I try AIS using plugin VDR with a file that I have recorded myself with VDR. With other version of OpenCPN, there is no problem.

BUT with thse version , the target are dispayed badly.

The target position is displayed for each contained in different AIS message received by the vessel. This is normal.
But when the target advance, the former position of the target is displayed and the new position is also displayed. This is not normal.

Similarly, different baseline of the boat are displayed (red line)

And after that I stopped the AIS plugin, some time after, I have this screen.

See screen copy.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-18_Problem_for_AIS_display_target.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	74223   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-18_Problem_for_AIS_display_target_2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	74224  

Name:	2014-01-18_Problem_for_AIS_display_target_3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	74225  
Old 18-01-2014, 13:33   #94

Hi
Some test results using the latest version.
Win-XP @ ~2 GHz and ~2 Gb mem. Old graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon X600 128 Mb (1680x1050)
Sean_Opencpn Version 3.3.1303.3

General:
It's a "at home" test but I've used a GPS, Internet AIS feed and VDR simulation for cruising and the AIS CPA Alarm.
The performance is good using vector charts. I can very well use the OpenGL features which is not possible on my old machine with the official O.
I can't use raster charts in OpenGL mode due to very low performance.

Defects:
1) The AIS CPA alarm is not working.
2) The GPS Indicator is not visible.
3) It's extremely slow viewing raster charts with OpenGL. No change from Ver 2. Different OpenGL options are tried without observable influence.
The performance is as normal when OpenGL is deactivated.
4) Text colour is not viewed in OpenGL mode. It's always black regardless of chosen text colour. (Known issue from earlier O versions.)
5) When zooming using the mouse wheel the zooming is endless and stops only at the max/min zoom levels. This occurs only when the smooth zooming option is activated in OpenGL mode.
(I could only test it for vector charts due to the bad raster performance described in #3).
6) I havn't tested the rotation nor the diagonal moving of charts due to the key combination issue described in earlier post. (Alt gr to reach for example the "[" sign)

Verified fixes:
1) Toggle between Course-up/North-up is working both from mouse and Toolbar menus
2) Text (_texto) updating on vector charts is now good and no delays.

Håkan
Old 19-01-2014, 02:26   #95

Sean...
I've a misunderstanding from my point to clear. My notes about the invisible "GPS indicator" is not relevant. You refer to it as the "Compass window" and since I've never used it as such but only for GPS status information my mind didn't made the connection between the two denominations being the same thing. So - if I choose the option "Show compass window" the GPS status indicator appears. -Sorry-

I've no doubts following your discussion about the heavy compass window and as said that information is not important for me. BUT I do use the GPS status information frequently. Not less in narrow passages where I have it in the corner of the eye to be sure that O is relevant and updated.
Is it possible to take the two parts away from each other and show only the GPS status part? Assuming that the GPS information is not as heavy to keep updated as the compass part. Or if you've any other idea? (I know that the GPS status information can be achieved both in Dashboard and the Watchdog plugin but it's not really the same thing.)
Old 19-01-2014, 02:50   #96

Never touch a running system, an accidental click and back to square one. Bussy to built up again, following Hakan's hints.

In the meantime some remarks to tests with AIS.

.exe as per #20
"master" and "slave" as #20, both on, connected via UDP in both directions, GPS on "master" only, ais1.shipraiser.net on slave via TCP, on "master" via GPSD (see #63)

1) ais1 on both PC's active, running some hours:
"master" "slave"
1200 900 AIS-targets
<10% on core 0 100% CPU load
ca. 20% ca.80% RAM load
< < Net load

2) both AIS-feeds inerruptet,
1200 0 AIS-targets
Konfiguration for both PC's:
Lost target mark after 6 min
Remove lost target after 12 min

3) AIS feed only on 1 PC, the other via UDP and reverse
Results as before

4) AIS target list, Limit Range set to 10 NM, later to 10000NM
Results
Number of targets on the chart did not change
Target count in the list changed

5) CPA / TPA Alerts
Konfiguration
Show Alert Dialog
Play sound
No Supress
Enable Target Alert Ackn. timeout 5 min
Sound foghorn.wav
Test alertsound = ok

Results
Some dialogs flashed on for less than 1 sec, no sound

Regards
Gnomoh
Gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 07:38   #97

Some more AIS
With OCPN 3.3.1303 went into AIS details to compare later with Version 3.3.1303.3
Some notes only:
Got focus on a small aera with chart and AIS konfigurations.
AIS-Radar plugin and sound are ok. Pop-up windows should stay longer, till acknowlegement. An Alarm is catching the focus from other opend windows.

Hakan,
I "moved my chair" to the island of Groetoe. The right-click, when GPS is off, does not woerk in 1303.
I shut off GPRMC while AIS-reception was running.

Gnomon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIS20140114_1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	74273  
Gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 08:07   #98

Boat: Hylas 44

Sean has the AIS timers disabled, probably for performance testing. Apply this patch to restore AIS functions.

Code:
diff --git a/src/AIS_Decoder.cpp b/src/AIS_Decoder.cpp
index 26d64ec..8be4dcc 100644
--- a/src/AIS_Decoder.cpp
+++ b/src/AIS_Decoder.cpp
@@ -1829,7 +1829,7 @@ void AIS_Decoder::UpdateOneCPA( AIS_Target_Data *ptarget )

void AIS_Decoder::OnTimerAISAudio( wxTimerEvent& event )
 {
-    return;
+//    return;
     if( g_bAIS_CPA_Alert_Audio && m_bAIS_Audio_Alert_On ) {
         if(!m_AIS_Sound.IsOk() )
              m_AIS_Sound.Create( g_sAIS_Alert_Sound_File );
@@ -1848,7 +1848,7 @@ void AIS_Decoder::OnTimerAISAudio( wxTimerEvent& event )

void AIS_Decoder::OnTimerAIS( wxTimerEvent& event )
 {
-    return
+//    return
     TimerAIS.Stop();

//    Scrub the target hash list
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 12:16   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
Some more AIS
...Hakan,
I "moved my chair" to the island of Groetoe. The right-click, when GPS is off, does not woerk in 1303.
I shut off GPRMC while AIS-reception was running.

Gnomon
Gnomon... I suppose you're using ais1.shipraiser to achieve AIS messages and there is as you noticed a GPRMC included. And i think you solved it by filter all RMC out in the connection options? Otherwiae the mouse menu function "Move the boat here" will not work - right. Did I understand you correct?
(But Grötö is a nice place not less for breakfast? The name is directly translated to "Isle of porridge")
Old 19-01-2014, 12:28   #100

Boat: Amel Sharki

I suggest that developers who wants to have testers should explain which OS, which compiler, and which other environments they have used to build something. This "optimized" code is a nightmare for me without knowing anything. Sorry to have said this...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 12:55   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
Sean has the AIS timers disabled, probably for performance testing. Apply this patch to restore AIS functions.
........Chuck
Chuck...You're really great! Thanks. (But these functions where for sure fulfilling the quick execution task?? )

Thanks to Chuck the AIS alarm is now back to normal functions. I've updated the link to my opencpn.exe file where Chuck's patch is included. Time to test AIS functions again?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ean_3.3.1303.3
(Right click and "save link as..")

Sean...at all
My earlier discussions to get the page-up/-down to not force the endless zooming is maybe solved. See my code changes. You may have seen this before and solved it for the numeric pad's "+/-" signs by catching the key-up to stop the zooming. I put in my Pg up... there and now it works also in "Smooth zooming" mode.
Code:
diff --git a/src/chcanv.cpp b/src/chcanv.cpp
index bacde52..dc8878d 100644
--- a/src/chcanv.cpp
+++ b/src/chcanv.cpp
@@ -1824,10 +1824,12 @@ void ChartCanvas::OnKeyDown( wxKeyEvent &event )

//NUMERIC PAD
     case WXK_NUMPAD_ADD:              // '+' on NUM PAD
+    case WXK_PAGEUP:
         ZoomCanvas( 2.0 );
         break;

case WXK_NUMPAD_SUBTRACT:   // '-' on NUM PAD
+    case WXK_PAGEDOWN:
         ZoomCanvas( .5 );
         break;

@@ -2132,6 +2134,8 @@ void ChartCanvas::OnKeyUp( wxKeyEvent &event )

case WXK_NUMPAD_ADD:              // '+' on NUM PAD
     case WXK_NUMPAD_SUBTRACT:   // '-' on NUM PAD
+    case WXK_PAGEDOWN:
+    case WXK_PAGEUP:
         if(m_mustmove)
             DoMovement(m_mustmove);
And I tried to find a similar way to solve the endless zooming caused by the mouse wheel but didn't succeed. It's much more complex coding.
Chuck..Anything for you?

Thanks Håkan
Old 19-01-2014, 21:17   #102

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Sean,

How about a key assignment page that allows a selected key to be assigned to an item in a list of shortcuts. Similar to a color/font selection operation.
Sorry if this sounds like a lot of work, it is just an idea.

Paul
It is a lot of work which is why even though I though of a similar thing (but also with completely customizable toolbar) so keys, and buttons (as well as remote control from another program via sockets) can all access the same customizable action functions. Eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Chuck...You're really great! Thanks. (But these functions where for sure fulfilling the quick execution task?? )
Gah.. I missed a few more.. Sorry.

Who supports me in moving ais support to a plugin? I honestly don't think it would change the user experience at all, and we could add more features without bloating the main program, so really slow computers who don't use ais will greatly benefit as well. Also ais can be greatly optimized.
Quote:

Sean...at all
My earlier discussions to get the page-up/-down to not force the endless zooming is maybe solved. See my code changes. You may have seen this before and solved it for the numeric pad's "+/-" signs by catching the key-up to stop the zooming. I put in my Pg Thanks Håkan
Great, will use all of these changes.

I'll try to fix the wheel issue, but keep in mind I don't have a mouse wheel, or even a usb mouse or anything with which to test it.

So current issues still not resolved:
1. really slow raster charts on old hardware (I'm working on improving in this area)
2. AIS targets not rendering properly. Is this fixed now?
3. norwegian keyboard keycodes not known for rotation commands (I cannot fix without more information)

Any other issues?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 00:59   #103

Sean...
Quote:
Who supports me in moving ais support to a plugin? I honestly don't think it would change the user experience at all, and we could add more features without bloating the main program, so really slow computers who don't use ais will greatly benefit as well. Also ais can be greatly optimized.
Even if AIS nowadays has became a vital and important part of open sea security it may be that most cruisers still don't need it or don't find the benefits worth the expense. If that's the case it would fit as a plugin. And also if that can make life easier for using ARMs and similar so why not.
But I think there is a reason why it wasn't a plugin from the beginning when AIS still was a new "odd" gadget?? And is the performance contribution really that great for the AIS part? In real sailing life there are normally not that many boats in the area close around you. It's not like the testing where we really stress the system using a Net AIS feed showing hundreds of targets. (I've 768 for the moment)
-More features. I'm a bit divided to that. A cruising aid should be kept simple and prioritize a safe functionality and easy access. More functions can be disturbing but of course also entertaining.
Any conclusions out of this chatter? Well it may be that it could be more important to concentrate on a efficient raster chart rendering. Opencpn is outstanding compared to other with its capability to handle both raster and vector charts simultaneously. And I think it's the first priority to keep that up to date?
Quote:
So current issues still not resolved:
1. really slow raster charts on old hardware (I'm working on improving in this area)
2. AIS targets not rendering properly. Is this fixed now?
3. norwegian keyboard keycodes not known for rotation commands (I cannot fix without more information)
2. I can't verify this note. I've as said hundreds of targets and have also used a VDR play. Maybe Gille.. can to come back with more details after the last program update? (The red dotted lines may be the mag. heading?)
3. Keyboards around the world is a mess when coming to special signs. The easiest would be to find keys common for all. For the rotation you could use Ctrl-left/right arrow (like many graphic pgm) for example. But then we must find another function for toggling between loaded charts--groan!

I've no more real notes for the moment. But I saw a strange behaviour:
> Smooth zooming note:
When smooth zooming is activated (and only then) for vector charts the red charts boundary lines (for a KAP-file) and Waypoints disappeared in the scale segment between ~27000 and ~13000. When zooming in it first disappeared and then returned. But this only happened for a very restricted area in a CM93 e-part. Very strange but I think I've to trace this more?
Old 20-01-2014, 05:44   #104

Hello Sean, Hello hakan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Sean...
2. I can't verify this note. I've as said hundreds of targets and have also used a VDR play. Maybe Gille.. can to come back with more details after the last program update? (The red dotted lines may be the mag. heading?)
First : My sea area is the channel ... With many and many tankers, and other cargo, with many fisching boat, with many sail boat. And then, for me, the AIS system is very important when I am at sea. AIS run every time. So, do not separate AIS from OpenCPN please.

Second :
This morning I try another your OCPN 331303.3. The first screen was the same black that I send you in the #93 post.

I click on the screen and then the black screen dispeared. But, the old track was visible (This is normal).

It seem that there is multiple old traks but there is only one track.

I am at home, and VDR was not running. So, the AIS target are not visible (of course).

See join screen copy

What is the problem ? I use in this case CM93 with mosaïc ON. You see a great chart and a squerre with a little area with an other chart. This little area was the black area.

I thing that there is a problem of screen udpdate. Not a problem with VDR, Not a problem with AIS. Just a problem of screen updating.

Third : I have activate your plugin StatusBar. Nothing occur ! And the AIS indicator is under the status bar. If I click on the AIS indicator, it up.

And is it normal that with statusbar, no icon appear in the icons bar ?

B.R. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-20_Tracks_multi_displayed_Statusbar_over_AIS_indicator.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	74337   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-20_Statusbar_over_preferences.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	74338  

Old 20-01-2014, 07:28   #105

> StatusBar. Nothing occur !
Try to chance the Y value ( counts from bottom ).
curl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, enc