Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 16:07   #16

Re: Openplotter on Raspberry Pi3B+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemko View Post
Hi, @hreuver. Thank You very much for tips about plugins I will check them all and try.
Now I'm focused in DVB-T dongle and to make it work. I try many options and I have to go to raspi-config and enable serial port to get rid of that notification about "opencpn don't have access..." thaen I can add connections in opencpn gui in connections tab.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kr9MkBpqkDZA9zXN6
But when I try to save I have that info:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iftZJuNGnn5J3jb5A
so I delete Your 66-usb.serial file and add this one.
Then I reboot and everything looks OK but I have info when start system check about there's no connection with Signal K and ther's a conflict between serial connections.
I also go to terminal and start rtl_sdr test that is already installed with openplotter iinstallation. That is result so it looks OK.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mYafNTotTygAb5TT8
Do I have to make something else? I live in central Poland and don't have any maps here so I will not see any ships but can I test that opencpn will work with that DVB-T reciver?
Regards Przemko
Do also consider the Moitessier hat ! check shop.sailoog.com - buying there supports the developers of openplotter
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 23:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
Do also consider the Moitessier hat ! check shop.sailoog.com - buying there supports the developers of openplotter
Thanks, I will consider it if that DVB-T dongle will fail. First I want to try it and make very cheap navigation. I see tutorial from openplotter developers that they also support that DVB-T dongle but I can't find that options on my openplotter instsllation.
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...receiver.html#
Przemko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 14:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The radio receiver will need additional power or powered USB hub. When I was playing with this on my 3B it kept shutting down the pi due to the power draw.
A 2A power supply will easily power a RPI3B with a DVBT dongle + GPS and serial converter.

/M
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 15:02   #19

Quote:
I try today to connect DVB-T reciver to Rpi but failed. On my ubuntu laptop it works fine but on Rpi when I start opencpn I see info that Opencpn need access to serial ports. There is no port in system. Install drivers for serial and connect to usb ports. I add user pi to dialout and tty group but that doesn't work.
A DVBT device (rtl-sdr) needs a radio decoder, it is not a serial device and will not present a serial port to the host system.

Are you using the ocpn sdr plugin or a separate AIS decoder like rtl_ais?

/M
Old 19-04-2020, 15:13   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Thanks, I will consider it if that DVB-T dongle will fail. First I want to try it and make very cheap navigation. I see tutorial from openplotter developers that they also support that DVB-T dongle but I can't find that options on my openplotter instsllation.
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...receiver.html#
2a power supply will power the pi but not the pi and a DVB-T. Even with a 2A power supply you'll see the little "lightening bolt" which indicates that there isn't enough amperage. a Pi 3b really needs a 3A power supply to be happy. Better to provide the DVB-T with additional external power.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 15:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
2a power supply will power the pi but not the pi and a DVB-T. Even with a 2A power supply you'll see the little "lightening bolt" which indicates that there isn't enough amperage. a Pi 3b really needs a 3A power supply to be happy. Better to provide the DVB-T with additional external power.
Sorry, you are wrong. There are however many PS that don’t live up to the stated amperage but that is a different issue. A PS that actually delivers 2A is enough.

I manage a network of over 120 such units so I have quite a lot of data on this. Many of them have multible DVBT dongles and NONE of them require 3A supplies. With 2 or 3 dongles a 2.4A supply could be a good idea for MTBF optimization, but they will run on 2A as well.

/M
Old 20-04-2020, 06:50   #22

Hi, guys. I have OTG Hub with power supply so that is not problem. Problem is that I must wait to upgrade openplotter because new version don't support that RTL-SDR plugin. I have to wait for touch screen for my Rpi come from china and that pandemic ends so it's not problem now. I hope they upgrade openplotter until that.
Regards Przemko
Przemko is offline   Reply With Quote