Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 23:56   #166

Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
With the cubie truck and hardware accelerated graphics and optimum branch, the result is faster and smoother graphics than a netbook with an atom processor. I am getting 25 frames per second. With the optimum branch, opencpn uses very little ram (with right options) so having 2gb vs 1gb or even 512mb makes little difference. Of course if you are using the normal beta or without hardware acceleration it will make a big difference.

Then comes raspberry pi.. it's a bit slow at 4-5 frames per second (only 1-2 without hardware acceleration) but I think usable. Of course it depends on the person.

Many future optimizations are also possible I intend to explore.

As far as power goes.. I am using $1.99 85% efficient switching regulator that takes 8-36 volts and outputs 5 volts for up to 3 amps.

I'm looking at potentially building many chart plotters and reselling them to people who don't have the time or skills to configure all the software and hardware. In this way, people who do have the time will have good instructions for how to do everything, and can also customize it to their needs.

The basic idea is to take either raspberry pi, or cubie board, and attach a 5, 7 or 9 inch display. Add a good quality gps, and optional dvi tvb receiver for ais, and a small speaker (for alarms) then put everything in a completely waterproof case so it can work underwater also (so big waves can strike the box) Then probably using a custom membrane keypad to control it. I have about 30 4x4 membrane keypads already.. so maybe these can be used.

The total parts cost is under $100 (raspberry pi based) or up to $200 (cubie with larger screen) for building a single unit. Any suggestions? Let me know if you have any interest.

Anyone with a 3d printer? This can be used this to make the enclosures.
I'm into building my own device ;-)

I would be very interested in having the disk image of a working installation, both cubietruck and RPI.

I do not know howto proceed with my own tries to get RPI with hw accelerated openCPN. I am surprised that the raspbian image does not provide the optimum drivers for the hardware on the RPI or atleast document howto get it running.

Regards
Peter
it-slav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 00:21   #167

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
Sean,
Your link to displays on ebay at
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1535093
and

It is a great idea, but what about viewability of the screen. I looked at your display link, and they don't state the brightness, but I would guess it is really poor. Did you get one to try?
Does it make sense with a watertight enclosure for a device that can only be used on deck at night. Maybe ... but I would like to aim higher...

/Jonas
I have ordered one screen to test. I need screens anyway for many purposes. This is exactly my reason for discussion. These screens are as cheap as possible. A trans-reflective display can cost near $200 but be daylight visible.

It also may be possible to add a lot of additional LEDs to a cheap screen to crank up brightness, and possibly add a mirror to make it trans reflective rather than purely transmissive... not sure yet. As for input, I am also not sure of the best option to.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
No, not on the boat. We using it as our in-house AIS feed. (And some day to test the S-63 stuff on ARM - pending task).
But I think, there shouldn't be any problem.

On the boat underway there is no quick panning or 25 charts at a time.
Happens when planning or playing, but then performance is not a problem neither. Patience perhaps yes... But even then.
Having 75 AIS targets on the screen (1.920 x 1.080) is not an issue.

What me worries more are points like housings and connectors. The bare boards are an easy prey for corrosion, condensation etc.
One will spend easily more on that for a reliable solution than for the boards themselves. Same for displays.

Hubert
Is it using OpenGL?

Regards
Peter
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-slav View Post
I'm into building my own device ;-)

I would be very interested in having the disk image of a working installation, both cubietruck and RPI.

I do not know howto proceed with my own tries to get RPI with hw accelerated openCPN. I am surprised that the raspbian image does not provide the optimum drivers for the hardware on the RPI or atleast document howto get it running.

Regards
Peter
You are so close, please don't give up. You have glxgears working.. ok. Now you must just
Code:
touch /usr/include/GLES/gl.h
and make sure to run cmake again and be sure it detects opengles (right after detecting opengl) and it should work.

Of course, the toolbar and setup windows etc will be hidden... so it's not fully baked but it should work.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:02   #170
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Peter,

this is still the 3.3.13034 version. I compiled it, played bit with it, had a look how to get the GPS and the AIS receiver running - no bigger problem, the drivers for the corresponded USB-Serial devices were included in the Debian that came with the board. The latest GPSD will not run, but as OpenCPN allows to dispatch the AIS and GPS data, this has not been a showstopper neither.

Since then it is running (stops about every two days - I didn't dig into this as we stop it anyhow sometimes).
Yes it uses graphic acceleration, but Sean reports that he has mad big progress since then, so really performance shouldn't be any issue at all.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47   #171

Quote:
You are so close, please don't give up. You have glxgears working.. ok. Now you must just
Code:
and make sure to run cmake again and be sure it detects opengles (right after detecting opengl) and it should work.

Of course, the toolbar and setup windows etc will be hidden... so it's not fully baked but it should work.
Thanks for your support.

I'll give it a try
Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/include/GLES/

cmake -DCFLAGS="-O2 -march=native" ../
-- *** Build Architecture is armhf
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 3.3.1618 ***
-- Found OpenGL...
--     Lib: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLU.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGL.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSM.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libICE.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXext.so
--     Include: /usr/include
-- Found OpenGLESv1
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf;-pthread;;;-L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf;;;-lwx_baseu-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_core-2.8;-lwx_baseu_net-2.8;-lwx_baseu_xml-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_html-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8
--
-- *** Staging to build opencpn  ***
-- *** Will install to /usr/  ***
-- Found GTK2
-- Portaudio Not Found...
-- Building with tinyxml includes
-- S57 ENC support: enabled
-- Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
--
-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
--
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- Writing spec file...
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CFLAGS

-- Build files have been written to: /media/7830-41F1/opencpnhack/OpenCPN-optimum/build
So I guess the line:
Code:
-- Found OpenGLESv1
Is a good sign.

I'll start compiling and report back the result in a couple of hours;-)

Regards
Peter
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40   #172
MAd

Boat: Vindoe 50SL, 35feet

Sean,
thanks for your advise, I will move on with the Cubiboard2, because I plan to install HW acceleration and your version anyway. One question on that: I're read somewhere (don't remember if it was github, opencpn.org or somewhere else), that your improved code will be included in 3.3 beta step by step. Is this correct?
Re your plan to issue a set, I'm interested in two ways in your idea:
1) I also need support to get a full opencpn system for my boat up and running (I remember having downloaded and compiled Linux 0.9 and programmed c++ at university but I haven't worked in that area >10years)
2) I'm always interested in new business ideas absed on technology. I'm developing (more as a hobby) guitar tube amps and have a business partner selling those as DIY kits in Europe, so this business is not new to me. If you're intersted, just give me a shout.
BTW Why is Olimex A20 out of your solution? Their board has built in voltage regulation and a connector for LCD displays, also orderable from them.
Regards,
Martin
MAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36   #173

Boat: Albin Vega, 27'

Quote:
What do you think of a $25 raspberry pi with a $25 lcd display?
5" High Resolution HD 800 480 Car TFT LCD Monitor Screen 2CH Video | eBay

Of course we still need a cheap efficient buck converter to make 5 volts from whatever batteries, and some kind of input keypad or possibly mouse or touch screen? What would work best if it could also get splashed?
I use one of these to power a USB hub & raspi:

DC/DC Converter Regulator 12V Stepdown to 5V 3A 15W Car Power Supply Module | eBay (I bought it a couple of years ago, same model different supplier)

Alisdair
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53   #174

Quote:
Thanks for your support.

I'll give it a try
Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/include/GLES/

cmake -DCFLAGS="-O2 -march=native" ../
-- *** Build Architecture is armhf
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 3.3.1618 ***
-- Found OpenGL...
--     Lib: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLU.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGL.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSM.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libICE.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXext.so
--     Include: /usr/include
-- Found OpenGLESv1
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf;-pthread;;;-L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf;;;-lwx_baseu-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_core-2.8;-lwx_baseu_net-2.8;-lwx_baseu_xml-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_html-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8
--
-- *** Staging to build opencpn  ***
-- *** Will install to /usr/  ***
-- Found GTK2
-- Portaudio Not Found...
-- Building with tinyxml includes
-- S57 ENC support: enabled
-- Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
--
-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
--
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- Writing spec file...
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CFLAGS

-- Build files have been written to: /media/7830-41F1/opencpnhack/OpenCPN-optimum/build
So I guess the line:
Code:
-- Found OpenGLESv1
Is a good sign.

I'll start compiling and report back the result in a couple of hours;-)

Regards
Peter

Compiled and started with
Code:
opencpn -fullscreen
It starts and works as expected, changed config to opengl and the colors looks crazy and the system becomes extremly slow.

Regards
Peter
Old 08-05-2014, 17:48   #175

Are you using vector or raster charts? What bit depth? Please ensure you are using 32bpp not 8 or something.

With raster charts, ensure you have compression and compression caching enabled as opengl options, then on the charts tab, rebuild the database.
Old 09-05-2014, 00:07   #176

Quote:
Are you using vector or raster charts? What bit depth? Please ensure you are using 32bpp not 8 or something.

With raster charts, ensure you have compression and compression caching enabled as opengl options, then on the charts tab, rebuild the database.
I'm using vector charts cm93.

Xorg.0.log:
Code:
[    32.077] (II) FBTURBO(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
        "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[    32.077] (==) FBTURBO(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
I guess this means 32 bit.

However, if I have understood it correctly, X windows should not be used at all. The toolbar at the top is there so my guess is that X windows are still there, alt-tab works and shows other X applications running, when I did run glxgear it used the full screen and not X windows.
I hope I make myself clear;-)

I do not have a clue howto check depth in OpenGL.

Regards
Peter
Old 09-05-2014, 17:03   #177

Quote:
I'm using vector charts cm93.

Xorg.0.log:
Code:
[    32.077] (II) FBTURBO(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
        "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[    32.077] (==) FBTURBO(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
I guess this means 32 bit.

However, if I have understood it correctly, X windows should not be used at all. The toolbar at the top is there so my guess is that X windows are still there, alt-tab works and shows other X applications running, when I did run glxgear it used the full screen and not X windows.
I hope I make myself clear;-)

I do not have a clue howto check depth in OpenGL.

Regards
Peter
You used LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib when running opencpn the same as glxgears?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:00   #178

Quote:
You used LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib when running opencpn the same as glxgears?
Yes.

The terminal window where I start opencpn from fills with:
Code:
(opencpn:16157): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_new: assertion `GDK_IS_VISUAL (visual)' failed

(opencpn:16157): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(opencpn:16157): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
libGL: built on May  6 2014 13:30:55
libGL: framebuffer output enabled
/dev/ttyUSB0: Permission denied

(opencpn:16157): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 13

(opencpn:16157): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 13

glXGetProcAddress: glGenFramebuffers not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glGenRenderbuffers not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glFramebufferTexture2D not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glBindFramebuffer not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glFramebufferRenderbuffer not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glRenderbufferStorage not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glBindRenderbuffer not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glCheckFramebufferStatus not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glDeleteFramebuffers not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glDeleteRenderbuffers not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glGenerateMipmap not found.
glXGetProcAddress: glGetCompressedTexImage not found.
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
Regards
Peter
Old 18-05-2014, 07:42   #179

Quote:
Yes.

The terminal window where I start opencpn from fills with:
Code:
(opencpn:16157): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_new: assertion `GDK_IS_VISUAL (visual)' failed

(opencpn:16157): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(opencpn:16157): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
libGL: built on May  6 2014 13:30:55
libGL: framebuffer output enabled
/dev/ttyUSB0: Permission denied

glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
glGetError 0x500
Regards
Peter
I do not know howto move forward.

Maybe the best choice is to move to a platform that likely will be useful. If I buy a Cubieboard 3. Will you help me Sean to get it up and running with accelerated OpenGL ES?

Regards
Peter
Old 18-05-2014, 08:15   #180

Boat: Wasa 410

I hope we can still get it to work on a RPi.
For me it would be quite ok to use a different more poweful computer to make all the main planning of a route.
Then save it and load the route into a low power RPi during sailing.
A standard pc is way too powerhungry to be kept on all the time.
I hope Sean is just to occupied with the merge of the optimized code into the main branch, and can spend some time on the RPi later.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn