Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 08:00   #46

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Release Candidate Version 3.1.1417 Released

Hello Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Dave,
... Some of these hotkeys do not have any visual feedback to the user, which, although the information removed is not critical, is never a good thing in user interface design.
What do you (and other developers / users) think ?
Marius
For me, this a good idea. (At least until we have too many shortcuts of the same type).

B.R. Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:32   #47
Marine Service Provider

muttnik...

Thanks for the feedback. Terminology/topology of network connections is usually confusing to describe in words, much easier in pictures.

Anyway, I agree with your general idea. A single TCP server connection should service multiple clients, as is "normal" in server design. Especially so since there is no command protocol layer in the stack, and all we have to do is echo NMEA data to all open client sockets..

Probably we would use threads, since that construct is portable across all our platforms.

So, we will add it to the 3.3 list of development features to come. Meanwhile, we can be satisfied with one client per server for Version 3.2

Thanks again
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:14   #48
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

I have set up OpenCPN to load a few layers on start up. These layers have some waypoints in them. On initial start up the waypoints from the layers are visible even when "Show on chart" is not selected and "Show WPT names" is not selected. The routes in those layers are not visible. I have to show the layer on the chart and then hide the layer in order for the waypoints to disappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Open CPN with layers.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	55474  
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:38   #49
Marine Service Provider

mrm...

I agree, it is probably a good idea to have some annunciator which will show the state of hotkey toggles.

Lets add that to the list of features to consider for Version 3.3 Beta series, starting in a month or so.

Thanks
Dave
Old 22-02-2013, 09:58   #50
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
mrm...

I agree, it is probably a good idea to have some annunciator which will show the state of hotkey toggles.

Lets add that to the list of features to consider for Version 3.3 Beta series, starting in a month or so.

Thanks
Dave
Dave, Hakan, Gilletarom, thank you for your remarks.

I spent some more time on this and tied into inner state variables. In two cases it was easy (S and T), as all necessary accessors were there. In two other cases (A and L) I tried to add necessary logic, but it is not perfect yet.

Anyway, a patch is attached. Please have a look.

Marius
Attached Files
File Type: doc hotkeysStatus_2.patch.gz.doc (5.9 KB, 52 views)
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:16   #51

Hello LJH,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I have set up OpenCPN to load a few layers on start up. These layers have some waypoints in them. ....
I try with a route but for me there is no problem. Strange icon. I think how the gpx file content is concerned. Please, send here the gpx file of this route.
B.R. Gilletarom
Old 23-02-2013, 02:05   #52
LJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello LJH,

I try with a route but for me there is no problem. Strange icon. I think how the gpx file content is concerned. Please, send here the gpx file of this route.
B.R. Gilletarom
Here is the gpx. Not sure if matters that the install was parallel to 3.0.2
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2012 Travels.gpx.doc (269.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 23-02-2013, 02:17   #53

Hello LJH,

Thank you for sending your gpx file. Indeed, its structure is completely different from the structure of gpx files generated by OpenCPN.
Simply create a road with two roads, the export with the command "Export" which is in the road manager, and then open it with notepad to realize.

What version of OpenCPN you use?

Loading the file as a simple route, is found to be apparently related nine different routes wich appear in the "Route" tab. it also contains many independent waypoint which then appear in the "Waypoint" tab.

How did you made ​​this gpx file ?

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 23-02-2013, 10:18   #54

Hello Dave,

Using the gpx file that LJH send in a previous post, I use the button "List contents".

Then I masked the layer. In this case, all roads that are in the "route" tab are also hidden, but the waypoints that are in the "WP" tab are not hidden.

This does not seem normal. Moreover, if the roads are hidden in the tab route, then it makes prevents the use of "Export all that is visible ..." button ineffective.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 23-02-2013, 12:05   #55
LJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello LJH,

Thank you for sending your gpx file. Indeed, its structure is completely different from the structure of gpx files generated by OpenCPN.
Simply create a road with two roads, the export with the command "Export" which is in the road manager, and then open it with notepad to realize.

What version of OpenCPN you use?

Loading the file as a simple route, is found to be apparently related nine different routes wich appear in the "Route" tab. it also contains many independent waypoint which then appear in the "Waypoint" tab.

How did you made ​​this gpx file ?

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom,

Thanks for the quick reply. The GPX file I posted was made in OpenCPN3.0.2. (35 routes and 211 items). File header copied from Notepad for posted file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<gpx version="1.1" creator="OpenCPN" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" xmlnspencpn="http://www.opencpn.org">
<wpt lat="18.129783333" lon="-3.082383333">
Dave and Gilletarom,

When I did as suggested in the quoted post I did some other exploring to see if I could find the cause of my problem. I will go through the steps I did and the results. First I would like to point out that I use OpenCPN with all of my routes and waypoints in layers. Some layers I load on start from the Layer's directory, some I load as a temporary layer, and I usually import a working layer, that I save before exiting OpenCPN. After exporting the layer I delete all routes and waypoints. As a result I often load a layer that has both routes and waypoints in it.

1. I made two routes.
Route A by using Ctrl R and clicking two points on the chart.
Route B by using two existing waypoints that were on the chart. (User nearby waypoint?)

2. I exported the routes individually and then deleted all routes and waypoints.

3. I loaded OpenCPN with Route A in the layer directory:
  • No route or waypoints were visible
  • Layer Tab of Route Manager shows layer hidden with one item
  • toggling “show/Hide” layer worked as it should.
  • List/Unlist contents would show/remove the route in the Route Tab
  • I clicked on the icon (eye) to show the route and the route appeared, and the waypoints were hidden, but under the Layer's Tab the layer has the eye crossed out as if it is hidden. Route would toggle as the icon was clicked.
  • With the route visible, I went back to the Layer's Tab, selected Show on Chart and the waypoints appeared

4. I closed OpenCPN and re-opend it with Route B in the layers dierectory.
  • The two points that were used to make the route were visble and the route was not
  • Layers Tab shows layer with 3 items is hidden, Route and Waypoint Tabs are blank
  • Back to the Layers Tab - waypoint names toggled (show/hide) for the visible waypoints without showing the route (Attach 1)
  • Selected List contents ,
  • Route Tab - route displayed in Route Tab (attach 2)
  • Waypoints Tab – duplicate waypoints, two visible and 2 not (Attach 3)
  • Select Show on chart – route and all waypoints visble (all 4 in Waypoints Tab)
  • Select Hide from chart – route and all waypoints disappear
  • go to Routes Tab and click on the route icon – Question appears “Do you also want to toggle the visibility of shared waypoints being part of this route?”
  • Select no – route appears without waypoints (hiding the route brings up the same question and the route disappears with either a yes or a no answer. Waypoints remain hidden)
  • Select yes – route and two waypoints appear (hiding the route brings up the same question and the route disappears with either a yes or a no answer. Waypoints will stay visible if no is selected.)
  • With either a yes or no selection the layer shows that it is hidden under the Layers Tab

5. Next I deleted the layer and then imported the Route B gpx file.
  • Route and waypoints appear
  • Route Tab – route is visible
  • Waypoints Tab – 2 waypoints listed (vice 4).
  • Route and waypoints toggle in a similar fashion to step 4 above.

6. Next I loaded a gpx file that had only waypoints – no routes. It loaded properly. When the layer showed hidden on start the waypoints were not visible.

7. It appeared that gpx files with both waypoints and routes behave differently than a layer with only waypoints. I loaded several gpx files and for all files loaded as layers that had routes and waypoints the waypoints were visible initially. A quick “Show” then “Hide” and the layer behave normally from then on. When I selected list contents there were multiple copies of every waypoint. Some waypoints had as many as 11 entries. I suspect it was one copy for every route that used the waypoint. (I just went back to 3.0.2 and it showed multiple copies of the waypoints as well.)

Best Regards,
Lyndon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attach 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	55570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach 3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	55571  

Name:	Attach 1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	55572  
Old 23-02-2013, 13:43   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
The GPX file I posted was made in OpenCPN3.0.2. (35 routes and 211 items). ...Dave ...

Best Regards,
Lyndon
This is a real stress test
Old 23-02-2013, 20:10   #57
Marine Service Provider

LJH/Gilletarom...

Thanks for your detailed report.

Clearly, there is trouble with Layers containing shared waypoints. Also, probably some trouble with initial Layer waypoint visibility.

It is unfortunate that this was discovered so late in the 3.1 Beta testing phase. I'm afraid that we have passed the cutoff date for non-fatal bugs in the 3.2 Release. We will, however, get this bug high on the list of corrections scheduled for the 3.3 Beta test program. This test program will start up in a month or so.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 24-02-2013, 01:08   #58
LJH

Dave,
Sorry I was late discovering it. As you say, it is not critical. I think is is a good idea to make it a know bug for 3.2 and leaving it for 3.3. It is not difficult to work with.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Lyndon
Old 24-02-2013, 09:50   #59

Boat: Oneoff

Anchor Alarm,
Did something change in the anchoralarm (sound). I'm at anchor right now and did discover that the anchoralarm doesn't sound any more. Visable alarm is OK and play ships bell also work. I'm getting this problem using Kubuntu and gentoo. This is costing a lot of sleep;-)
Dirk
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 10:26   #60

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
Anchor Alarm,
Did something change in the anchoralarm (sound). I'm at anchor right now and did discover that the anchoralarm doesn't sound any more. Visable alarm is OK and play ships bell also work. I'm getting this problem using Kubuntu and gentoo. This is costing a lot of sleep;-)
Dirk
Dirk
I just did a test with 64 bits Kubuntu, and it just worked.
Testing further, some of the old sounds I had, did not play at all.
When changing alert sound, the only way I found to have this change actually working as an anchor alarm sound, is to restart O. The test button is OK but the update is not sent to the anchor alarm on "OK" or "Apply".

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn