Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 03:59   #61

Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

Hakan,
in my living-room and GPS south of Munich I have problems with the course of my arm-chair
but
I use openGL with none of the options selected
pulled USB of GPS to get right-click menue
moved boat to Helsingoer
switched with wrench and right-click menue sometimes between course-up and North-up. Each followed the other.
Selction of look ahead was accepted, but not verified.
I intend to make a spread sheet to document konfiguration and tests.
But, you know, retired peoble dont have time.
PS I also dont know the meanings of the options smooth-something startet fe zooming the chart with key + or -. chart zoomed in many steps, ending
with extrem values and stopping all actions. Shut down only via taskmanager possible.
Regards
gnomon
Gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:08   #62

Boat: Najad 34

Sean..
I see you've change the zoom key function. The <+/-> function are there as before but the previous <Ctrl +> and <Ctrl -> are now changed to <Alt +> and <Alt ->. I have no big problem changing my behaviour but what is the reason for the change?

Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:28   #63

Sean and Hakan,

I forgot to point out (there was smoke-alarm in the kitchen)
that I receive

ais1.shipraiser.net

via GPDS and not TCP !
Perhaps the labels are interchanged.

Gnomon
Gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Sean..
..........now changed to <Alt +> and <Alt ->. .......
Håkan
The "Alt" function is working fine for zooming "in" but not for "out".
May I suggest something like this:
Code:
--- a/src/chcanv.cpp
+++ b/src/chcanv.cpp
@@ -2769,9 +2782,10 @@ void ChartCanvas::ZoomCanvas( double factor, bool out )
             m_zoom_factor = factor;
         }
     } else {
-        if( m_modkeys == wxMOD_ALT )
-            factor = 1.1;
-        
+        if( m_modkeys == wxMOD_ALT ) {
+           if (factor > 1) factor = 1.1;
+           if (factor < 1) factor = 0.9;
+        }
         DoZoomCanvas( factor );
     }
It works but it's maybe not so smart coded?

I've updated my Opencpn.exe link with this change. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....Sean_3.3.1302
-There is also added my delight the Page-up/Page-down function.(Equals +/-))
-The version number for that file is also completed to 3.3.13032

Håkan
Old 14-01-2014, 05:59   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
Hakan,
in my living-room and GPS south of Munich I have problems with the course of my arm-chair
........gnomon
Gnomon.. If you don't wont to travel in your chair I suggest using the VDR plugin and the text file belonging to it. Then you can travel in Croatia instead. Se Voyage Data Recorder Plugin | Official OpenCPN Homepage

And thanks for the right-click menu tips. Even though I'm retired as well it's obviously much more to learn. All the time.

Sean....
North up Course up features:
The right click menu is working in both directions but not the "Toolbar" menus. And if I have changed to "Course up" using the Toolbar the Right-click menu is not updated accordingly. But opposite if I have used the Right-click menu the Toolbar menu is updated.

Håkan
Old 14-01-2014, 10:49   #66

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Sean.. at all.
A couple of failures to add. (I'm using WinXP and the last git version)

Failures
> When I from the Toolbox chose "North up" it's working but switching back to "course up" is not working.

> With "OpenGL" activated the chart text (_texto) is updated very slowly. When the boat is moving and the chart moves accordingly the text fields are invisible for minutes.
1>
The OpenGL feature now has a lot of properties. I don't understand the impact of the different choices and could need a couple of explanations. Please help me!
Thanks Håkan
- I tryed north up and course up. This do not run correctly.
- I try nederland ENC with mosaïc OFF. I try also CM93. I select to display all objects. Then A+ run correctly.
- I said in a previous post that I could not docked the dashboard. I stopped and restarted O. This time I get to the docked dasboard. Why ?? In the first test I try many plugin before trying to docked the dasboard. In this second test, I try to docked the dashboard immediatly. Perhaps this explain the problem.

1 OpenGL feature : There is too much choice. If it is temporary, for testing, no problem. If it is final, it is a mistake common sense. O must remain as simple as possible.

And as Hakan, I understand nothing about these feature.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:37   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
Hakan,
...startet fe zooming the chart with key + or -. chart zoomed in many steps, ending
with extrem values and stopping all actions. Shut down only via taskmanager possible.....
gnomon
The behaviour described of gnomon is verified.
These are my experiences:
(WinXP - OpenGl is initially activated.)
>Viewing vector charts (CM93) the zoom function works as expected.

>Switch to raster charts (BSB). Zooming in or out (+/-) takes some ten seconds to update the screen. If I during that delay time press the zoom key once again and then don't touch the keys the zooming will continue every ten seconds. I can stop it by deactivating the OpenGL using the toolbox but every step take the same ten seconds.

>Also moving around using the up/down arrow keys in raster charts with OpenGL NOT activated is distinctly slow. It takes some 6 seconds for every move. The delay is even more evident when the move pass the border of one chart and load the next. If I change to the original 3.3.1303 the same movements take between a half and one second.

Håkan
Old 14-01-2014, 13:56   #68

hello Hakan,
Quote:

I've updated my Opencpn.exe link with this change. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....Sean_3.3.1302
-The version number for that file is also completed to 3.3.13032

Håkan
Sorry, impossible to download this new version.
B.R Gilletarom.
Old 14-01-2014, 16:46   #69

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello Hakan,

Sorry, impossible to download this new version.
B.R Gilletarom.
Gilletarom, works for me. I right-clicked, then "save target as"....then edit the name of downloaded file. You likely know this, but lurkers may want to give Hakan's SeanO a try too.
When Downloaded, it reports as 3.22mb in size.

and Thanks,Hakan for putting these up!

However, PageUp/PageDn is not working here...chart just zoomed outout and awaaaay.

I like the ALT zoom... hurray! Pan and zoom now have the same modifier
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:50   #70

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
This only happens without a gps attached.

OpenGL ONLY, ownship does not change colour with gps on. It is blue from actual xpm colour orange and red (GPSOn)
I will test without gps now since I wrote this in the middle of the ocean I always had GPS.. thanks for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Sean
Kubuntu 13.10 64 bits.
It looks like I have a unique problem.
With Chucks patches I had a problem with uncontrollable zooming using the scroll wheel. If I started to zoom out, for example, I could not stop it with the scroll wheel. The only way was by pressing "-". Similar if I tried zooming in.
This problem still exists, but now even the "-" & "+" buttons are unreliable. I can't yet see a pattern. Sometimes they work, sometimes there is uncontrollable zooming.
* The outlines of CM93 chart are persistent. The are not supposed to show in quilt mode.

*The outlines of raster charts are not always there, when viewing in a small scale. No pattern. Comparing charts of the same scale, some may show others not. Zooming in eventually brings up all outlines.

Thomas
I will see if I can hack it to test but I have no mouse wheel.. which explains the issues.

I rewrote a lot of the chart outline code to make it much more efficient.
Easy to turn off CM93 outlines in quilt mode.. will do that. Can you explain a way to produce the third bug you are describing?

Quote:
Hello,

Using Hakan compiled version W, I confirm that GPS indicator not visible and AIS alarm not working. But it is possible to choice and test alarm.
I think cagney pointed this problem out and it is fixed now?

Quote:
Sean.. at all.

> With "OpenGL" activated the chart text (_texto) is updated very slowly. When the boat is moving and the chart moves accordingly the text fields are invisible for minutes.
When "OpenGL" is not activated the text update is more or less immediate. (See also note 1)
The text is still buggy, it is something I intend to look into very soon. Does this problem occur when fbo for panning is disabled?
Quote:
The OpenGL feature now has a lot of properties. I don't understand the impact of the different choices and could need a couple of explanations. Please help me!
Sorry.. I thought they were self explanatory.. In any case most of these options will be deleted as they are only needed for testing purposes.. but I believe we need a few (and a few more accessible from config file)

Quote:
Sean..
I see you've change the zoom key function. The <+/-> function are there as before but the previous <Ctrl +> and <Ctrl -> are now changed to <Alt +> and <Alt ->. I have no big problem changing my behaviour but what is the reason for the change?

Håkan
So it is the same as panning.

Quote:
- I tryed north up and course up. This do not run correctly.
Ok.. it seems pretty well indicated north up via toolbar is broken (of course it works via context menu) I will fix this soon.

Did anyone try the [ ] and \ keys yet?

I should have an update in a few days. Thanks for all the testing.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 23:36   #71

Sean..

Quote:
I think cagney pointed this problem out and it is fixed now?
Neither the GPS indicator nor the AIS alarm is fixed in the last Git. (I call that edition version #2.)

Quote:
Sorry.. I thought they were self explanatory.. In any case most of these options will be deleted as they are only needed for testing purposes.
I'm also sorry but would like to understand what I'm doing. The properties are there for test purpose that's clear. But to be able to test I need to know how to control different test scenarios. So please if you've the time to briefly explain I'll appreciate that. Or if you point to a place where I can learn more.

Thanks for your heavy commitments to OpenCPN and for giving me and others the joy of testing.
Håkan
Old 15-01-2014, 00:11   #72

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Sean..

Neither the GPS indicator nor the AIS alarm is fixed in the last Git. (I call that edition version #2.)

I'm also sorry but would like to understand what I'm doing. The properties are there for test purpose that's clear. But to be able to test I need to know how to control different test scenarios. So please if you've the time to briefly explain I'll appreciate that. Or if you point to a place where I can learn more.
Yes good point:

the FBO panning option enables if the FrameBufferObject extension is used to accelerate panning or not. On some drivers it could be buggy so disabling would give slower correct operation. Keep in mind FBO only works in north up mode (at the moment)

the smooth X vector/raster should do like it says. I think only for keyboard control. Eventually I hope all 6 of these options can be checked for everyone without problems, (and therefore removed) but in the meantime I am waiting to hear from someone who says that disabling one of these "fixed" a problem. If you don't know, check all of them.

So this for +- arrow keys (I also made it possible to pan diagonally with arrow keys) and [ ] \ keys for rotation. Any ideas for mouse/toolbar control of rotation? or is this a bad idea? It could also be implemented in a plugin. I don't like course up mode because it jumps too much. Of course this could be greatly improved with some filtering to make it pretty smooth but not implemented yet. I prefer route-up (not changing) and south-up modes which can now be set manually.

Texture compression enables using texture compression in the graphics driver for the video memory used to store raster charts. This was enabled by default before, but it completely broke things on a really old laptop I tested it with (open source nvidia driver) so I put this in the hope to fix issues for these people, maybe only me. This option can probably be moved to only available in the config file.

Texture dimension gives the size of texture tiles to use for raster charts. A larger dimension can give better performance but use more memory.. too large might actually be slower.. Only powers of 2 can be used, so 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096... I would love to hear reports to indicate which setting gives the best performance on a certain card. The default of 512 seems reasonable but I doubt optimal in all cases so experimentation would be interesting.

Quote:
Thanks for your heavy commitments to OpenCPN and for giving me and others the joy of testing.
Håkan
Yes this took a lot of time but I needed something to do on a long passage. I only wish I could test it better, because I feel bad consuming so much testing time.. but I think it is worth it for the end result. There really is a lot in this patch. it is not fully tested.. for example.. no one commented on the world background map (when no charts are enabled) I am pretty sure panning is _much_ faster now.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 04:46   #73

Sean..
Many thanks. I'll check and see if can find the influence for each property when I run in to performance trouble. My laptop is as well an old friend but as said using OpenGL is possible with your code on vector charts but if I try it on the original O the cooling fan starts to scream after a while.
Quote:
So this for +- arrow keys (I also made it possible to pan diagonally with arrow keys) and [ ] \ keys for rotation. Any ideas for mouse/toolbar control of rotation? or is this a bad idea? It could also be implemented in a plugin. I don't like course up mode because it jumps too much. Of course this could be greatly improved with some filtering to make it pretty smooth but not implemented yet. I prefer route-up (not changing) and south-up modes which can now be set manually
I haven't test that much mainly due to low interest for my own use. I always use North-up. May that be based on the former use of paper charts always laying down on the desk?
Quote:
...I only wish I could test it better, because I feel bad consuming so much testing time..
Please don't. No one force me or others to spend our time. It's on a voluntary basis as of the rest of this wonderful team. But please be patient when the comments and questions are "stupid" or based on a misunderstanding. I think to the end also us amateurs can get things right sometimes. And, not less, we are most likely a part of the proposed users.

Thanks Håkan.
Old 15-01-2014, 13:32   #74

Sean..
I've tested different settings using raster charts and OpenGL.
No raster settings on/off or size up and down (in 2 multiple steps) make any difference.
For me It's not possible to use OpenGL on raster charts. -> One arrow key press to move the chart stress the CPU to 99% and the operation takes some 10 sec.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:35   #75

Hello Sean, Hello hakan,

Using 3313032, and NZ raster charts, I see that Zoom -, zoom +, and change + of scalel and change - of scale do not run correctly.

(now, I test the Sean version with a portable version because the hard disk version is used for testing S-63 plugin)

B.R. gilletarom

Tags
opencpn, enc