Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 13:46   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry PI2

Spart...
Once there is someone with the necessary knowledge and access to the hardware, there should be, through translation of the calls to OpenGL ES, which these tiny platforms support. So far there is no such person though, as you can see in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-74082-52.html

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 18:02   #32

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Spart...
Once there is someone with the necessary knowledge and access to the hardware, there should be, through translation of the calls to OpenGL ES, which these tiny platforms support. So far there is no such person though, as you can see in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-74082-52.html

Pavel
nohal, I'm not sure what you mean by these comments ?

boat_alexandra certainly has the knowledge and has offered to get hardware video acceleration working on the Rpi2 as he has done on many other ARM boards.
He is asking for support in the donation of an Rpi2 board and HDMI monitor; A very reasonable request in my opinion.

The OpenGL to OpenGLes translation is already built in to OpenCPN (GLshim), if I understand correctly it is also used by OpenCPN on Android.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 19:22   #33

JM...
By these comments I mean exactly what you say, Sean simply does not have access to the HW needed and there is nobody else who does and has the necessary knowledge. These are the facts describing our current situation.

Pavel
Old 30-06-2015, 21:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
JM...
By these comments I mean exactly what you say, Sean simply does not have access to the HW needed and there is nobody else who does and has the necessary knowledge. These are the facts describing our current situation.

Pavel

I don't know about the HDMI monitor, but I think a Rpi2 has already been sent to Sean.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 30-06-2015, 21:50   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Hi, nohal and all -- we have loaded up and used OpenCPN on various of the Raspberry Pi. It's not been a high priority for us to use OpenCPN on the Pi since we already really load up the Pi using it for a lot of other onboard things -- anchor watch, weather station, offline imap our email, mp3 player...on and on. This is the first look I've had at this thread. I will ask husband, David, to give me an update on OpenCPN with our most recent Pi.

I do know that he felt OpenCPN on the Pi was not usable from a speed perspective but we've not put it on the latest Pi. While it could be a different story, I suspect not. This is a 5V USB-powered HDMI monitor that works well with the Pi.

Fair winds,
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Hi, nohal and all -- we have loaded up and used OpenCPN on various of the Raspberry Pi. It's not been a high priority for us to use OpenCPN on the Pi since we already really load up the Pi using it for a lot of other onboard things -- anchor watch, weather station, offline imap our email, mp3 player...on and on. This is the first look I've had at this thread. I will ask husband, David, to give me an update on OpenCPN with our most recent Pi.

I do know that he felt OpenCPN on the Pi was not usable from a speed perspective but we've not put it on the latest Pi. While it could be a different story, I suspect not. This is a 5V USB-powered HDMI monitor that works well with the Pi.

Fair winds,
Hi, How about donating one of these monitors to the lead developer for ARM based OpenCPN ?

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: boat_alexandra

He is currently sailing in the Pacific, but has managed to make contributions to the code from his remote location.

Alternatively, perhaps you could set up a page where people could donate to the the purchase and shipping for one of theses monitors.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:20   #37
Marine Service Provider

We have contributed to open source development projects (code.) Somehow we were of the understanding that OpenCPN is not truly open source. Sorry for the mistake. Where is it on Github or elsewhere for contributions to the code? Feel free to PM the appropriate links for the open source code respository. I'll ask David to work it into his schedule to write up his work/experience with OpenCPN on the Raspberry Pi to date. Good excuse to check it out on the Pi that we're currently using since I know he has not done so.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:28   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We have contributed to open source development projects (code.) Somehow we were of the understanding that OpenCPN is not truly open source. Sorry for the mistake. Where is it on Github or elsewhere for contributions to the code? Feel free to PM the appropriate links for the open source code respository. I'll ask David to work it into his schedule to write up his work/experience with OpenCPN on the Raspberry Pi to date. Good excuse to check it out on the Pi that we're currently using since I know he has not done so.
A bit hard to believe given it is stated virtually everywhere where it can be stated that it is open source, GPL licensed and community developed
Anyway, the main code repository is at https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN
David will pretty sure be interested in Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Have fun

Pavel
Old 01-07-2015, 10:00   #39
Marine Service Provider

Thanks! Pavel, for the links We seem to be up to our ears in other things and OpenCPN has just been background noise for several years. That's what happens when you're happy enough with your other charting /hardware options. Not sure where I gathered the idea it wasn't fully open source, just thought it wasn't --perhaps just because it hasn't managed to get folded into the Debian releases, for example. I've passed the links along just now for David's use. The latest Pi has ARMV7 rather than ARMV6 that the previous ones (that we tested) have. That makes a difference in performance -- every reason for us to re-test OpenCPN today
Old 01-07-2015, 10:10   #40

Ah, Debian... Do you want to get dirty? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=538067 Would really appreciate if someone went through all the bureaucracy.. Unfortunately it looks it's going to be me.

Pavel
Old 01-07-2015, 15:53   #41
Marine Service Provider

Nohal--looks like you've got a nice little mess to clean up. It's always something isn't it? I asked David to re-look at OpenCPN and he was just now mumbling about having to reach into Sid (wxwidgets) in order to get OpenCPN properly on Jessie this morning. LOL.

We want to keep our Pi w/ ARMV6 working smoothly with our Airmar data and all else, so I've just ordered a new Pi with the ARMV7 to load OpenCPN onto. So, hopefully it arrives while we're still close enough to be able to pick it up early next week. We'll give you the run-down on how it works and what was required to make it work -- or if it is unworkable, what are the issues.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:58   #42

Tell him to use the current master code of OpenCPN, it is using wx3.0 by default - exactly for this reason.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:15   #43

Just an update,

I gave up on the Ubuntu Mate distro. It was just not stable enough.

SO, new Raspbian Jessie minimal install (SDCARD Boot, 32GB USB ROOT). Installed Mate Desktop and lightdm. Compiled OpenCPN from source as no package available from Debian Repos. Installed ZyGrib from Repos.

All well and running as best as can be without the benefit of HW Acceleration. We are going out over the weekend for some on the water testing so will report back,

Great to see some more interest in the Pi2 as a serious low cost low power contender. I really hope that the HW Accelerated version makes progress for this platform, and that you manage to navigate the debian ecosystem and get OpenCPN into the standard repos.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:53   #44
Marine Service Provider

We had put the OpenCPN on a shelf as long as we were using our old Pi (ARMV6) but are willing to give OpenCPN another spin with the new ARMV7. The Pi itself has outstanding utility on the boat. Even the old one. We have an external HD hooked up with boat data, pdf manuals, important archives, and mp3 files. Use it with our Airmar masthead weather station set up using a QT UI with an anchor watch, wind alarm, depth alarm, and so forth. Every once in a while, David gets a wild hair and writes another little add on to that whole Airmar alarm system. If I'm worried about wind shift/direction, we set an alarm for it, etc. We need amplified speakers for it to work better as a mp3 player and there are a few other glitches, for sure. The move to the newer ARM for Pi is really going to be helpful for everything and we hope OpenCPN will now run decently on the Pi.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:42   #45

Update,

Having a few issues with connectivity. We have a WiFi AP on board all devices connect to that 192.168.0.x network. The Rpi2 has a wired connection.

This is the setup.
P2 AIS & GPS -> /dev/ttyUSB0

P1 WIND ->
P1 AP -<> Serial to USB -<> /dev/ttyUSB1
P1 REPEATER -<

P0 NET OUTPUT -< UDP 0.0.0.0 50776 (various MB & Tablet)
P0 NET OUTPUT -< TCP 192.168.0.10 50777 (Instrument Display)

I have tried using 192.168.0.255 as the ip for the UDP broadcast but cannot get a connection. I have tried using the IP of the connecting device also but that does not work.

Must be missing something. Using the latest Git from last night compiled on the Pi2.

Also there are issues with the connection dialouge not resizing to show the options and no horizontal scroll so have to manually resize to get to IP options and filter options.

Any help appreciated.

All other functions seems to work. Instrument and grib plugins work. AIS etc. all fine.

Rpi2 Raspbian Jessie, Mate desktop, Lightdm

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn