Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 11:43   #286

Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

MAd, I also would like to do this on the U3. Could you please post instructions for the U3.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 01:32   #287

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAd View Post
Hi everybody,
after installing OpenCPN with HW acceleration on a CB2 I recognized that it is still a bit slow with 1080p resolution, so I tried an ODROID U3 (Quadcore1.7 with 2GB RAM and MALI GPU). I managed to install everything by using the instructions for CB2 and setting some symbolic links in the lib folders to make sure OpenCPN uses the right libs. GLXGears states 1150fps and OpenCPN is indeed pretty fast with 1080p resolution. I've set the map cache to 256MB and compiled some bitmap cards from OpenSeaMap which work mostly fine. If someone is interested in the instructions how to set it up in detail, I can post them.
Regards,
Martin
Are there any differences at all to the setup from the cubie truck?

I imagine it would work well because both use mali graphics. What is the map cache? I am not familiar with this term.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:05   #288
MAd

Boat: Vindoe 50SL, 35feet

No, it's the same setup as for CB with some manual work. Sorry for the confusion, I meant the "Texture Memorey Size", I've set this to 256MB. I haven't tried it, do you advise to set this to the highest value possible? With 2GB of RAM I assume I could enlarge it to 1GB w/o problems, but does this make sense?
Regards,
Martin
MAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:18   #289
MAd

Installation of OpenCPN on ODROID U3

This is what I did:
1) Create SD-card with "xubuntu-13.10-desktop-armhf_odroidu_20140211.img" from ODROID web page
2) Boot and Auto-Login works fine
3) Expand filesystem (with "sudo odroid-config") and change screen resolution to 1080p
4) Add "setxkbmap de" to .profile (only needed if you want German ;-)
5) sudo apt-get install cmake
6) git clone https://github.com/seandepagnier/glshim.git
7) cmake .
8) make GL
9) sudo cp lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/local/lib/
10) sudo cp -r include/GLES/ /usr/local/include/
11) sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev git-core gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev wx2.8-headers libtinyxml-dev portaudio19-dev
12) git clone https://github.com/ssvb/glues.git
13) cd glues
14) cmake .
15) make
16) sudo cp libGLU.so.1 /usr/local/lib
17) rename /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf libGL.* and libGLU.* (you can also delete them, I kept them if needed later ;-)
18) Create symbolic links to new libs (libGL.so => /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1 and libGLU.so => /usr/local/lib/libGLU.so.1)
19) Create symbolic links to new libs (libGL.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1 and libGLU.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libGLU.so.1)
20) rename /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa libGL.* (you can also delete them, I kept them if needed later ;-)
21) Create symbolic links to new libs (libGL.so => /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1 and libGL.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1)
22) glxgears states about 1150 fps :-)
23) Install nfs-common (I've needed it to copy the charts from my NAS, otherwise you don't need it)
24) Start OpenCPN, turn on "Use Accelerated Graphics" with all options, set Texture Cache to 256MB
25) Import Raster charts, force full DB rebuild (might take some time depending on number and size of charts)
That's it!
Old 17-07-2014, 10:36   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAd View Post
No, it's the same setup as for CB with some manual work. Sorry for the confusion, I meant the "Texture Memorey Size", I've set this to 256MB. I haven't tried it, do you advise to set this to the highest value possible? With 2GB of RAM I assume I could enlarge it to 1GB w/o problems, but does this make sense?
Regards,
Martin
Under normal circumstances you won't get any performance increase for a value higher than 32MB (with compression and compression caching enabled) with 1080p but depends on the resolution of the monitor.

You could experiment and see for yourself. Keep in mind some plugins (like climatology weatherfax etc..) aren't the greatest with video memory so may actually use quite a bit in addition to whatever the global setting is, but even grib plugin uses additional video memory.

Eventually the memory management should be a bit smarter, and in the future the possibilities are unlimited, but for what we are doing now, opencpn doesn't use much more than 512mb of ram in the worst cases. This leaves more memory for other applications and for the kernel to cache disk accesses.
Old 24-07-2014, 10:30   #291

Ok so I have Opencpn working perfectly on my Rspberry Pi, although slow it works well, and is also operating as a tcpip forwarding source for all of my instruments and GPS.

So now I am thinking of doing the cubiboard or other faster micro.

What is the current recommendation from you guys that have some of each of them. What is doing the best right now and should I play with next?

Is going with the CT better than the latest CB or is the CB with the alternate video hardware for the cheap touch screens.

or is the u3 better now?

Thanks,
Guy
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:12   #292

cubie truck with opengl is probably going to be about 6-8 times faster than the raspberry pi without. You could get 2-3 times the performance on the pi using opengl... but the gui will be invisible because the driver isn't really intended to work in x. I considered using a key to toggle opengl so you could fully use the program and get good performance..

I should have a u3 any day now, anything with mali graphics should work well. Of course the u3 is going to be fastest, just look at the specs.
Old 24-07-2014, 15:37   #293

No issues with the U3 and the serial to USB converters?

I need to bring in a lot of NEMA 0183 data.

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Old 25-07-2014, 09:14   #294

Boat: Wasa 410

Sean,
How can you configure cpn on a pi if you can't see the menus?
A keyboard toggle for opengl on the pi would be brilliant. How much work would that be for you?
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 14:58   #295

Not a lot of work but first I want to hear from someone who actually runs opencpn on the pi with hardware acceleration. I am only speculating via vnc and my lcd displays still haven't arrived.
Old 25-07-2014, 15:06   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Not a lot of work but first I want to hear from someone who actually runs opencpn on the pi with hardware acceleration. I am only speculating via vnc and my lcd displays still haven't arrived.
Ok sitting here at my pi connected to my HDMI monitor. How would I do the test for you.

I get a grey screen with no chart on it, but do have a ui for CPN when I select use acceleration.

Tell me what to do.

GUy
:-)
Old 25-07-2014, 19:35   #297

Use these instructions:

Building and installing on Cubieboard 2 with HW acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Except take careful note in the readme file for glshim to follow it as this is special for raspberry pi.
Old 26-07-2014, 02:15   #298
MAd

Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM (ODROID U3)

Just to let you know: My experience with ODROID U3 and OpenCPN is only related to OpenCPN core which is working fine and very fast compared to Cubieboard (both with HW accelerated graphics, U3 with 1080p, CB with 720p). I haven't tried any optional modules, GPS, AIS or anything else yet. I'm waiting for an external GPS mouse to be delivered providing NMEA0183 GPS data via USB, when this works I need to figure out how to connect my NAIS300 providing AIS data via NMEA0183.
Regards,
Martin
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Use these instructions:

Building and installing on Cubieboard 2 with HW acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Except take careful note in the readme file for glshim to follow it as this is special for raspberry pi.
Hi,

I am currently testing the Rpi as a Nav and general purpose marine computer. I have built the latest version for the Pi and installed charts for the UK and NOAA charts about 3.5GB in total.

Everything seems to work fine, AIS/GPS/NMEA data all work fine. I am struggling to understand how to get OpenGL working with OpenCPN and I seem to be in the same position as others.

I may have misunderstood what I have read here so forgive me if that is the case.

Does anyone have a Rpi running OpenCPN in OpenGL mode. I cannot get this to work, (Do I need to build a different version to the one the git gives me?) I just get a blank OpenCPN screen if I enable OpenGL, I do get menus so can turn OpenGL off and then see my charts again. It seems that there may be a way to get this working.

Can someone share a recipe/instructions for the less technically inclined that will enable OpenGL mode please.

Specs:

RPi Model B OC 950 450 450
Raspbian fully updated
OpenCPN version 3.2.2 2013-05-08 (Compiled on the pi)
System running from a Sandisk Cruzer Gold 32GB

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 20:09   #300

Boat: Phantom 19

Spart...
You really must use the latest code from the master branch, it's performance is incomparably higher on low spec hardware and it is where any further optimizations do and will happen.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn