Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 08:38   #361

Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Just copying library files from one place to another is really not good practice and can lead to all sorts of problems.
Thanks for the response!

I laughed at the quote... Yep learned that the hard way.

I then spent the better part of my free time in the last two days just reinstalling the Odroid U3 from a new image. Which didn't work. I figured I was doing something wrong and tried it every way that I could find anywhere. The I found out that it was a bad realease from the odroid folks. So they fixed that and did a new release, and I have a brand new out of the box release working on my odroid.

If I type glxgears into a terminal window I get a set of gears spinning about and the following in the terminal window.

odroid@odroid:~$ glxgears
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: malformed or no PCI ID
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: exynos_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: exynos
653 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.483 FPS
655 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.920 FPS
664 frames in 5.0 seconds = 132.635 FPS
651 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.026 FPS

So here are my noob questions:
1> Are the above set of errors normal?
2> Do I need to install a glshim? (I don't actually know what that means but it is in the recipe from the other person that got the Odroid working).
3> If #2 is yes, then which one.

I don't want to have to reflash the image again as it does take forever, so I am reticent to try installing again until someone (Wrong? :-) ) can point me in the Right direction.

Thanks
Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 13:24   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
Thanks for the response!

I laughed at the quote... Yep learned that the hard way.

I then spent the better part of my free time in the last two days just reinstalling the Odroid U3 from a new image. Which didn't work. I figured I was doing something wrong and tried it every way that I could find anywhere. The I found out that it was a bad realease from the odroid folks. So they fixed that and did a new release, and I have a brand new out of the box release working on my odroid.

If I type glxgears into a terminal window I get a set of gears spinning about and the following in the terminal window.

odroid@odroid:~$ glxgears
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: malformed or no PCI ID
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen ${ORIGIN}/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (${ORIGIN}/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/exynos_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/exynos_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: exynos_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: exynos
653 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.483 FPS
655 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.920 FPS
664 frames in 5.0 seconds = 132.635 FPS
651 frames in 5.0 seconds = 130.026 FPS

So here are my noob questions:
1> Are the above set of errors normal?
2> Do I need to install a glshim? (I don't actually know what that means but it is in the recipe from the other person that got the Odroid working).

I don't want to have to reflash the image again as it does take forever, so I am reticent to try installing again until someone (Wrong? :-) ) can point me in the Right direction.

Thanks
Guy
Typically when you get error messages like this, it's because either a dependency (package) is missing or the library file is not where the program expects it to be. I recommend you search the net with terms like 'what provides exynos_dri.so'? Look in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/arm-linux/gnueabihf for the file. Hints as to what you're looking for can be found in the message above. 'exynos_dri.so' suggests to look for 'dri' and exyno*s. Duck into any file system that may be a likely candidate, even if 'dri' and 'exynos' in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf. are not in the name. My suspicion is a package is missing though.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 11:28   #363

Quote:
Typically when you get error messages like this, it's because either a dependency (package) is missing or the library file is not where the program expects it to be. I recommend you search the net with terms like 'what provides exynos_dri.so'? Look in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/arm-linux/gnueabihf for the file. Hints as to what you're looking for can be found in the message above. 'exynos_dri.so' suggests to look for 'dri' and exyno*s. Duck into any file system that may be a likely candidate, even if 'dri' and 'exynos' in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf. are not in the name. My suspicion is a package is missing though.
I failed to address all of your questions, mainly because I don't know the answers.

Is the output you mention normal?

Considering the gears display, perhaps. boat_alexandra has said regarding OpenCPN running on my Xoom in a chroot environment, that without glshim any improvement I see in the image and speed when loading charts or scrolling is done by software, not hardware. So, he suggests I am not realizing the full benefit hardware acceleration can provide. The gears indicate OpenGL is working, but perhaps not at the optimal level possible absent glshim.

Do you need glshim? I'm satisfied without it. But, OpenCPN may run faster on my Xoom than your device without it.

As I admitted in in an earlier post, I'm out of my league here.

One more comment though. A very versatile, light weight file manager that runs in a terminal is available. It's called Midnight Commander and is installed using apt-get or yum by calling for 'mc'. It's search function is unsurpassed in speed, sophistication and simplicity. Will make quick work finding files like 'exynos_dri.so' or at least confirm they are not found. Refer to the functions along the bottom for accessing Midnight Commander's features. Many are contained in the Menu along the top... If my memory serves me well, F2 takes you to the menus.
Old 17-08-2014, 08:31   #364

Regarding your questions about glshim:

There's apparently only one and compilation produces a version of OpenGL, libGL.so.1. Visit the link below for how it's obtained, compiled and installed. Don't forget to create the link, libGL.so.o to libGL.so.1

Building and installing on Cubieboard 2 with HW acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 18-08-2014, 09:42   #365

Quote:
Regarding your questions about glshim:

There's apparently only one and compilation produces a version of OpenGL, libGL.so.1. Visit the link below for how it's obtained, compiled and installed. Don't forget to create the link, libGL.so.o to libGL.so.1

Building and installing on Cubieboard 2 with HW acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage
I built 'glshim' per the instructions at the link above. Copied libGL.so.1 to /usr/local/lib. Built 'glues' and copied libGLU.so.1 to /usr/local/lib. Copied the 'includes' EGL, GLES,GL, KHR and SDL to /usr/local/includes. In my last post I erred in saying the link to libGL.so.1 should be libGL.so.o . Should be libGL.so. But, for some unknown reason 'make' kept reporting no rule to make libGL.so. So, I renamed libGL.so.1 to libGL.so and it worked. Go figger. Build of OpenCPN completed successfully.

With 'glxgears' running here's the output, which if I were to post all of it from the start ranged between 70 fps and what you see below.

1259 frames in 5.0 seconds = 251.788 FPS
1229 frames in 5.0 seconds = 245.722 FPS
1404 frames in 5.0 seconds = 280.727 FPS
891 frames in 5.0 seconds = 178.077 FPS
1327 frames in 5.0 seconds = 265.344 FPS
1264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 252.714 FPS
1439 frames in 5.0 seconds = 287.671 FPS
1233 frames in 5.0 seconds = 246.552 FPS
1019 frames in 5.0 seconds = 203.665 FPS
1641 frames in 5.0 seconds = 328.153 FPS
996 frames in 5.0 seconds = 198.964 FPS
1478 frames in 5.0 seconds = 295.464 FPS
1328 frames in 5.0 seconds = 265.550 FPS
1433 frames in 5.0 seconds = 286.569 FPS
1678 frames in 5.0 seconds = 335.540 FPS
1667 frames in 5.0 seconds = 333.256 FPS
1660 frames in 5.0 seconds = 331.963 FPS
1645 frames in 5.0 seconds = 328.891 FPS
1662 frames in 5.0 seconds = 332.279 FPS
1673 frames in 5.0 seconds = 334.440 FPS
1060 frames in 5.0 seconds = 211.989 FPS
1550 frames in 5.0 seconds = 309.952 FPS
1279 frames in 5.0 seconds = 255.751 FPS
1675 frames in 5.0 seconds = 334.992 FPS
1444 frames in 5.0 seconds = 288.763 FPS
1305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 260.911 FPS
1691 frames in 5.0 seconds = 338.055 FPS
1044 frames in 5.0 seconds = 208.700 FPS
762 frames in 5.0 seconds = 152.229 FPS
1480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 295.988 FPS
1673 frames in 5.0 seconds = 334.417 FPS
1239 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.630 FPS
1273 frames in 5.0 seconds = 254.486 FPS
1003 frames in 5.0 seconds = 200.388 FPS
1641 frames in 5.0 seconds = 328.056 FPS
1484 frames in 5.0 seconds = 296.696 FPS
1321 frames in 5.0 seconds = 264.111 FPS
1686 frames in 5.0 seconds = 337.191 FPS

Here's the opencpn.log:

09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Mesa X11
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Using Vertexbuffer Objects
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> FBO Stencil buffer unavailable
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Using 3dfx fxt1 compression
09:00:29 PDT: OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (6:1)
09:00:30 PDT: ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 343 MBytes

So, is accelerated hardware working, or is noticeable improvement in display quality and speed still due to software?
Old 18-08-2014, 12:37   #366

I think I coppied something to the wrong place.

I get this :
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:1010 (ADD_EXECUTABLE):
Cannot generate a safe runtime search path for target opencpn because files
in some directories may conflict with libraries in implicit directories:

runtime library [libGL.so.1] in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf may be hidden by files in:
/usr/local/lib

I should have created a link to something somewhere instead of what I did?

Some of these libraries may not be found correctly.

-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/odroid/OpenCPN/build
Old 18-08-2014, 13:03   #367

Quote:
I think I coppied something to the wrong place.

I get this :
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:1010 (ADD_EXECUTABLE):
Cannot generate a safe runtime search path for target opencpn because files
in some directories may conflict with libraries in implicit directories:

runtime library [libGL.so.1] in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf may be hidden by files in:
/usr/local/lib

I should have created a link to something somewhere instead of what I did?

Some of these libraries may not be found correctly.

-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/odroid/OpenCPN/build
I've never encountered that warning before, but experience suggests cmake has picked up both library locations /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf and /usr/local/lib and is simply reporting there may be a conflict between them. If you open your CmakeCache.txt file in a file editing program like 'gedit' you'll be able to see which of the library locations cmake is using. If it's /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf you'll want to change it to /usr/local/lib. You'll also want to make sure the 'includes' paths for OpenGL and OpenGLU are set to /usr/local/include. Once accomplished, even if you get the warning again, I'd be pretty confident the build is successful. Attempting to launch glxgears will be your first clue.
Old 20-08-2014, 01:30   #368
MAd

Boat: Vindoe 50SL, 35feet

All,
HW acceleration on the ODROID with their standard image won't work without glues and glshim installed (both provide essential libraries) AND setting the correct symbolic links. When this is done (as described in my HowTo in this thread) you will get >1.000 fps with glxgears.

Please be aware that my description doesn't show the full commands for setting the symbolic links, so please check the man page for ln to understand what to do. If you still don't know I need to update my description, but I'm out for Sailing so I can't do (and check with my ODROID if it's correct) before end of next week.

Regards,
Martin
MAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:07   #369

Ok I spent an number of increasingly frustrating days trying to get this to work with the latest os which shipped with my Odroid. 14.04.1lts.

The OS is broken which caused about half of the problems. The other half were caused by my not knowing how to set a symbolic link. I am still not exactly sure how to do that. I am going to try to figure out what directory the links are created in, and then try to do an install using the odroid recipe, and then get back here with hopefully a final recipe that has been edited and corrected by MAD.

Any help on the ln command would be appriciated.

;-)
Guy
Old 20-08-2014, 15:59   #370

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Quote:
Ok I spent an number of increasingly frustrating days trying to get this to work with the latest os which shipped with my Odroid. 14.04.1lts.

The OS is broken which caused about half of the problems. The other half were caused by my not knowing how to set a symbolic link. I am still not exactly sure how to do that. I am going to try to figure out what directory the links are created in, and then try to do an install using the odroid recipe, and then get back here with hopefully a final recipe that has been edited and corrected by MAD.

Any help on the ln command would be appriciated.

;-)
Guy
Guy:
Here is how to use the symbolic link command:
sudo ln -s /path/of/file/to/be/linked /path/to/link

Such as:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLU.so.1 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLU.so

Thanks,
Freddie
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 21:03   #371

Martin or Freddie,

Have you tried running opencpn in the newest os for the odroid 14.04.1 lts ubuntu?

I decided to flash a card with 13.10 and install using the package that is setup for the odroid by one of the guys at the odroid forum. (ODROID Forum • View topic - Odroid for sailboat navigation? Help a non-techie?) It worked perfectly. I have opencpn up and running on the odroid and it is leaps and bounds faster than the raspberry pi.

However nothing I do including trying your recipe or the prepackaged install will get it to run on 14.04.1.

I don't have the know how to figure out exactly what is going wrong between the two packages. I think something is build incorrectly in the 14.04.1 OS. (Past experience of this build when it would not boot into the graphical User Interface when first started makes me very suspicious of it anyway)

14.04.1 offers a lot of improvements over 13.10 and I would love to be able to use the latest and greatest ubuntu, but I don't know where to start.

Here is what is returned when trying to run under 14.04.1:
odroid@odroid:~$ opencpn

(opencpn:2822): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_new: assertion 'GDK_IS_VISUAL (visual)' failed

(opencpn:2822): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_colormap: assertion 'GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(opencpn:2822): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
libGL: built on Jul 23 2014 07:28:00
libEGL warning: Could not open driver /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/egl/egl_gallium.so (libOpenVG.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open armsoc (search paths /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri:${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
glXGetProcAddress: glGenFramebuffers not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glGetCompressedTexImage not found.

If Opencpn option to use opengl is checked the screen is gray in the middle, with a usable toolbar etc. If opengl is not checked then the opecpn works fine but the lag in graphics processing is very noticeable.

I don't even know how to check to see what is going on with drivers, links, or glshim or glues to see what the difference is.

If you coudl try 14.04.1 and see if you can make it work I would appriciate it.

My next part of the project can start on 13.10 which is to get my instruments and radar working using the odroid.... So that is going to be next. I think I have to figure out how to compile and install the radar plugin. More learning is cool, but the 14.04.1 is getting frustrating.

Thanks,
Guy
Old 21-08-2014, 08:44   #372

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Guy:
I do not have an Odroid. I looked at it but it does not have a Sata port which is required for my use.

I have 2 CubieTrucks, a Wandboard Quad, and 2 Udoo Quads.

Thanks,
Freddie
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 11:46   #373

From over on the Raspberry forums a new VC4 driver is being developed now that Broadcom has released the source code for the SOC used in the Rpi:

by mimi123 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:52 pm
There will be a full OpenGL 2.1 driver which is in beta now by Eric Anholt.

It is Linux KMS and Mesa , supports X11&Wayland&...

This seems to suggest that the pi will natively support OpenGL2.1 applications once the drivers are ported to Raspian by the Foundation.

Will this provide HW Accelerated OpenCPN for the Rpi? If so I am happy to wait for it.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc1Njg

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:03   #374

Boat: Stamas Tarpon 250

I followed the new instruction and now have it OpenCPN running on my cubbie A20 clone

IboxA20

I am using a usb gps by pharos
moorsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:25   #375

I have Open CPN running well on the odroid, and would go this route again. I think there is still an OPencpn bug with vector charts, but I am hoping that bug will get worked out.

I am going to post a recipe here for getting it running on the odroid. The speed is very usable, I am gonig to work on getting all the instruments up and running today, and see if I can compile the radar plugin to work and plug in the Garmin 18 HD.

I will keep you posted.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the raspberry pi libraries, but I would think it would be possible. However I would spend the $65.00 on the odroid instead of the pi for the extra speed right now.

Guy

Tags
opencpn