Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 00:23   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.6 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Dear Thomas,

Please do not give me any more Linux classes as I am somewhat allergic to Linux talk.

You have seen the picture attached, you should know what I am talking about.

I suggest you reach out to the web and find who said "Any product that needs a manual to work is broken."

Then come back and tell me you know better.

;-)

Cheers,
b.
lthough I think you're being too scathing, the truth is that you're a little bit right.

As an experienced Linux user I have to say that the use of the PPAs indicated in the manual has not always worked for me, especially in the most recent versions and/or over Rpi. I have often had to struggle with dependency issues and find my way by trying repositories of different versions of Ubuntu or Raspbian to make it work without having to compile from the source.

As a result I have become accustomed to compiling, but I think that the use of an APPimage type package might be useful for those who are reluctant to read the manuals.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:24   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

True said.

I used to be negative towards Linux (and the way Linux gurus tend to respond to questions posted at Linux forums by anything but stellar coders).

But now this may be past. I set Ubuntu 18 on one machine her and it not only works as advertised but also has solutions that may help Linux regain some ground lost to proprietary systems. It actually WORKS VERY WELL now.

So, I do like the way it is now possible to simply type the name of the App I want into the Software box. Then just click 'Install'. And that's that. Just like Google Play or Windows App shop or Apple's one.

This is the way it should be done. Why ask ignorant people like me to open Terminal window, type sudo apt get install WHATEVER.

I believe adding OpenCPN to this Ubuntu App Shop is well worthwhile.

Is it difficult?

Is there anything I can do to add OpenCPN to Ubuntu Software "shop"?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:03   #18

Boat: Nordisk Familjebåt, 30ft

"
Quote:
Any product that needs a manual to work is broken."

Then come back and tell me you know better.
Well, I do. "Product" is quite an all-encompassing word. A hammer is a "product" and a piece of software is a "product".

I write commercial software for a living and yes, manuals are needed for complex periods.

A very long time ago, I unpacked a piece of HiFi equipment and on top was a small note, saying:

Before your try it your way, try it our way - Read the instruction manual, Please!

I printed out and read all of the OpenCPN manuals before installing. Yes, it did help
AndersG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:45   #19

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersG View Post
"

Well, I do. "Product" is quite an all-encompassing word. A hammer is a "product" and a piece of software is a "product".

I write commercial software for a living and yes, manuals are needed for complex periods.

A very long time ago, I unpacked a piece of HiFi equipment and on top was a small note, saying:

Before your try it your way, try it our way - Read the instruction manual, Please!

I printed out and read all of the OpenCPN manuals before installing. Yes, it did help
Ever heard the word intuitive? If the user intuitively do the right thing it is OK, otherwise the product is broken.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:51   #20

Quote:
Ever heard the word intuitive?
Different thing completely. Yes, everything should be intuitive. An UI should be intuitive, but with a complex product there will always be things that you simply cannot guess.
Old 16-08-2018, 00:01   #21
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

the word "intuitive" is absolutely meaningless in the software world. It only works in the context of what a particular user has seen. If you have used android different things are "intuitive" than if you have used ios. "Carriage Return" is only "intuitive" if you have used a typewriter, the little disk icon for storage is only "intuitive" if you remember floppy disks. Paper charts have a "manual" to explain the symbols.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 01:32   #22

Boat: Amel Sharki

Sometimes it is needed on a boat to act immediately. If you first have to read the manual it is too late...
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 02:47   #23

Completely different issue. If you never read the docs, then you are bound to run the system in a suboptimal way. If you read the docs, then you have a better chance of understanding the system and a better chance of setting it up properly and using it properly.
Old 16-08-2018, 04:16   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

But Anders: I am not running systems in optimal way. I am sailing.

Running systems in optimal ways is a coder, a developer, a geek thing (with all due respect to all geeks, developers and coders).

I too write, develop and build soft- and hardware and I am often forced to use Linux' twisted ways to achieve what I want. But this is not my point. I know this part of Linux, and of any other system, will be with us to sort out things.

I am talking about plain user experience and how an everyday man and woman get things done on everyday machines (mostly an oversize phone or maybe a tablet these days).

The way to get anything added to the OS is we go to the 'Store' App on our OS, we type the functionality or the name of the App we want. Then the OS gives up the options and we click one and it is added to our device. We do not dabble with command lines. Not since Win 95 I think.

I assume you have some kind of smartphone around, or a Win 10 laptop, or maybe an Apple laptop. Have you not noticed the "Shop" App there? (E.g. in Android this is named Google Play).

This is a user and OS non-specific thing. This is how the everyday user uses the devices today.

We need to understand we are not developing for other developers. We are building things for the general public. So we better watch and see how the general public uses the devices at hand.

I do insist OpenCPN is added to Software search in Ubuntu. Go try see what experience you get. I think it is THE way to go.

Of course you and I read the docs. But how typical as users are we?

If there is anything I can do towards this end PLS just let me know what I can do.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:37   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Barnakiel:

Just put this command in a terminal window....

Quote:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:opencpn/opencpn
and after a few seconds you can find opencpn in the Ubuntu Store.

pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 23:01   #26

Boat: HR34

This version installed fine on both by W10 laptops, but they both changed the default track history colour from Magenta (nearly) to the default highlight colour yellow. It could be changed back by changing highlight colour picker to magenta but not ticking the show highlight box.

Is this a new feature? Yellow for tracks are a poor choice as they get lost with light circles.

Where is the default track history colour set - I thought it would be in opencpn.ini, but I can't see it!

Richard
ratsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:40   #27

Boat: Tiger Marine 48 feet motoryacht
Send a message via Skype™ to fboz

I've successfully upgraded to 4.8.6 and everything looks fine including charts etc. However as soon as I plug my GPS receiver Global Sat BU-353S4 into my usb port then it will track my movements but I can no longer operate any functions of the opencpn such as zoom in or out or anything else. I have 3 indentical GPS and I have tried swapping and checking that it has the latest driver but no fix. tried reinstalling 4.8.6 and no change.
when I need a different zoom I need to unplug GPS close opencpn, bring it back up select my zoom level and then replug my GPS.

I need help. I've used Opencpn form last 8 years and sent in contributions and always used same GPS with great results.

My platform is Windows 10
Thankss you
fboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48   #28

Boat: HR34

Does reinstalling the previous version resolve the problem?
When you say reinstall, did you do a clean install or just the upgrade?
Richard
ratsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:21   #29
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And remember that you can run parallel installs of OpenCPN as well without problems.
Just pay a little bit of attention when installing plug-ins in order to get those into the intended version.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:30   #30

Boat: Tiger Marine 48 feet motoryacht
Send a message via Skype™ to fboz

I did a clean install of 4.8.4 and same problem and then I did a clean install of 4.8.6 no fix Then i did upgrade and no fix.

Always problem is when I plug the GPS I lose all functions except it will navigate and follow boat on screen
fboz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn