Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 06:56   #61

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 Release

Hello Alexej-osm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexej-osm View Post
Hi,
I am contributor to OpenSeaMap and we recently started to pre-produce chart bundles of kap-charts from our online map for download and offline use.
... The kap chart bundles can be found at:
KAP-charts from OpenSeaMap - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Alexej
I need to know how you guarantee the quality of the "charts" of OpenSeaMap.

How can we be certain that the charts are both:
- Exact with respect to the accuracy of the points
- Complete regarding all objects must be available on the electronic chart to navigate safely.

This is not an issue "in the air". I would like to update as much as possible in a tutorial on French OpenCPN. I wish to inform the French users, as well as possible. This is especially important:
- France is, to my knowledge, the only country that considers the electronic mapping can completely replace the paper mapping.
- The French legislation requires us to have on board nautical charts "up to date".

I count on you to be precise in your answer.
Thank you in advance. Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:59   #62

Boat: Dufour 35

The WMM plugin.
Only ½ the labels "Boat"and "Cursor"are visible.
Kubuntu 14.04.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wmm.png
Views:	108
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	117241

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:21   #63

Boat: Dufour 35

Grib Icons

Check the Icons below.
Libraries installed as instructed in the "Linux Compile" documentation, hopefully including all necessary SVG libraries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grib.png
Views:	175
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	117242

Kubuntu 14.04

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:42   #64

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Alexej-osm,
I need to know how you guarantee the quality of the "charts" of OpenSeaMap.

How can we be certain that the charts are both:
- Exact with respect to the accuracy of the points
- Complete regarding all objects must be available on the electronic chart to navigate safely.
Because these maps (I don't use the word "Chart") are do-it-yourself nobody can ever confirm any accuracy. Don't use them for navigation!

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:44   #65

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Grib Icons

Check the Icons below.
Libraries installed as instructed in the "Linux Compile" documentation, hopefully including all necessary SVG libraries.

Attachment 117242

Kubuntu 14.04

Thomas
I have claimed the developer already. I have switched back to the old icons which are far better.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:59   #66
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

OSM (=OpenStreetMap) is do-it-yourself or crowd sourced as well. Used by a lot of serious applications.

That OpenSeaMap is not (yet?) at level with official or from-official-charts-derived material is clear.
But everybody should be free to judge if this chart material is useful for one's objectives.
Navionics and other commercial providers are offering crowd-sourced bathymetry charts. That's for me in the same line. With the difference that the latter comes in a format that nobody but systems from the same vendor can use.
That OpenSeaMap strives to make their charts accessible for a broad public by offering commonly used formats is positive for me.

Gilletarom: please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that France defines "up-to-date electronic chart material" for leisure crafts as "official or derived from official charts" plus updated recently (last year?).

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:56   #67

Hello Carcode,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I have claimed the developer already. I have switched back to the old icons which are far better.
Gerhard
For the Grib, Jean Pierre has replaced all the icons with png svg icons I designed it. It should appear in the next beta or 4.2. It is much better for those of us who have a large screen and, in addition, a good definition screen.
For example, going from a 10 inch to 13 inch, the icons become a little blurry.
With a 10 inch tablet, passing 1014 x 600 to 2500? 1960 were obtained tiny icons in PNG. If we enlarged the cursor is in the "Options / User interface", they became blurred.

By replacing the PNG icons by svg icons, this has resolved the issue. In any case, the icons are clear. It's very nice.

Best regards. Gilletarom
Old 22-01-2016, 09:12   #68

Carcode,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Because these maps (I don't use the word "Chart") are do-it-yourself nobody can ever confirm any accuracy. Don't use them for navigation!
Gerhard
It is also my view. but since we released these cards, much as those who propose them are clear and precise on this subject.

Hence my questions. And I hope we will have a precise answer.

Hubert,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn
Gilletarom: please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that France defines "up-to-date electronic chart material" for leisure crafts as "official or derived from official charts" plus updated recently (last year?
The regulation has changed twice in three months in the fall of 2014. It seems that the responsibility for map editors became too heavy. None of those using raster charts of the SHOM, have the right to say that it is "exactly" the SHOM charts. Just because SHOM geotiff sells them and they turn them into kap.

That said, we are forced by French law, having navigational charts on board, up to date. Choice of: paper or electronic. French regulations said that only official charts must be used by the sailors sailing under French pavilion.

Gilletarom.
Old 22-01-2016, 09:15   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
OSM (=OpenStreetMap) is do-it-yourself or crowd sourced as well. Used by a lot of serious applications.

That OpenSeaMap is not (yet?) at level with official or from-official-charts-derived material is clear.
But everybody should be free to judge if this chart material is useful for one's objectives.
Navionics and other commercial providers are offering crowd-sourced bathymetry charts. That's for me in the same line. With the difference that the latter comes in a format that nobody but systems from the same vendor can use.
That OpenSeaMap strives to make their charts accessible for a broad public by offering commonly used formats is positive for me.

Gilletarom: please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that France defines "up-to-date electronic chart material" for leisure crafts as "official or derived from official charts" plus updated recently (last year?).

Hubert
+1

Mike
Rasbats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:34   #70
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom/Littlechay....

re:
I wanted to edit this connection, bypassing the box "Remove connection" to make a TCP connection, I validated. I noticed that scrolling NMEA sentences provided by the GPS has not stopped.

This won't be fixed for O4.2. It's a corner case, and the fix would introduce significant risk of regression.

In my testing, the anomaly only occurs if you change the type of an existing and enabled connection in the list. Doesn't happen if you simply enable/disable, or delete that connection. And its only a transient for this instance of O. All correct on next startup.
If you find otherwise, we'll look at it again.

Should go onto the Flyspray list, so that it won't be forgotten.

Thanks for the catch.
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:12   #71

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Gilletarom/Littlechay....
:
snip
:
Should go onto the Flyspray list, so that it won't be forgotten.

Thanks for the catch.
Dave
I agree with Dave. There are many other similar "corner" cases with NMEA data streaming into OpenCPN. OpenCPN just is not set to allow the NMEA streams to change sources on the fly. If we want to allow this it will take a lot of programming and testing to check every conceivable crazy thing someone will do in regards to NMEA source swapping around. Proabably 99.9% of cruisers never change their NMEA source streams and if they do restarting OpenCPN is not a huge burden.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:16   #72

I believe this is new:

Code:
First-chance exception at 0x75B1D8A8 in opencpn.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: CacheOverflowException at memory location 0x0018CE08.
I see this in the application output when running in debug mode under MSW 10. If it happens more than a few times then I believe O just simply exists which I have seen once. I do not know if this is a real problem or not.
Old 22-01-2016, 10:33   #73
Marine Service Provider

@cagney...

re:
Grib Icons

Check the Icons below.

Thomas...
Cannot reproduce.
Fresh build this morning on Kubuntu 14.04. All fine for me. ???

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 11:49   #74

Hello Transmitterdan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Proabably 99.9% of cruisers never change their NMEA source streams and if they do restarting OpenCPN is not a huge burden.
Hmm ... Transmitter Dan, remember that it makes 6 years that I use and test O ... And here I am part of 0.0099999% of people who arrived in the corner ... Great! How many miles I've traveled to get to the ...

Gilletarom.
Old 22-01-2016, 12:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

re:
*Alarm sounds does not work, incl. AIS & anchor watch.
(Luckily very few targets to consider , though.)

Anyone else having trouble with alarm sounds?

You may test easily by setting an anchor watch with GPS input disabled. Alarm should sound, independent of ownship position relative to anchor watch point. Thus the anchor watch function acts as a GPS validity alarm as well.

Turn on the GPS, move the watch point close to the ship, and the alarm should stop.

Thanks
Dave
AIS and anchor alarm sounds work ok on Windows 10 as does ship's bells.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn