Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 07:55   #1

Opencpn SeaTalkng Networking

Looking for assistance connecting to NMEA 2000 network.

I currently have a Raymarine SeaTalkng (NMEA 2000) network setup on my boat with the following instruments connected to the Backbone.

(1) Raymarine EV Autopilot

(2) Lowrance HD chart plotter connected using a devicenet cable (i.e NMEA 2000 connector on one end and white seatalkng connector on the other)
The chart plotter provides GPS, water depth and water temperature to the backbone.

(3) Raymarine AIS650.

The network is connected to a mini computer via ACTSENSE NGW-1-STNG.

As it stands opencpn can control the autopilot. Its also using the GPS data from the network. However I cannot get opencpn to display any AIS data or water depth data. I know the AIS data is available because its displayed correctly on the chart plotter and the water depth is displayed on the autopilot display. I have the PC com port set up with no filtering on the input sentences at 4800 baud. (this is where I'm lost, the Actisense as I understand it converts NMEA 2000 data to 0183 format (and vice versa) in this case at 4800 baud so it can be used by the PC. But isn't the AIS suppose to be at 38500 baud??..at least with the old 0183 system. I didn't think that applied to NMEA 2000)

AIS is well developed in opencpn. So how is the connection to NMEA 2000 accomplished using a single connection from the PC to seatalkng? The data is available on the network so I should be able to use it.

Can anyone offer some information or experience with this.

Thanks
osprey_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:09   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Opencpn SeaTalkng Networking

Contact Actisense support. There are multiple versions of the NGW-1, and not all of them support AIS. However, you can flash the firmware to enable it. The AIS firmware is a free download.

Edit:
With the NMEA reader software (also a free download) you can change the data rate of the Actisense to 38400.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:27   #3

To get ais you would need a 2nd actisense at 38,400 baud and a 2nd serial port into pc.

Water depth should be working now.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Contact Actisense support. There are multiple versions of the NGW-1, and not all of them support AIS. However, you can flash the firmware to enable it. The AIS firmware is a free download.

Edit:
With the NMEA reader software (also a free download) you can change the data rate of the Actisense to 38400.
Abd then the pilot stops working. He needs 2
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:46   #5

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping to use one connection to the network. I just noticed in the Actisense manual it states that both the standard conversions and the AIS conversions firmware can be installed in any of the different versions of the NGW-1 hardware. I will contact actisense support to see if that would work. If I still have to go to 38400 then as was mention I will lose the Autopilot.

Many opencpn users must have encountered this situation.

Not sure why opencpn is not picking up the depth from the network. There are two depth option on the dashboard neither one works. This is probably a different issue.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:28   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Don't you have nmea0183 out and in? My very very old Raymarine Autopilot has that, it will provide a 4800 baud connection, but not a faster one for the AIS. You may not need a second Actisense.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:25   #7

Boat: Halmatic 30

Use the SignalK data server software then you use and convert the data in all the differents formats.

It also acts as a multiplexer.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:48   #8

Well I got the water depth and temperature to display in opencpn. That was a filtering issue. I had selected to accept all the data sentences available in opencpn however the depth and temperature do not seem to be in the list. If you leave the filtering bar where you enter the sentence blank then it displays depth and temp ok.

I see on my AIS 650 there is an option to output AIS data as 0183 at 38400 using the data wires. That would work on a separate PC com port. Not my preferred option but cheaper than another actisense NGW.

Another option might be the yachtdevice W2K-1 which is a NMEA 2000 to WiFi bi-directional gateway. Might be nice to have all your NMEA 2000 data available on WiFi for mobile tablet, iphones etc.

Anyone with experience connecting to one of those using opencpn? I'm not sure how the network connections work in opencpn. I don't think the baud rate is an issue in this case. I thought that was only a serial com port issue. I might be wrong though.
Old 11-04-2021, 18:32   #9

Osprey
Having nmea0183 via wifi is very useful. In addition you can use vnc on the tablet to mimic the rpi or pc.
Old 12-04-2021, 00:47   #10

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Use the SignalK data server software then you use and convert the data in all the differents formats.

It also acts as a multiplexer.

Bram
You can import all the data nmea183, nmea2000 etc in the SignalK server software.

This data can be used direct in OpenCPN. SignalK input is an input option with one line (localhost) to the OpenCPN for all the available data.

Routes etc from OpenCPN can be send also to the Signal server to be used for other data formats outputs. Like steering gear or instrument displays.

SignalK is based on HTML and can be used in every browser. Even over internet.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:56   #11

I will have to check that option out. I have no knowledge of Signalk but it sounds very powerful.
Old 12-04-2021, 13:10   #12

Well, after excellent support from Actisense I was able to upgrade my NGW-1-STNG to NGW-1-STNG-AIS with a simple firmware update operating at 38400 baud. I now have all my data on a NMEA 2000 network.

With Opencpn Com port set to 38400 I can now assess and display all data and control the autopilot. So if your autopilot is on your NMEA 2000 network it will respond to commands at 38400. To the experts this is a no-brainer! as I found out.

So with my network all set up, the next step is to go wireless. Actisense has the W2K-1 NMEA 2000 to WiFi Gateway but its not bi-directional. Apparently an upgrade is in the works. YachtDevices YDWG-02 unit may work, I will have to check that out.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Old 12-04-2021, 19:46   #13

Boat: Nauticat 32

I use this: https://www.rusoku.com/products/toucan-marine. It can work with OpenCPN and the TouCAN plugin or with signalk, which is how I use it. I’ve also had good luck with YachtDevices YDNU-02 serial connector and the YDWG WiFi device. Both work great. The YDWG essentially puts your SeatalkNG network onto a WiFi router.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
I use this: https://www.rusoku.com/products/toucan-marine. It can work with OpenCPN and the TouCAN plugin or with signalk, which is how I use it. I’ve also had good luck with YachtDevices YDNU-02 serial connector and the YDWG WiFi device. Both work great. The YDWG essentially puts your SeatalkNG network onto a WiFi router.

Steve, could you provide a short description for how this translates Seatalk (for the Supplemental Hardware Manual, under Seatalk) then we will provide a link to your plugin documentation. ...So I can add that to the manual.

Thanks.
Old 17-04-2021, 09:54   #15

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Steve, could you provide a short description for how this translates Seatalk (for the Supplemental Hardware Manual, under Seatalk) then we will provide a link to your plugin documentation. ...So I can add that to the manual.

Thanks.
I think you sent me a link to edit somewhere. I'll check my emails. I've been away from the boat for a few months, and am now back. I'll take a look at that section and see if I can figure it out.

Steve
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, seatalk, work