Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2012, 17:29   #91

Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

That is great news. I sent an email to one of the BR24 Roboat developer to see if he or any others of his team would be interested in being involved. I know he is very busy but if so maybe this will help.
deandavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 19:39   #92

Boat: Hylas 47

Stefano,

What is the existing Android app that can control OpenCPN?

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
I will have multiple displays, one in the cockpit and another on a tablet that will also be able to control the OpenCPN through an android app (BTW, this is already possible).
gdavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 15:23   #93

Dave

The radar manufacturers offer scanner heads form a simple enclosed radome to large open scanner heads. The larger units giving much better resolution.

Do you know if your program will be able to be used with all of the different scanner heads offered by Garmin or is it tied to a particular type and size of head ??

The same question would of course apply to the other manufacturers like Navico who you are also considering.

Your efforts in this area are greatly appreciated .
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 15:47   #94
Marine Service Provider

doug...

I expect that the software interface to the various scanners for a particular manufacturer and generation will be largely compatible. I think its impractical for us to try to acquire "one each" of all scanners and vendors, so we shall need to rely upon brave Beta testers to confirm this thesis.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 01:55   #95

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Great Project! I have a (recently failed!) Nobeltec radar. Replacement is $4.5K here in New Zealand!!! Not going to do that. Lookis like open CPN is the go. Where can I downlaod the Gradar plugin for windows (64 bit)? Thx
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:48   #96

Boat: Contessa 32

I'm new here and I want to thank everyone for Putting together a great product.
st paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25   #97

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II

Hello all,
I've recently finished a plugin for the SIMRAD/NAVICO BR24 radar using Dave's Gradar as a start. It's a little rough but if anyone want's to try it I can send a copy of the dll (for 3.0.2) and help getting it going. I don't have a SIM/NAV/LOW front end for my unit and so would like feedback about any interactions. Is there anyone in the Northern California region who'd like to work with me?

Hasta,

Dave(too)
cowelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:37   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowelld View Post
Hello all,
I've recently finished a plugin for the SIMRAD/NAVICO BR24 radar using Dave's Gradar as a start.
This is really great - wow! You are a hero :-)
Is the functionality identical to what has been done with the Garmin?
What features would you think should be added next?

By the way, has there been done more for the Garmin in the meantime?
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 00:23   #99

Great work. I assume the 3G unit would also work. I'd be willing to acquire one and try it out. I'm a recent convert to Ubuntu and might need some help compiling the plug-in. I'll be trying that this weekend...

New to this forum. How do I go about getting in contact with cowelid to obtain the files.

I am in Northern CA, actually more Central Coast.
stscgaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:17   #100

Hi again,
I didn't mention that I'd developed the BR24 program in a Windows environ and haven't checked it out with Linux yet. I have Fedora (14 I think) loaded on a machine somewhere and will look to repeat the entire make-compile- build process. Unfortunately the Linux driver for my "boat PC" video chip doesn't exist and so I have to use an XP operating system. I've used Vista and XP mostly up until now and will try 7 later today.
Vista seems to have a problem with the OpenCPN program as it bombs on closing. There's no harm done but having to close the "Searching for Solution" and "Notify Microsoft" pop-ups. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hasta,
Dave
Old 13-12-2012, 08:27   #101

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

How difficult will it be to implement the Timed Transmission and Guard Zone functions found on most RADARs ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:01   #102

Boat: Wasa 410

Hi Dave (both of you)

This is great news, OpenCPN plug-ins for both the Garmin GMR18HD and the BR24. Great.

I did a quick search, and it seems that maybe the BR24 has a tad better performance when comparing them. But then, I am not sure it is due to a better control display, or whether it is only radome that is better on the BR24 (a little larger, giving better resolution).

To my question:
Is the BR24 plug-in very similar to the GRM18?
Is it fair to day that feature enhancements in one of the plug-ins will quickly be incorporated in the other?
Or are the communication so different that it is essentially two completely different Plug-Ins?

My point is, for most users it is probably more valuable with a well developed feature set in the plug-in than the best technical performance.

Comments?
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:52   #103

Believe it or not I haven't messed with radar since the military days and really don't have a familiarity with modern systems so I can't judge what's good. If Timed Transmission means firing off a "pulse" every minute or so then that's easy, if Guard Zone means anything on the "scope" rings an alarm bell then that wouldn't be hard to do either (allowing that OpenCPN has an alarm bell to ring). The nature of the BR24 is that it hasn't any warm up time or issues with high voltages or currents and so a wake-up-and-alarm based on a five minute cycle would allow some benefits when spotting ships at sea but might not work for crab pots.
I'm very low on the commercial radar knowledge curve and so will have to research the features common on what's out there. For example I noted that the Lowrance HDS units use color differentiation on signal strength while Gradar simply varied the intensity of red. I'm trying out the color rendition scheme and depending on the way it looks will make it an option. If you have an idea then identify where you get it from i.e. a GARMIN, FORUNO, RAYMARINE, or SIMRAD and I'll see if I can find a demo unit or documentation and check it out.
The BR24 seems to be very good at short range definition and from what little time I've used it in the field was able to see posts, buoys and even bulrushes on bars in the San Joaquin while mounted on my cabin top. I haven't been able to check out use for long range or with real weather and waves though. Maybe it'll show a squall and maybe it can't deal with five foot chop. It saw individual geese at 50' but might not see a flock of seagulls at a mile. I'm a poor evaluator at this stage.
I'm also not a programmer. I get by and will be dogged at figuring out the algorithms but generally I'm plagiarizing someone else and don't have the intimate knowledge of C++ or any of the other predominant computer languages. I don't write elegant or efficient code. I'm still learning.

Hasta,

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 20:16   #104

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah

Quick question so I understand....

In terms of hardware, all I need to get this working is the F2F connector and a GMR 18 HD?

Also, can you control the radar like you would otherwise (gain/clutter/etc?)

Thanks, this is awesome!
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 11:07   #105

Boat: Helia 44
Thumbs up Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Hi Dave,

This radar plugin is superb! How would you rate it's maturity? My vessel has a Raymarine C70 chartplotter. I mainly use OpenCPN now for navigation, on a laptop, and would like to make use of the radar overlay. Planning to buy a Garmin GMR 24 HD, and run overlay on a laptop, but would need full control from the laptop as I dont have a controlling chart plotter.

The alternative off-course is to go for the Raymarine radar system, but then I would loose OpenCPN compatibility.

Much appreciated,

Saltypaws
SaltyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar