Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 05:18   #871

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

BTW, there is a bug in the plugin (including the current beta) that makes the plugin 'miscount' the # of missing spokes dramatically with HALO. It works OK with 3G/4G.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 10:09   #872

Hello,
I am a Dutch sailor and I lost my Raymarine Radar and MFD with lightning and I am now cruising with OpenCPN on PC without radar. I am now in San Andrés Colombia and want to cross the Pacific this summer and I am interested to buy a radar from a neighbor cruiser, a Garmin GMR 18 HD with no cables.
- what hardware do I need, what cables etc. To run the radar with OpenCPN on a laptop. It is very difficult to get parts/supplies in this area of the world, but basic network stuff is available.
- I have all the navigation data inclusive AIS via a multiplexer (Shipmodul) and a router available via wifi on PC. Can I use this router to get also the radar data available on my navigation laptop?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Loud van Kessel
SV Rafiki
Loud van Kessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 10:21   #873

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud van Kessel View Post
Hello,
I am interested to buy a radar from a neighbor cruiser, a Garmin GMR 18 HD with no cables.
- what hardware do I need, what cables etc. To run the radar with OpenCPN on a laptop.
You need 2 ethernet cables,(one long to the radar dome and a short) a power cable, a Amphenol MRJ-5780-01 connector and a switch. Maybe the power cable is the tricky one to get hold of.

You should have a look at this :
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...-(Garmin).html

The GMR 18 HD has not been verified within the radar_pi yet although the code is there ready to be tested. However it might work with the original plugin written by Dave.
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 10:31   #874

Loud van Kessel,
Maybe you want to to be the first to test the 18 HD within the radar_pi when you have the radar installed. We have been looking for someone to do this.
/Hans
Old 15-05-2022, 10:51   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
You need 2 ethernet cables,(one long to the radar dome and a short) a power cable, a Amphenol MRJ-5780-01 connector and a switch. Maybe the power cable is the tricky one to get hold of.

You should have a look at this :
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...-(Garmin).html

The GMR 18 HD has not been verified within the radar_pi yet although the code is there ready to be tested. However it might work with the original plugin written by Dave.
Impossible to get the Amphenol MRJ-5780-01 here on San Andrés. What is this and can I built it myself? I have a PoE....
Old 15-05-2022, 11:41   #876

Hello,
Can I use a standard PoE injector as alternative for Amphenol MRJ-5780-01? A PoE injector gives power on 4&5 as positive and 7&8 as negative.
Kind regards,
Loud van Kessel
SV Rafiki
Old 15-05-2022, 12:08   #877

Quote:
Hello,
Can I use a standard PoE injector as alternative for Amphenol MRJ-5780-01? A PoE injector gives power on 4&5 as positive and 7&8 as negative.
Kind regards,
Loud van Kessel
SV Rafiki
Probably you can by connecting the "positive" to ground. Only thing I am concerned about is if also grounding pin 4 breaks something.
Old 15-05-2022, 14:30   #878

Quote:
Hello,
Kind regards,
Loud van Kessel
SV Rafiki
I don’t think so. Probably your best bet is to ‘operate’ on the cable and extract whatever wire color is pin 5 and ground this to the shield wire.
Old 15-05-2022, 14:32   #879

Quote:
Hello,
Kind regards,
Loud van Kessel
SV Rafiki
This is the ‘Chinese’ version of PoE that is in violation of all ethernet standards, not that I don’t use this, but just saying. Real PoE is like USB high power, negotiated before power is delivered.
Old 15-05-2022, 15:25   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
I don’t think so. Probably your best bet is to ‘operate’ on the cable and extract whatever wire color is pin 5 and ground this to the shield wire.
Thanks, I will try this👍
Old 15-05-2022, 15:40   #881

Can I use the Radar PlugIn over wifi or do I have to use the ethernet port on my laptop?
Old 15-05-2022, 15:56   #882

That will complicate things.
Read the section :Shared ethernet port
in the document I sent a link to.
/Hans
Old 28-07-2022, 06:46   #883

Hi all,
I have recently installed a Garmin gmr 18 xhdr on my boat and I cannot integrate it into opencpn.

Here are a few infos about my setup:

- windows 10
- opencpn 5.0
- radar_pi v5.04-ov50
- I have soldered a switch to an Digikey Amphenol MRJ578001 adapter (pin5 to chassis). I wonder if I have to connect the chassis to the 12V ground (minus) terminal of the boat, too? I ask, because when I turn on the switch
between pin5 and the MRJ578001 chassis, nothing seems to happen.

Unfortunately, I have not too many experiences with internet configuration, so please excuse my very basic questions.

When I plug the ethernet cable into my computer and switch on power supply to my radar, the computer doesn't recognize an ethernet cable to be attached.
I configured my ethernet2 adapter TCP/IPv4 settings to:
IP address: 172.16.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway: left empty

Is that correct?

No network connection can be established and opencpn claims:
No interface found. Interface must match 172.16/12

Do I have to establish a connection within opencpn, too? If yes, what settings do I need?

I also have some difficulties understanding the manual for the software configuration for the radar plugin. It talks about master/slave modes to be chosen, but I can't find any setting like that in my plugin. Or was this manual for an older version of the radar plugin?

Anny support is highly appreciated, as we a currently cruising the great lakes and I would love to get the radar tested as soon as possible, before the warranty expires...
Uwe
uweboerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 14:38   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaunchy View Post
Hakan,
Once I was able to get the "Beta" Catalog to be accessible by finding the opencpn.ini file and pasting the sentence:
[PlugIns]
CatalogExpert=1

Then when I restarted OpenCPN on my M1 chip MacBook Pro on the boat and went to Options/Plugins and pushed the "settings" button, it now allowed me to chose the Beta catalog and I was able to download and install the new beta radar plugin. Once that plugin was installed, the radar plugin showed up in the window where all of the enabled plugins appear and when I pressed that, both the 4A and 4B radars of my SIMRAD NAVICO 4G radar showed up and I could address them as usual. They seem to be working perfectly now. Thank you for helping me with this.
I am running Open CPN 5.6.2 on both my Mac computer and on a Raspberry Pi4. I have a NAVICO/SIMRAD 4G radar which allows me to show Radar 4GA and 4GB simultaneously. Some time ago I posted that when I tried to run both radar displays, my Open CPN program would freeze up. I can run either 4GA or 4GB with no problems, but when I try to display them both, it freezes up. In the previous posts (which I can no longer find) someone pointed me to the beta version of the radar plugin which I downloaded at the time and it seemed to fix my problem. Since then radar plugin 5.3.3 came out and was advertised to have included those fixes, but I installed it, and now I have the same problem with my program freezing up when I display both radars. When I go to the Beta catalogue I just see radar 5.3.3 and when I go to the normal master catalogue I see radar 5.3.3. How do I fix this problem?
SirChaunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 06:56   #885

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Anyone who needs a good as new heading sensor working with OpenCPN I just posted an add to sell mine under the classified ad section of the forum.

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar