Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 00:52   #271

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

As the BR24radar_pi 1.2 release may still crash at start-up on very slow Windows machines, I give here a link to my the latest sources (02-06-2015) where this potential crash has been solved:
https://github.com/douwefokkema/BR24radar_pi
A binary for OCPN 4.0 on Windows is attached (remove the .pdf extension such that you still have the .dll) and copy is to the plugins directory of Opencpn.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf br24radar_pi.dll.pdf (279.5 KB, 115 views)
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:19   #272

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Douwe does your repos have Pavel's latest language and packaging? -I suppose I could figure this out, but I this is easier.
--
https://github.com/nohal/BR24radar_pi
also looks like there is no pull request.
https://github.com/nohal
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:31   #273

Does it look to you like your repos is up to date with Pavels? - It looks like it to me.
https://github.com/nohal/BR24radar_p...fokkema:master
Old 10-06-2015, 03:52   #274

Douwe, uploaded to Opencpn Beta File Thingie, your fix to for v4.0 and compiled for v4.1.602 and uploaded it.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04   #275

Boat: Najad 34

Rick...
Patience, patience....
Douwe's excellent change is a beta, please test and comment.
The official BR24Radar_pi is still github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi where Douwe's change and the last translation updates, so far only Swedish, are in the pull requests chain. We can all test and comment the beta until Canboat is back from the recent sail trip.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:16   #276

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean

Experiensing trouble when connecting 3G radar (Built it Dec 2014) to Linux version PC running OpenCPN 4.0 and BR24 Radar 1.1 OpenGL is OK, position and heading too...
No IP adress is shown and radar not present.

When I move serial port with position/heading and ethernet cable to Windows8 on a LapTop all is working well. Looks like I must have neglected proper setup of the ethernetport on the Linux... ? Any one to lead me through the mystery... I am running the Navigatrix packet... Regards Geir/SY Ocean Viking, Norway
la5zo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15   #277

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by la5zo View Post
Experiensing trouble when connecting 3G radar (Built it Dec 2014) to Linux version PC running OpenCPN 4.0 and BR24 Radar 1.1 OpenGL is OK, position and heading too...
No IP adress is shown and radar not present.

When I move serial port with position/heading and ethernet cable to Windows8 on a LapTop all is working well. Looks like I must have neglected proper setup of the ethernetport on the Linux... ? Any one to lead me through the mystery... I am running the Navigatrix packet... Regards Geir/SY Ocean Viking, Norway
I have the 4G RADAR working with Navigatrix (latest version). No configuration of the network was required on my Laptop, when I plugged in the RADAR Ethernet cable I got a message "Wired Network Connected".
Are you getting that message?

Have you been able to use the Ethernet to connect to something else? Perhaps it is disabled in BIOS or something.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:37   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Have you been able to use the Ethernet to connect to something else? Perhaps it is disabled in BIOS or something.
I have used the ehternet port to connect to internet via a router. Configed with DHCP.
It worked 100% OK. I changed from DHCP to manual and set the ip adr as 10.37.129.2 (which worked fine on my W8 laptop) The "startup" window says it is using eth0 with the above adress to search for the radar, but it never appears. When i move the ip cable and serial cabke (gps/hdg) to the w8 laptop it works fine. So there is some ip port issue on the linux machine.

Geir
Old 10-06-2015, 13:06   #279

Boat: Najad 34

Gier..
Have you tried keeping the DHCP configuration? That works for me on my Linux. At least I've never set up a manual address. I don't think you need it to receive UDP.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 22:30   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Gier..
Have you tried keeping the DHCP configuration? That works for me on my Linux. At least I've never set up a manual address. I don't think you need it to receive UDP.
Håkan
Tried with DHCP on. The port starts searching for an IP adress when the PC is turned on. If I connect to a router it obrains an IP adr. When the cable is then moved from the router to the radar it starts looking for an IP adr again.... so, no succes there....

I thought it could have been a firewall issue, but it is not used. Somehow the port does'nt accept the UDP brodcast ? I managed to get a few seconds of radar when moving the IP cable from the W8 PC to the Navigatrix/Ubuntu PC. Frustrating problem....
Old 13-06-2015, 00:09   #281

Boat: Ovni 385

Must be some problem with the port settings. But why do you take the router out? Just connect both radar and (all) computers to the router. Also the radar will get a IP address through DHCP. Added benefit is that with modern routers the radar may work fine over WiFi (it does with my Linksys router), though theoretically it should not work. Most routers work directly on 12V. If you still have a Navico display it will also directly connect to the router.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 13:58   #282

Well, I have come to the stage where the radar is found by the eth0 port but "radar is sending data" remains. No green light. I turned on the emulator and the test picture was very unstable, looks like it looses sync and just parts of it comes up. Could be my pc is too slow or the display card not good enough. Tried the recommened changes in opencpn.conf but no joy. Looks like my LaTop have to sign on as 1st officer this year.

Geir
Old 15-06-2015, 08:59   #283

I updated to openCpn version 4.1.603, updated to Navico Radarv1.1 which then notified me that it wasn't compatible with ver 4.1. Then tried the "Plugins for 4.1" page, downloading the Navico BR24 Radar Setup package .That also notified me that it was incompatible with 4.1 and deleted it from the plugin directory.

What am I missing? Should I go back to ver 4.0 for the nonce? Sorry if I missed any discussion, but I did check.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 09:20   #284

Boat: Phantom 19

Boris...
The plugin download page got corrupted during editing. Fixed now. You downloaded the objsearch plugin instead of br24.

Sorry for the annoyance

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:53   #285

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Rick...
Patience, patience....
Douwe's excellent change is a beta, please test and comment.
The official BR24Radar_pi is still github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi where Douwe's change and the last translation updates, so far only Swedish, are in the pull requests chain. We can all test and comment the beta until Canboat is back from the recent sail trip.
Håkan rightly points out that I am now in mostly-sailing mode, and not online for up to a week at a time, but besides Douwe's current efforts are really not ready for prime time yet. Not that he doesn't claim otherwise! Douwe, Håkan and I seem to be growing into a nice development team with Douwe very active on trying out new approaches (some of which will turn out to be excellent, and some will sadly may not work so well in practice). I'd still like to reverse engineer more of the non-image data that the radar sends out so that we may more reliably show what the actual settings of the radar are. This is only an issue for owners that also use a Navico MFD.

So stay tuned, we will continue work on the plugin and some nice improvements are planned. However, this does not mean that you cannot use the current version. In fact, we recommend the production release for everyone besides software developers.

Oh and by the way, the sailing is fabulous. You all should try it some time
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad