Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 15:43   #1

OpenCPN on Android

This is my first time using Cruisers Forum. I have been using OpenCPN for 5 years now. We are circumnavigating and currently in New Caledonia. Just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7+ to use at the helm. Loaded CpenCPN. Can OpenCPN on Android view MBTiles? If so, are there some instructions on how to set this up. Thanks.
PanacheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 16:56   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN on Android

Panachex welcome. I believe the paid Andriod version will display android, however I havent tried ir.
Make an mbtile folder under your charts folder. Then add the path to charts and make an mbtiles group using that path. The dump your mbtiles in the folder. Right click in the chart area (For android I think you use a long press), then select the mbtiles chart group in the dropdown. Then zoom and pan in and out to see the mbtiles.

Hope that works!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 18:26   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

In the latest version of android with the paid version of OpenCPN the way folders are managed seems to have changed. It caused no end of frustration to get it working as the software seems to want to copy the files to a proprietary location instead of just reading it off the SD card. But it eventually worked.

I donít think the documentation is up-to-date with the process, or it wasnít recently, but the good news is that it does work and weíve really enjoyed using it on the same tablet.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 19:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

PNWSalmon...
"the way folders are managed seems to have changed"

You have encountered the new Android file model called "scoped storage". This model arrived along with Android/11+, and specifies exactly which app-private folders may be used for chart storage. Previously accessible public folders (e.g. the root of an SDCard) can no longer be directly accessed. Contents must be migrated to a permitted private folder. It can be disturbing at first, but long-term provides improved app storage management and security.

You can read more about it at the OpenCPN for Android Forum.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn